IGNORED

I'm Listening To ...

Chris' review of that great Coltrane album the other day got me to thinking about some of my favorite albums by horn players, and, now that the downloading to the library is going full tilt again, I had to stop and just listen to this one after it loaded. Surprisingly enough, it's Burrell and Jackson that make this one so exciting; Hawk is just great as usual.

Nice clear sound, but with that fifties hole in the middle stereo so common back then.

I sincerely apologize for the absurd prices for this on Amazon, but this is what to expect when you want to buy something world class after it goes OOP. :-(

I can't stop listening to this song. Needless to say I really love it.

"Rockin’ Away was written in the summer of 2006 for the 30th Anniversary of the release of the first “Boston” record. It was the last song that Brad and I wrote together. In it, Brad reflects on how he became involved in music, and thanks his many fans for their years of loyalty. It was my hope that the song might lead to a rekindling of my relationship with the band. Unfortunately it did not. Brad’s family and I felt that his many fans would appreciate hearing his spectacular voice one more time on a new song. I hope that you enjoy listening to it as much as we enjoyed making it." - Barry Goudreau

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The Amazing Bud Powell, Volume 1, Blue Note

I am very happy that Chris has found a few of my recommendations to his liking, so maybe this time I'll switch over to a jazz keyboard player who can really get that toe of his to tapping.

Of course, if the Creator gave us the saxophone so that everybody would enjoy jazz, then the piano had to come along too, just to entice those who wanted more into a whole different approach.

You don't hear much about Bud Powell in audiophile circles these days, probably because these mono recordings were made prior to wider bandwidth recrordings; but he is in that same pantheon with players like Bill Evans whose innovation and, for lack of a better word, soulful playing, distinguish him as a true artistic genius, and not just another skilled craftsman. No one can instill such persona into such rapid playing — not even Lennie Tristano who made one of the most important jazz recordings ever — and no other jazz pianist has been so blatantly imitated.

The entire Amazing series pairs Bud with many other jazz greats of his era, and despite his short life. Read the Amazon customer reviews to learn lots more than I'll ever know. Powell is a true jazz icon.

I listen to lots of things but have been doing a lot of jazz lately. There is a brand new one by Jimmy Bruno, who is this freak of nature on archtop jazz guitar. The new one, titled Maplewood Avenue is much quieter than some of his predecessors. My favorite is "Like That". Amazing chops, fairly traditional fare and the incomparable Joey DeFrancesco on B3.

My other recent discovery is Anthony Wilson. He plays in Diana Krall's band but he has more depth on his own - gotta pay the bills, I guess. Savivity and Power of Nine are two of his recent ones. He is a fine player but has his ego well in hand. More of an ensemble sort of thing. A friend of mine, Joe Harley from Audioquest Records produced all of Anthony's recordings, so I may be prejudiced but Joe is a superb producer and the sound is very natural. Stereophile wrote up a piece on the production of Power of Nine last year. Not the typical audiophile sonic extravaganza but very natural and the better your system the more music you hear.

rom

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

Hi innertuber

This is a great album and it reminds me of an interview I read with Alison a few years ago. She was asked what she listened to. She was kind of sheepish, and very cute, and answered that she was heavily into Metallica at the moment. Cracked me up.

rom

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

Ok, markr, I'm confused.

By the way I picked up the new Eagles tonight. Haven't had a chance to hear it yet. I know I have asked this before, but I steadfastly claim my right to be slow. If I am using iTunes to play everything, which I am to keep things simple for me at this stage, can I download the high rez stuff?

Thanks

Rick

Your comment struck a nerve - I just finished ripping a Patty Smith CD to the server. She was married to..... hell, I forget his name now, from MC5. I'm getting too old. he died a few years ago. Fred "Sonic" Smith, that's it. Thanks, Wikipedia.

Well, I didn’t have good luck with SoundStage Direct. Placed order for some goodies including Spirit and MC5 lps on 1/21. Early Feb, I inquired and they said backordered, but would ship in 2 groups with most going out immediately (this was after days of calling a phone that never was answered). When I finally got thru the fellow acted surprised. Today, 2/26 I called to inquire since nothing has arrived and I see my shipment is still pending, no phone answer again, this time the voice mailbox is full and not accepting messages.

I contacted AMEX to cancel. I’d be careful with this place – something smells fishy. Too bad, great prices and selections.

Sorry for the bad 'pointer'. They did me right three times in a row, so I don't know what is going on over there. I hope the economy didn't kill them.... I need to call my buddy in San Antonio that turned me on to SoundStage - he told me just this last weekend that he was getting ready to order some new vinyl replacements. He is the type of person who would send a money order too.... Jeez.

