IGNORED

I am looking for a good asynchronous USB DAC for max $1500

I had a break in a few weeks ago and my audio gear was all stolen (along with a lot of other stuff). Anyway, I had a CD player based music system, but have decided to go high tech with a dedicated music server and USB DAC as a music source.

I will be using the DAC with a Windows 7 32 bit desktop PC with J.River Media Center. It will feed its signal to a used Unison Research Unico integrated amplifier with Level II Parts Connexion modification package, and then to a new set of Magnepan MG 1.7 speakers. The amplifier does not have balanced inputs.

I am currently considering the following DACs:

Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 $1499

DIY HiFi Cleo Max $1075

I like what the reviews have to say about the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2, and its ESS Sabre DA chips performance, but don't see the need for the digital preamplifier section.

The Cleo Max has a tube output stage, has a clock upgrade, and uses a Burr-Brown DA chip, but the manufacturer won't say which one.

What I used to have as a digital source was a Jolida JD100A CD Player with a Level 1 Parts Connexion upgrade package plus clock upgrade and cryogenic treated Siemens 5751 tube output section, and I want to make sure I get a sound improvement over that (and in modified form it had the best sound I heard in an under $3000 CD player).

If there are any other DACs that have asynchronous USB inputs worth adding to the list that are no more than $1500, I would love to heard about them. I had thought about trying to find a used Ayre QB-9, but even in used condition they are outside of my budget.

Custom Atom based music server running Windows 7 Professional OS>J.River Media Center 16>WASAPI Event Style>Mdht Labs Havana DAC>Wireworld Platinum Starlight .5 meter USB Cable>Atlas Navigator All-Cu Interconnects>Unison Research Unico Integrated Amp>Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables (two sets for bi-wiring)>Paradigm Studio Reference 20 v4 Speakers>Custom Oyaide Power Cables [br]

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Grace-Design-m903-Async-USB-192k

Heard good things about it and am waiting for mine to arrive. Has a preamp section which you didn't see the need for though. But versatility gives equipment a longer lifespan (not till they breathe their last, but till we "need" to get new gear).

Hope this helps.

Source: Foobar2000, NAD C565BEE, OPPO 83; DAC/Amp: Grace Design m903, NAD C375BEE; IEM: Westone 4; Headphone: markl Mod MD5000; Speakers: Dynaudio Acoustics BM5A MKII, PSB Imagine T

...but not that much.

The Wavelength Brick V3 is asynchronous, usb, tube-driven and delivers 24/96. Even received a Stereophile Class A rating a couple years ago.

$1750, but I've seen them occasionally on Agon for much less than $1500.

my two cents

Cheers,

Bill

Mac Mini 2011, 60 gb SSD, 8gb ram; PureMusic & BitPerfect; Wavelength Audio Cosecant V3 DAC; Wireworld Silver Starlight usb interconnect; McIntosh C2200 preamp; pair of McIntosh MC252 SS amps run as monoblocks; vintage MC240 Tube amp and 50th Anniversary MC275 tube amps; Krell LAT-2\'s on Sound Anchors; JL Audio F112 subwoofer; Nirvana SX ltd interconnects and speaker cables and power cords; PS Audio P5

I have heard the W4S Dac and was very unimpressed given the hype but I have an Audio Dac as a reference so to be fair it was not going to be my cup of tea, so to speak.

Given where you are coming from Cleo Max looks interesting but won't work with a Mac because of the drivers, as does the wallet busting Wavelength Brick.

You should probably also have on your list the M2Tech Young Dac and the new Lindemann.

Personally I would go with an Audio Note Kits Dac2.1 and a M2Tech Hiface..it is nearly $1500 and a whole of fun and highly upgradeable.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

Hello,

I was also considering the W4S DAC2, but all of the mixed reviews lately have moved it to the "high risk" category for me. Apparently it sounds best with an active preamp, which kind-of defeats the purpose of the nifty HT integration that I was hoping to use.

I now have my eye on the Mytek Digital Stereo192-DSD DAC. It's not even out yet, so no one knows what it sounds like, but the 8x192ADDA seems to get good reviews in pro-audio circles.

stereo192-dsd-dac-front-back.jpg

I called Mytek yesterday to ask for a PDF copy of the user's manual, but they told me that it's not ready yet. Also, a native DSD playback plugin is still being developed for foobar2000 and iTunes. No commitment on release date for these.

