IGNORED

Article: Embracing Immersive Audio

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm happy to be next to the stage where the musicians are performing; actually going onto the stage, being in the middle of them, would be interesting - but I don't see it as being life changing.

This person has obviously not been lucky enough to sit on a stage 10 feet from a Van Cliburn winner, twice. Maybe not life changing, but "interesting" doesn't cover it at all.

Edit: Note the quote function makes it seem like Chris said this, but in fact he was quoting someone else.

IMG_0671.jpeg

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

8 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

I thought Dave Was had me on speed dial or at least his Rolodex. 😎

Dave may, but I think it's Don you're looking for. 😉

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Dude, stop. 

The ignore list is very effective for me, though I can understand as the site owner you'd want to be aware of what folks are saying. Sorry about that.

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

When the old guard started talking about computer audio and music servers, they used the same playbook.

Interesting and ironic that the guy who got me into computer digital audio and therefore this website was Mr. Analog himself, Michael Fremer. (He wrote a piece on how to use an Airport Express and Airplay to play music. I ran the output from an upstairs office computer through the Airport Express in the downstairs listening room to my ancient Theta Pro Basic DAC and was soon hooked.)

In fairness to @ARQuint, it should be said that while a good deal of the old guard's resistance to computer audio came from living through the "perfect sound forever" CD era and a resulting resistance to claims about digital technology, it seems as if Andrew's caveats come not from a resistance to immersive technology but a desire to have the media companies offer a higher quality immersive product. That (having a higher quality immersive product) is a goal I think we can all support, even while many enjoy this early stage of the journey.

2 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

what was there to be gained in the old Beatles albums

being reissued in Atmos from old mono or 2 channel tapes of which no stems ever existed

Comparing Now and Then from an old Lennon cassette vs. Real Love from an old Lennon cassette, I'd say the main thing to be gained from the old Beatles stuff is that the AI denoising process lets me hear the boys better. (I'm using the Lennon cassettes for comparison because I haven't had a chance to listen to the Red Album much, and because a cassette is about as low fidelity an analog source as I can think of.) I'm grateful for that. If they want to do immersive with the results also, I've got no problem with it, as long as the same degree of care is taken.

23 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

But AI or no AI, I don't believe you can take a mono or simplistic ancient 2ch recording and turn it into something that realistically can be called a genuine immersive recording. 

It's kind of ironic that George Martin was an early and repeated advocate of the position that it was silly to expect a recording to be a faithful document of what happened in the studio. (He'd done a lot of pre-Beatles work on comedy records with sound effects, which of course depended on the listener believing in the reality of an artificial soundscape.) And of course the Beatles were allies in pushing the envelope of using studio effects to create artificial sound environments. So allowing listeners to immerse themselves in a synthetic soundscape might be just what the boys would have wanted. At least that's what the survivors and the representatives of George and John signed off on when they gave the go-ahead for the immersive versions to be done.

I personally will be listening with a 2 channel rig, because that's what I own.  But I look forward to hearing the immersive versions, because hey, it's the Beatles, and I'm going to enjoy them every way I can.