IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Hello Everyone !

Like many others, I'm following this thread since many time now and I finally manage to get a ps3 compatible model (cechc) :)

So now, only missing part is Ted's guide ;)

Many many thanks in advance, and thanks to the whole community for all very useful information I've already found!

Gang, I wanted to announce that I have FINALLY updated the SACD Ripping Guide to Version 4.0. It has been rewritten with an emphasis on the new GUI way of ISO extraction (thanks again Jesus), more info on Jriver links, and I've removed all the old manual extraction and early outdated DSD info.

It's on my public dropbox account and so that link is now sitting as the last entry on our DSD database.

DSD Database

Gang, I wanted to announce that I have FINALLY updated the SACD Ripping Guide to Version 4.0. It has been rewritten with an emphasis on the new GUI way of ISO extraction (thanks again Jesus), more info on Jriver links, and I've removed all the old manual extraction and early outdated DSD info.

It's on my public dropbox account and so that link is now sitting as the last entry on our DSD database.

DSD Database

It's there but without link! Would you please check it out? Thanks

Hi ted_b,

I just purchased a PS3 CECHE01 with firmware 3.41.

Would you so kind to send me your guide and link?

Dual 2.3GHz G5 > 8GB ram > OS 10.5.8 > OCZ 60GB SSD + Barracuda ES2 1TB > Pure Music > iTunes > Lynx AES16 > Berkeley Alpha DAC V1 > Quicksilver V4 with KT-150 > Acoustat 6600 & DECCA ribbon tweeters DK30

Hi ted_b,

I just purchased a PS3 CECHE01 with firmware 3.41.

Would you so kind to send me your guide and link?

Please look four posts up (earlier) from yours. This is one reason why I publicly posted it. Thanks.

A big thank you to ted_b for the great new version of The Guide.

And a quick question from a ripping novice. How does one move from ripping one sacd to the next without quitting the ripper program? I see no option to eject the disc with a controller button. Or is it necessary to quit out of the ripper between each disc? Thx

... And a quick question from a ripping novice. How does one move from ripping one sacd to the next without quitting the ripper program? I see no option to eject the disc with a controller button. Or is it necessary to quit out of the ripper between each disc? Thx

As soon the ripper shows that it has been finished ("OK"), use the eject "button" (sonsor-switch) on your PS3 to eject the disc.

No need to quit the ripper program. Just insert a new SACD, and the ripper will restart automatically.

To be on the safe side, you might also consider using a new/different USB thumb-drive for each rip in a row, because the ripper doesn't put the rips in according folders, and - if named identically - files may be overwritten.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

DSD Database

Just a quick post to say thank you to the folks who have worked hard to create the solution for which I have waited; streaming DSD files to my MSB DAC. Ted's guide is spot on especially this latest revision. Many thanks to Ted for being the glue that keeps this project together! Thanks to Jesus for creating the GUI front-end for ISO extraction. It works like a charm! Thanks to Jason at NORTHEASTOHIO PCs for working with me to find a PS/3, re-condition, load with appropriate software, and ship. The man values quality and would not ship a system to me until it had past his quality checks and tests. It took awhile but it was worth the wait! And finally to Mr Wicked for the code. From one software engineer to another - Nice!

The sound of DSD files, stored on a FAT32 1TB Western Digital drive, streamed directly to my MSB Diamond DAC from one of it's USB inputs is identical to playing that SACD from the transport. Highest quality sound I've heard from my system. At times, scare you real! Makes you sit up and pay attention. I was able to accomplish all of this from reading this forum. Thanks again to all.

Ralph

I have experienced the following behavior with a couple SACDs.

When pressing to start ripping, the screen freezes and does not advance to the screen with the progress bar, but the ripping process actually occurs though! Just had to check when the led of the pen drive stopped blinking to know that it had finished ripping...

It happened with the SHM-SACD of Supertramp - Breakfast in America, and the Ultimate Demonstration Disk Vol 2 from Chesky.

Is this a known issue?

