IGNORED

Peachtree Announces The DAC iT

Some readers have sent me emails asking about this DAC. It should arrive in June.

It's called the DAC iT and it's going to be $449. The Dac iT features three digital inputs, USB, Optical (galvanically isolated), and Coaxial.  The DAC iT uses the ESS Sabre 9022 DAC chip.

Technical Specifications

· 3 digital inputs USB, Coax, Optical

· Fixed line-level RCA stereo output

· ESS ES9022 Sabre DAC

· 24Bit/96kHz USB capability

· 24Bit/192kHz coaxial digital capability

· 24Bit/96kHz optical digital capability

· S/N 120dB

· Output voltage 2.0V

· Output impedance 200 ohms

· Transformer-coupled digital inputs for ground isolation

· Galvanically-isolated USB stage to reduce noise from computer's switching power supply

· External power supply 100V-240V 50Hz-60Hz 9V 1A output

· Power consumption

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Looks promising for the price.

The width and depth dimension is exactly the same as the old Mac Mini (6.5"). I wonder why don't they use 7.7" to match the new Minis.

Mac Mini ? Weiss DAC202 ? ML 326s ? ML 532h ? Wilson Sophia3

Considering it is the same price as the Halide Bridge, that is impressive. It looks like they broke with their traditional case design. I trust it sounds good?

My guess is they designed it to match the old mac mini before the new one arrived last summer.

External power supply looks like a good idea.

I'm definitely interested. I've been thinking about getting one of their products for a while but I am not interested in their amps which are, for my purposes, a bit underpowered. Five hundred dollars is a sweet spot for a dac esp. from a company that has a good track record with their products like Peachtree.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

If you have an integrated DAC, pre-amp and amp, one of these, by definition, has to be the limiting factor. I think they chose wisely making the amp the limiting factor, and now that I've played around a bit with an external amp (my classD audio kit), I'm really beginning to hear what I have missed. The DAC in this $450 thing looks like a significant improvement over what is in my Nova. I predict it is going to sound great and be a great deal. I'm keeping my eye on this as something to get for my sister to force her into computer audio...

Thanks for the questions you guys, I am Peachtree Audio's Director of Training and I hope I can provide some more detailed info.

The USB is adaptive not asynch. We decided to stick with our implementation of jitter reduction and re-clocking with the Sabre DAC, as well as galvanic isolation on the USB input. These two pieces being key to the sound we get out of our integrated units.

The DAC*iT is not really an iDac without the pure digital iPod dock. The iDac has a superior 32 bit Sabre DAC, a really robust internal power supply, toggles for non-oversampling or non-aliasing, and a few other ingredients that make it the best DAC we have done to date. That said the performance of the DAC*iT is pretty astounding to our ears.

As for the size we imagine the DAC*iT is going to be used with not only a Mac Mini, but with Sonos, AppleTV, etc. Another reason for the Sabre DAC and re-clocking on those high jitter sources.

The choice to not implement Asynch is not that big of a deal of course.

Not sure how well it would work with Apple TV2 since the audio output is often multi-channel, unless the DAC iT can decode multichannel sound?

Im not expecting it to, but a guy can hope can't he? :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

• 3 weeks later...

Chris, forgive my ignorance but does this DAC upsample to 24/192 or does the DAC (SABRE Chip) simply take on what you feed it and then convert to analogue sound?

As a beginner to CA I read alot of specifications where sometimes vendors are unclear about whether their DAC upsamples music files.

Cheers

Charles

Rega Brio-R, Calyx Coffee, Monitor Audio, MacMini Server (intel) 2011

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...