Thanks for the 'heads up'!

markr

Sorry that I missed this at the time you sent it Rick. - I haven't fully trained myself to use the "TRACK" function under "MY ACCOUNT" on this website yet..... So what do you think of the Long Road Out of Eden so far?...

I haven't yet had a problem playing back audio resolutions up to 24/96 with iTunes. I haven't tried anything of a higher resolution yet either. I don't have any material above 24/96 TO try at this point, but I could generate some when I get some time if you are interested..... When you have the download, most are FLAC at this point, you can then convert that lossless file to whatever resolution that your conversion program can accomplish. I like 'Max' for the Mac. Just looking at it right now, it will convert to AIF at up to 32bit. Max doesn't have a switch to set the sampling 'rate', so I assume that that is dependent on the original file to be converted.

You probably know this by now (Chris is QUICK), but -

The key here is to set "Audio MIDI Setup" in the Utilities folder to the resolution that you want to play back BEFORE opening iTunes. You can also successfully 'upsample' your lower resolution stuff to say... 24/96. That is, just leave it set to 24/96 all the time. Chris LOVES that (..ahem)! I find it 'interesting' so far, though I don't do it all the time by any means.

- on my computer the audio setup proceedure is somewhat more complicated, because the RME A/D/A has a separate audio setup utility that can be set differently than Audio MIDI is. This RME application - or the presence of the RME box - also effects the Audio MIDI menu too.... add in 96 MIDI channels too and it can get confusing quickly. For now, i'll spare you the story about how I found out about the audio settings 'feature' while I was writing a piece of music the other day.....

click to enlarge

markr

Artist: Tangerine Dream?

Title: Underwater Sunlight?

Genre: Electronica / Atmospheric

Good song to sample: Underwater Twilight - but this is another that is all good?

Similar artists: I dunno: Kraftwerk or Pink Floyd?

Interesting notes: These guys and their ideas for the future of quality sound were a very important 'testing ground' for helping software coders to develop many of the computer software tools that are used to produce music today. And they could really "bring it" in a live situation too.?

Comments: Huge library of work dating back to the 1960s. Edgar Frose' is a classically trained pianist

I think it is actually BETTER than what Steven says. It IS an amazingly broad expression of music both as a performance and a recording. While the version that I managed to acquire is a remaster that was released on the W. German label "Kuckuck" rather than original Japanese one that Steven has, I find this one more than satisfying.

Stomu at his best

It wouldn't surprise me if the original Japanese release doesn't just knock this one for a loop. The Germans have a strange way of adding some sort of electrical signature to the highest frequencies that isn't quite detectable until you hear something done elsewhere. I'll have to confess that back in the vinyl days, I often questioned the ability of the Japanese to press a musical sounding record, although there's no doubt that they usually had quiet surfaces.

As far as digital is concerned, there is no question that Japanese imports generally are more revealing, with quite a bit more in the micro-dynamics arena. I once insisted to a friend that you needed a full-range speaker in order to hear the full dynamics of a clarinet, and I'll add that these micro-dynamics on the best of the Japanese disks require very wide bandwidth to appreciate to the fullest. Lots of amp power too. If you have this kind of setup Sea And Sky can absolutely floor you. There is much more going on here than most listeners could ever imagine. Yes indeed, Stomu at his best, and not just as a musician.

I should quickly add here that it 'sounds' pointless to me to convert a lossless source file to any .aif / .wav resolution higher than the one that the lossless file was originally encoded in. That is, there is no discernible improvement in sound when converting to a higher resolution as far as I can tell. You just get a bigger .aif file with no actual audio information in the extra space that is taken up.

markr

Lust Lust Lust by Raveonettes

Artist: The Raveonettes

Title: Lust Lust Lust

Genre: Rock

Good song to sample: Dead Sound

Recording quality: probably 6 out of 10 but hey its rock 'n roll!

Comments: This is grunge, power, punk and rock all rolled into one. Sune Rose Wagner and Sharin Foo absolutely rock with influences of Velvet Underground, punk, '50s girl bands and rave. Check it out.

hifisoup[br]Mac Mini 10.5.7; Samsung P2370 display; iMac G5 Tiger 10.4.11 (2) ?TV; iTunes; ipod Touch w/remote app;[br]Lacie 250GB HD & Western Digital 1TB HD;[br]Naim Nait; Linn LP12/Basik/Grado; Paradigm Atoms v.6;[br]Meg\'s Daily Grind Coffee www.megs-daily-grind.com