IGNORED

Chesky abandoned Binaural + ?

@Archimago wrote in his blog about David Chesky new label company called The Audiophile Society. Is DC finally admitting that you cannot have one format that can be equally best for both?

https://positive-feedback.com/interviews/interview-with-david-chesky-on-music-and-his-new-venture-the-audiophile-society/

This is an old news but I can’t find it being mentioned here. Please delete or merge if this a duplication.

Chesky’s The blackest Crow released in 2019 wasn’t a binaural. While binaural is capable of capturing the scene exactly like how you heard them in situ, it will not be the same for different users. If you are the lucky ones without  too sensitive direction finding ears of individuals then you get the realistic 3 dimensional sound and that too when used headphones. Choeueri says only 30% of people can perceive 3D with binaural.

Chesky was convinced by Choueiri to do the binaural recordings with the offer of the correction filter for the B&K mics and dummy head. This was perhaps the early stages of BACCH 3D to be developed which supposed to be sold by Chesky. In a way, it was a great strategy by Choueri because you now have a recordings that’s made exactly how the playback system would interprete them as all the cues already known when designing of the correction filter where that information can be incorporated for the crosstalk cancellation of loudspeaker playback.

But along the way, Chesky started using Neumann K100 dummy head which came with its own correction filter which was meant for loudspeakers playback also. I think that too was dropped as now reference to binaural + in the Chesky record labels no longer lists them.

I understand the technical reasons why binaural + was dropped but just curious of the move to a new label by Chesky himself instead of releasing the new records under the well known and loved Audiophile label, i.e., Chesky Records?