IGNORED

Article: Mid-Three Figure IEM Review

This is a very interesting "sweet spot" range of IEMs. I wonder how fast the diminishing returns will kick in as you move up.  I have moved down in price to my Meze 109Pro headphones for a sweet spot in headphones and my listening.

I am glad you dove down into the accessories, cables, etc. 

I would be interested in a paragraph comparing the DTE500 to the Kiwi Cadenza.  

RJF

3 hours ago, bobfa said:

This is a very interesting "sweet spot" range of IEMs. I wonder how fast the diminishing returns will kick in as you move up.  I have moved down in price to my Meze 109Pro headphones for a sweet spot in headphones and my listening.

I am glad you dove down into the accessories, cables, etc. 

I would be interested in a paragraph comparing the DTE500 to the Kiwi Cadenza.  

RJF

1 hour ago, jcbenten said:

Thanks for the reviews.  I think a reference to a well-known brand would be helpful...something like Shure, Westone, or Etymotic.  I have Shure's closing in on 10 yrs old that I use occasionally (2xx & 3xx).  Etymotic 4's I used to have were pretty good...until they disintegrated similar to my Weston 4R's that I really liked. I even paid to repair them one time. 

I do like the Kiwi Cadenza that I purchased after your last review.

I think there are a few IEMs below this review’s  range that I’d rank above the Cadenza, including the FiiO JD7 and Kiwi Quartet. The best of the bunch is the Moondrop Kato. 

So, using the Kato as a benchmark, I’d rank the S8 and DTE500 from this review clearly above the Kato. The 530 and the Moonlight each have traits I prefer to the Kato’s, but I can’t say I’d take them over the Kato as a whole. And I’d take the Kato over the others, especially when considering price.

As far as the other brands mentioned, I’d like to review some Shure IEMs. But I haven’t found many measurements of Shure IEMs, so I haven’t felt confident in buying any particular model. If the company sent some to me, I’d definitely measure and review them, though. 

Speaking of that, I’m going to write a short update to this review. Long story short: I got the coupler, it works great, and I’m setting up a Squiglink site.

Just to note that I also purchased the Quartets after your review...I like the Quartets enough that I am stopping at this point.  So many iems have come apart I am loathe to spend more.  I will stick the lower end and TWS units (airpods pro 2, Sennheiser TWS3, Jabra 85t, Nura's that are now Denon Perls).

Oh...and I had the Sennheisers replaced ...  I must have caustic ears...

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

8 hours ago, jcbenten said:

Just to note that I also purchased the Quartets after your review...I like the Quartets enough that I am stopping at this point.  So many iems have come apart I am loathe to spend more.  I will stick the lower end and TWS units (airpods pro 2, Sennheiser TWS3, Jabra 85t, Nura's that are now Denon Perls).

Oh...and I had the Sennheisers replaced ...  I must have caustic ears...

Which piece(s) of the IEMs are coming apart? 

they tend to come apart where the iem is bonded to itself.  Both etymotics failed where the matte black elbow meets the barrel: image.png.8f1adbc892f80ab5f17e19740f9e891f.png.

The Westones (4R and 3 Pro) just fell apart...cable and device itself.  the Sennheisers had a battery fail.  B&W had one fall apart similar to the etymotics and I washed the others in the machine.  Ooops.  I used to travel quite a bit so would wear them everywhere...now I wear cycling indoors and riding the mower...in Texas heat.  I sweat a lot so the Caustic comment was literal.

I use the Kiwis/Cadenzas at the PC and wireless devices on the bike/mower/iPad-iPhone.

chris

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Josh Mound - I just wanted to send a big thank you your way. I've been loving the Kiwi Ears Cadenzas (using spinfit W1 tips and an aftermarket LetShuoer Chimera cable via Mojo 2). I actually like the Cadenza more than the Thie Audio Oracle - the latter out resolves the former only by a little, while the former sounds far more coherent, impactful, and timbrely (if that's a word) accurate to me. 

Suffice it to say, my interest in the DTE500 is piqued!

• 2 months later...