There are no signs of DSD files taking over the high rez digital download marketplace at this point, but if I'm buying a new DAC, it would be nice to have one with native hardware DSD playback capability from a connected PC. It feels more "future proof".

-- David

Hello,

I need to ring the Mytek guys back to find out if their USB implementation is asychronous, but with provided drivers it will support both high-rez PCM (24-bit, 176.4/196kHz) and the various DSD formats, so async seems likely. In any case, the assumption is that you will use their "SuperLock" mode to deal with jitter on the inputs.

Here are some links to notes on CA about the W4S DAC2 that I found to be concerning given my plans to connect it directly to my amp (and eventually drive monoblocks):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Resurrecting-Preamp#comment-74252

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Wyred-4-Sound-Dac-2any-experience#comment-55651

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Wyred4Sound-DACs-now-available-pre-order#comment-45043

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Wyred-4-Sound-Dac-2any-experience#comment-68598

There are lots more on CA and head-fi.org about the 'cold' sound of the DAC2. Since there's no practical way that I'm aware of to give this thing a spin before committing, I'll keep searching. Note that retailers of the Mytek are not much more helpful as far as in-home evaluations go. One allows 14 days but requires 5% restocking fee and buyer must pay round-trip shipping (shipping is free, but only if buyer keeps the item). That probably works out to about $125 for an in-home audition if I decide not to keep it. Better than Wired 4 Sound, but still..ouch!

Still not decided...

-- David

14 days, 5% plus shipping seems very reasonable considering the margins on that device. Sure it is not free, but then the costs would have been added to the MSRP. Vintage King is selling it for $1435- they might do demos as I see that they have open box/returned items.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Hello,

Thanks for the Vintage King tip. Looks like they double the manufacturer's warranty and have a somewhat more generous return policy (assuming full compliance with their "no hassle return policy" fine-print):

http://www.vintageking.com/Terms-and-Conditions#returns

I did call Mytek back, but the person that I talked to really didn't know much more about the DSD DAC. He said that a lot more information will be available after the Frankfurt show (runs from tomorrow through the end of the week). I'll give them a ring next week to see if more details have been released about the USB operating mode, availability of ASIO drivers (for managing wordsize, sampling rate, and DSD modes, etc.) or similar and plugins for popular playback software.

-- David

There's a recent "shoot-out" in the UK which includes the W4S, M2Tech Young, and Calyx DAC.

My take is that they are all very good and it depends on your preference on features and sonic signature. To get significantly better performance, you probably need to spend over $5,000.

Mac Mini ? Weiss DAC202 ? ML 326s ? ML 532h ? Wilson Sophia3

David, will the DSD DAC play SACDs? If not, what DSD files are available to an audiophile to play? I can see that the DSD playback feature could be useful to a recording studio that records DSD files, but I'm not aware of commercially available DSD files an audiophile might acquire.

Vade Forrester

_________________[br]Vade Forrester

David, will the DSD DAC play SACDs? If not, what DSD files are available to an audiophile to play? I can see that the DSD playback feature could be useful to a recording studio that records DSD files, but I'm not aware of commercially available DSD files an audiophile might acquire.

Vade Forrester

_________________[br]Vade Forrester

Hello,

Thanks so much for the Pink Fish Media shootout link. I didn't read the entire thread, but I did read the page that you sent.

I didn't realize that the M2Tech Young was going for only $1.8k here in the US. Interesting...no DSD playback, but 32-bit, 384kHz PCM is just as novel. :)

-- David

Pages with second and third opinion from the people who attended the shoot out.

I have both the Calyx and the Young DAC on hand at the moment. Have not done comparing them yet, so will reserve comments for now. Been waiting forever for the Mytek since it's soft announcement. The new Nuforce DAC-9 also very interesting. Launch date is by the end of this month (April 2011).

Mac Mini ? Weiss DAC202 ? ML 326s ? ML 532h ? Wilson Sophia3

Hello,

Hahaha. I suppose it is. I wonder if the front bezel will actually be that bright...

Equipment appearance has never been a high priority for me, especially since the gear lives in a closet that's normally closed. For years, my source was a TEAC VRDS-10 CD player. You wanna talk ugly? Yikes!

Cheers and good luck with the Calyx. For someone with a Mac, it's a looker.

-- David