When pressing to start ripping, the screen freezes and does not advance to the screen with the progress bar, but the ripping process actually occurs though! Just had to check when the led of the pen drive stopped blinking to know that it had finished ripping...

It happened with the SHM-SACD of Supertramp - Breakfast in America, and the Ultimate Demonstration Disk Vol 2 from Chesky.

Is this a known issue?

I have experienced the same thing with several SACDs.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Is this a known issue?

Yes, I know this thread is long but I have documented this behavior several times here already. It's a known bug. Simply make sure the thumb drive stops blinking (i.e no activity; average about 20 min before checking) then remove it and do a hard power down on the PS3 (hold power button or remove power cord).

The only problem I had few times is "bad ripped" SACD: When playing by A+ the DSD tracks there is some kind of background noise.

The only way I found it was a bad ripping is trying to load the tracks in AudioGate, this app do not accept to mount the tracks.

Solution: Format the pen drive again and rip again.

Roch

I’ve been reading this post for weeks already.

I’d like to thank everybody for the information shared on this site.

I downgraded my original ps3 firmware 4.0 successfully that was stored in the closet for years since it was replaced by the slim version and now the PS4, installed the app and ripped and converted several of my SACD’s to play on my NAS server through the cheap Loki I bought recently.

Thank you for sharing all these information so that we can preserve our very expensive SACD’s for longer and enjoy the advances in music server technology.

Here is v.37 of the ripper (compiled in 2013 sometime)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/sacd-ripper_v0.37.zip

Here is v.37 of the extractor (released December 2012)

Downloads - sacd-ripper - SACD ripping software using a PS3 - Google Project Hosting

Larry, you have v.36 of the extractor (released Jan 9 of 2012).

Yes, it is always good practice to view your ISOs when ripped, and then shorten them to something still recognizable (some classical ISOs are ridiculously named). Even with Jesus's GUI (and no longer the great need to have it in a root directory) it is good to shorten long ISO names..and when possible rid the names of foreign characters. iI's just an extraction thing; renaming the ISO does nothing to its own table of contents.

Thanks to both Synfreak and Ted for helping out. I have been away from the CA site for a few days and just saw your posts. I will try things out and let you know how the files turn out.

Thanks again, Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Is this a known issue?

Yes, that is a known bug in version 0.3.6 (haven't tried 0.3.7).

As Ted wrote, you could just wait long enough, and shut down the PS3, or - that is what I prefer - just use a version prior to 0.3.6.

I still use 0.3.0, and don't have any problems (so far).

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Thanks to both Synfreak and Ted for helping out. I have been away from the CA site for a few days and just saw your posts. I will try things out and let you know how the files turn out.

Thanks again, Larry

Larry,

just let us know how you proceeded.

I received a PS3 that was all setup for SACD ripping from Jason at NorthEastOhioPCS today and just wanted to publicly thank him for his assistance in both finding an appropriate PS3 for the task and saving me the time of having to set it up with the proper software. If anyone is looking for a PS3 for this task, I wouldn't consider eBay as Jason's price is very reasonable IMO given that he refurbs it, provides a warranty, and is willing to pre-install the software for you.

Another big thanks to ted_b for his guide and ongoing assistance to everyone.

And finally, a HUGE thanks to those who put in the effort to figure out how to do this so we can archive our SACD collections.

By thew way, I am almost finished ripping my collection.

If anybody needs help I will do it for free. I know very well how important this is for many people, making sure some collections last for longer since some SACD's may never be released again.

I am not selling my PS3 because I still buy SACD's especially the releases from Japan.

Just send me a PM if interested I am willing to help since I am very thankful for the help I've received here.

SACD not recognized message

Hello. After successfully ripping a number of SACDs, I've started getting the following message after inserting valid SACDs:

"The current disc is empty or not recognized as an SACD, please reinsert".

I believe another user mentioned this issue earlier in the thread - it wasn't clear what the solution is, though I recall a mention of installing an earlier version of the firmware. The unit continues to play SACDs without a problem. Any current thoughts on this issue? Many thanks.