IGNORED

RoPieee is driving me insane

I have a USBridge Sig and recently switched to RoPieee thanks to advice on this forum after MoOde and Volumio updated to a newer kernel that doesn't fully support the USBridge. But RoPieee has a specific build just for the USBridge! Sounds perfect, right?

If only.

• After finishing one album and starting another with BubbleUPnP, it will play the first track of the second album followed by the second track of the first album. I have to manually remind it to play the second track of the second album. This never happened with MoOde or Volumio.
  • It will randomly skip to the next song in the middle of a song. This never happened with MoOde or Volumio.
  • It will randomly disconnect after the end of a song. This never happened with MoOde or Volumio.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm only using it as a UPnP endpoint with the music stored on a local server. The setup was simple enough and the options are limited. What is happening??

HQPlayer PC: Ubuntu Server 23.04, Intel i5-10600KF, Nvidia GTX1660 Ti, 2.5 TB NVMe + 6 TB HDD

Speakers: USBridge Signature (NAA) > Schiit Bifrost 2/64 > Schiit Saga OG > Schiit Aegir > Tekton Lore

Headphones: Pi2AES (NAA) > Gustard R26 > Schiit Jotunheim 2 > ZMF Atticus LTD Cocobolo

I use BubbleUPnP and Jellyfin as the media server. Never had problems with either on MoOde or Volumio.

HQPlayer PC: Ubuntu Server 23.04, Intel i5-10600KF, Nvidia GTX1660 Ti, 2.5 TB NVMe + 6 TB HDD

Speakers: USBridge Signature (NAA) > Schiit Bifrost 2/64 > Schiit Saga OG > Schiit Aegir > Tekton Lore

Headphones: Pi2AES (NAA) > Gustard R26 > Schiit Jotunheim 2 > ZMF Atticus LTD Cocobolo

3 hours ago, ohshitgorillas said:

Jellyfin as the media server.

You could look into trying the free version of MinimServer. MinimServer is very reliable, works very well.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I have a question about your experience upgrading Volumio on the USBridge: Did you update the driver from Allo's site after installing the newest Volumio version (3.569)? The asix driver file "Allocom/USBridgeSig/install.sh" is still available, and I have successfully installed this after previous updates. Thanks for any info.

On 11/14/2023 at 2:26 PM, Axiom05 said:

You could look into trying the free version of MinimServer. MinimServer is very reliable, works very well.

On 11/14/2023 at 11:37 AM, stefano_mbp said:

Never heard about it … is it upnp/DLNA compliant? … I wasn’t able to find specs …

I have the same problems with Plex, meaning it's not the DLNA server.

On 11/17/2023 at 10:01 AM, skrzyp said:

I have a question about your experience upgrading Volumio on the USBridge: Did you update the driver from Allo's site after installing the newest Volumio version (3.569)? The asix driver file "Allocom/USBridgeSig/install.sh" is still available, and I have successfully installed this after previous updates. Thanks for any info.

I used the official Raspberry Pi Imager as suggested by MoOde for their newest version, but I'll check out the images on Allo's website.

I wanted to like RoPieee due to its simplicity but something is very wrong with this image.

8 minutes ago, ohshitgorillas said:

I wanted to like RoPieee due to its simplicity but something is very wrong with this image.

… or with you specific setup … my RoPieee setup work flawlessly and for many friends of mine is the same

Plex is not the optimal media server, you should try Minimserver and you should be sure that Bubbleupnp is well configured, try with MConnect Player that is very easy to setup, when sure that the whole system is working well go back to Bubbleupnp and configure it in the right way.

Stefano

My audio system

I never had any of these problems before RoPieee. Nothing about my specific setup has changed except the image on the USBridge.

I'll check my BubbleUPnP settings again and try minimserver but I can pretty much guarantee that if I switch back to MoOde or Volumio, these problems will go away (but then I'll start getting popping and digital distortions because of the kernel issue with the USBridge).

@ohshitgorillas I don't have USBridge, but I've seen comments about it on the "official" RoPieee subforum in the Roon Community Forum (https://community.roonlabs.com/c/audio-gear-talk/ropieee/56). The user spockfish there is Harry ten Berge, author of RoPieee. He posts information about releases and looks at reported issues.

The topic came up when RoPieee's Linux kernel was updated to a newer version, and there is an incompatibility specific to USBridge. The proper fix is that Allo needs to update USBridge firmware, but meanwhile you should be able to use a legacy version of RoPieee. See the note about USBridge on the RoPieee software page: https://ropieee.org/software/

If you still have issues, the best place to ask about it is on the Roon Community Forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you guys help me?

I have an issue with my USBridge after Volumio last v.3.569  update.

I re-flashed my eMMC (32Gb) card with Volumio v.3.569 and stated it on my USBridge. 

All started fine and I succeeded to use Wired internet cable to access player via "My IP address"/playback” and PuTTY (SSH enabled) via "My IP address"/DEV” .

Now, I can’t install ASIX AX88179 Gigabit Ethernet Driver and I can't check its existence either. 

Not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Here is what I tried:

sudo uname –a
sudo cd /usr/src/

sudo wget http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/asix2v0/install.sh

(or sudo wget http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/USBridgeSig/install.sh)

sh install.sh

Getting a massage that nothing is found.

Then reboot:

sudo reboot

Then, to check:

sudo su

sudo modinfo ax88179_178a | grep version

Please let me know.

Error during LAN install.txt

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to compile Allo's modified ASIX driver from source on the latest version of Volumio (kernel 6.1.58-v7+). This involved modifying one line of the C code, getting the kernel sources for Volumio, and compiling on the machine running Volumio. The procedure is a bit tedious, but should be reproducible for future updates (I hope). I'll try to make a copy available with install instructions after I've tested some more.

The resulting module "ax88179_178a.ko.xz" can be installed following the steps in Allo's install.sh script. It seems to work fine on my USBridge which is now running the latest and playing up to 96 khz/24 bit audio without apparent glitches. Note that I can't guarantee that this will work for anyone else, but there's not much risk involved if you start with a fresh SD card and the latest Volumio install.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think we can expect anything from Allo at this point, which is why I spent the time finding a workaround. It will likely be necessary to repeat the process everytime Volumio gets updated. For now I am happy to get it working on the current version.

I shared my fix with another user but I haven't heard back if it worked for them. Send me a private message and I can give you more details.