IGNORED

Article: SMc Audio GT24 TLC-2 Pre Amp Review

Thanks for the review @JoeWhip!

You're speaking my language with talk of Spectral Audio and the "sense of speed, the jump one hears from a great jazz guitarist live or the impact of the lower registers on a piano played by a master." Replacing Spectral gear doesn't happen without a lot of forethought. I know @Jud was in a somewhat similar situation, using Spectral gear for decades before replacing it.

I had the Spectral preamp and amp, and often wish I still could give it a listen. 

It's really nice to read that the SMc preamp is performing at a level that enables you to happily retire the Spectral preamp. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Steve is a great guy.  I  owned several of his pieces, and still have, boxed up somewhere, one of his modded McCormack DNA-250 stereo amps.  Haven't heard from these guys in years.  Glad to hear they are still pushing the envelope. 

Though I've never owned a McCormack piece, I've heard them elsewhere, and like Ted, was very happy to learn he's still in business.

I have a feeling my Vandersteens came from the same place yours did. 🙂

As Chris mentioned, I owned and loved Spectral just as you did.  In my case it was the amp I replaced, and my experience was similar to yours. For their day the old Spectrals were as low noise as you could get, but I suppose technology has moved on. The numbers on the new amp were better, though the Spectral's were good enough that I wondered whether I'd hear a difference. In the end I did exactly the same listening test you did, ear within a foot of the speakers listening for hiss. With the Spectral it was slight but there; with the new amp, complete silence.

I still have the Spectral preamp, but it's only in service for LPs and FM tuner. For computer audio I run direct from the DAC (which has an analog volume control) to the new amp. Perhaps the fact that I can run balanced interconnects between DAC and amp helps reduce noise; I don't know for sure.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I live close to Vista, CA. Looks like really nice equipment that I can only dream about. Does anyone know what the silver pad strips are that are adhered to the bottom of the enclosure, some kind of soundwave absorption product? They caught my eye and piqued my interest.