IGNORED

I'm Listening To ...

let. The MoFi version does sound very good, but so does the very first, USA CD release of G/G with the correct channel positions. There are also at least two Astrid Gilberto compilations on the Verve label that have Astrid where she belongs: Compact Jazz & the Silverline collection. Finding the album length version in Mono is even harder... only 1 that I know of... Bachelor Pad Pleasures.

I just listened to some Art Pepper last night, Chris.

But right now, it is a beautiful cool evening in Kansas City, the doors are open, the stereo is off and I am listening to the gentle sounds of nature. Sometimes I tend to forget the basics.... like how grateful I am for the ability to hear reasonably well as I progress into middle age.

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

I just spotted this. Talk about being slow. I am totally in the dark about much of the download process. I have about 300gig of material stored but all except one album has been from my own CD's. The exception is a Bruce Cocburn album, "You've Never Seen Everything". I have a lovely empty CD case. I think whoever ripped it off took about six of my socks that I can't find the matches for as well. Pervert. At any rate, I downloaded it from the iTunes store and vowed never to do that again. Perhaps if Chris is monitoring we could get a tutorial on how to address the download issue when using iTunes outside of the iTunes store. I'm serious, I am totally clueless. I used to download in MP3 from emusic but that was to have a copy of jazz tunes I was learning on guitar.

If this has been covered, my apologies but I didn't find it. I'm not sure I want iTunes upsampling my music. I find I am agreeing with Gordon about trying to leave the native resolution alone.

Any thoughts?

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

Artist: Paul Winter (and a coterie of birds)

Title: "Canyon Lullaby"

Genre: Wonderful

Good song to sample: "Canyon Chaconne"

Similar artists: Pat Metheny, sort of...

Interesting notes: Great mix of alto saxophone and ambient birds

Recording quality: Very good

Comments: When I need something worth listening to but not jangling nor demanding, I listen to this. Winter's sax playing is flowing, not harsh, virtuoso but not showing off. Winter is always interesting. I'm a newcomer to his music and am glad I made it.

• 3 weeks later...

We've become Chris Rea fans suddenly, prices great from his website, too bad the dollar blows vs the Euro.

Thank you for your order:

Item Name: The Return of the Fabulous Hofner Bluenotes Price: 30.00, Qty: 1

Sub total: 30.00

Item Name: Lets Get Away Limited vinyl (PRE-ORDER) Price: 2.00, Qty: 2

Sub total: 4.00

Item Name: Dancing Down The Stony Road Price: 6.00, Qty: 1

Sub total: 6.00

Item Name: The Blue Jukebox Price: 6.00, Qty: 1

Sub total: 6.00

Item Name: Blue Guitars Audio book Price: 30.00, Qty: 1

Sub total: 30.00

Order total: 76.00

Total including delivery: 91.00 (GBP).

One is an 11 cd set I think. One is a 3cd set with 2 10 inch vinyls. Couple are 45's

My first music order form across the pond.

No clue how they ship, they just say UK, Europe, other. And pending vinyl from Soundstage (I overpaid a lil for the Zep 3):

And pending from

Qty Name SKU Each Subtotal

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Ten (180 Gram) IMPORT EPI-726351 $24.99 $24.99

1 Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus EPI-30267 $10.99 $10.99

1 Spirit/ Clear EPI-31457 $13.99 $13.99

1 Innervisions TAM-326H $13.99 $13.99

1 Untitled VIR-1484 $18.99 $18.99

1 Jaco Pastorius EPIC-33949H $15.99 $15.99

1 Splendido Hotel COL-36270 $9.99 $9.99

1 Led Zeppelin III (200 Gram) A FEW LEFTMUSD-CLAS-7201 $49.99 $49.99

1 The Dark Side Of The Moon (30th Anniversary Edition Vinyl)CAP-82136 $26.99 $26.99

• 4 weeks later...

Hi friends,

I notice that a great deal of the music listened to and actively pursued in this forum is either jazz, rock or folk.

My own taste in music is exceptionally wide ranging and my music collection reflects this.

I would like to introduce you all to a particularly sublime disc that completely embodies the the catch phrase of this forum - Turn down the silence - knowing that for many of you listening to this disc will be a "first-time" experience. For many it will be a lasting impression. For some it will be almost religious. A few will hate it.

This supremely gentle music is a testament to the greatness of the composer, the performers, and the engineer. What at first listen appears to be such a simple "tune" has a depth beyond measure. Just listen (if you must dissect) to the way Vladimir Spivakov caresses the strings of his violin in extreme pianissimo!

The disc in question is "Alina".

The composer is Arvo Pärt

The link to the recording follows.

http://www.ecmrecords.com/Catalogue/New_Series/1500/1591.php?cat=&we_start=0&lvredir=712&we_search=%2Balina

Please do not attempt to listen to this with any distractions or ambient noise.

I believe that even staunch rockers will find the experience of this music uplifting to say the least.

Peace :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Artist: Rob Fetters

Title: Musician, Truth

Genre: Pop

Good Song to Sample: Heaven

Interesting Notes: The amplifier used on the recording was made by me.

Recording Quality: Master Tapes 24/88.2 killer!!

Comments: Rob and the Bears and the rest of the gang are fun to check out.

Thanks

Gordon

... HAVE to assume this will be interesting. I do not see this particular album available at their website. Also, the album that they do show doesn' appear to be available in anything higher resolution that 16/44.1 - Were you hinting by the "Master Tapes 24/88.2 killer!!" line that that resolution might be available? I believe that I would jump on it in a second. Where to go to get this?

markr

Since I loaded a bunch of disks onto the nas, I've played a couple I hadn't heard in a while and that I'm listening to again after some years.

1. Sade - Promise: her second album, from around '85, another platinum seller. Enjoying the bass and sax work, plus the cool, sultry vocals that are her signature.

2. Robbie Robertson - Storyville: his second solo album, from '91. I remember hearing it the first time and having it grow on me with subsequent playings. From RS - "Rolling Stone (10/31/91) - 4.5 Stars - Excellent Plus - "...a mature and masterful work that lends additional luster to the formidable legacy Robertson shaped with The Band...an imaginative and spiritual journey, with New Orleans as its inspiration...a transporting, sinuous groove..."

Uncut (p.119) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "[A]n intricate, unsung masterpiece, a sweeping homage to New Orleans, a musical conjuring of the spirits, with funky horns, smoky melodies, and Robertson's best singing ever."

I agree.