IGNORED

DAC Shootout

Even if there was it would be that reviewers opinion with "their" system. Those are all good options and it will depend as much on what the rest of your system is like as to how one will sound in someone elses system.

The analog output of all of those products is as critical to the "sound" of them as the digital side in my experience and matching is probably more critical at this price point than the higher priced alternatives simply because there is more coloration in lower priced components than the higher priced dacs.

To be honest if your system is priced in this range then I would imagine that each one will have it's plus and minus's.

Try one, see if it fits.

David

I should add that I want to use the DAC to not only stream music from my computer, but also to connect to my CD transport.

My rig consists of cirac 1993 Meridian series 6 mono blocks, pre amp and CD transport. My current DAC is in the preamp... Meridian was doing this way back in 1993.

Hence my interest in upgrading my DAC, and also using it to listen to HD tracks via my computer....

Not aware of any comparison of those DAC's. They are not the DAC's I would line up for a shootout. But my bet like the previous poster is the Rega fed from something like a John Kenny Modified Hiface would win. I can also think of quite a few DAC's that would IMHO probably best the DAC's you mention, but I will not name them since I don't really want to get into a debate about it.

For some interesting DAC comparisons, and reviews of DAC's, some of which I think may best the DAC's you mention, check out:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews

Thanks

Bill

With all that high class amplification and transport from Meridian I'm not sure why you are looking for a dac in the price class you are. Why not look at trading in your Meridian for one of their latest models. They make superb sounding dacs as you already have experienced.

David

Meridian don't currently make any stand alone DACs. They do multi-channel processors, CD players (the high end 808 has digital inputs) and speakers with digital inputs. But no stand alone DAC.

Eloise

PS. Have you tried your Meridian 601 fed by a MF V-Link or HiFace, etc?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I'm not looking to replace my gear. It's worth more to me than on the open market, and I'm not sold on current Meridian stuff anyway. I have a fantastic transport, and a DAC from 1993. I'm quite sure that any $1000 DAC I buy today will be an improvement. Yes?

I hate to say it, but the Carey is a very pricey unit ($1499) compared to the rest...is this a fair comparison. The PS Audio is under $800 almost everywhere fight now...

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

I'd also add the Wyred4Sound DACs to this list, and the Eastern Electric Minimax. Be sure to keep track of which DACs do hi-rez through USB and which would require an adaptor like the HiFace. I believe that the Rega DAC is limited to 16/44 over USB. As are most if not all of the DACs on your list, IIRC.

I just bought an Anedio dac. ( www.anedio.com ) Very nice sound, newer ESS chip, reasonable price and a 30 day trial. USB limited to 16/44,48 but they are working on an adaptor and say they will offer it to owners at a reduced price. I've had it for about a month and it won't be going back.

• 1 month later...

For all the insight. I have to admit I am still a little baffled on what to buy. I think I just have to start auditioning things. But the whole USB / Coax / Toslink question (jitter! asynch! etc.) is a bit confusing and off putting for someone who is used to either cueing up a needle or pushing "play"... maybe I'll start a new thread on this confusion.

I just spent the past week listening to the following DACs:

Peachtree iDac

Music Fidelity M1 DAC

Rega DAC

I ended up purchasing the Rega DAC for various, but for me, clear reasons.

I found the Peach Tree DAC sounded thin and edgy - kind of akin to MP3 edgy, but nowhere near as scratchy. I also was not to impressed with the quality of the product's construction.

I found the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC had an excellent sound stage, even better than the Rega DAC, but it seemed to do this at the sacrifice overall tonal tightness. It felt like the oversampling, it's apparently designed to continually maintain, was pushing its limits to the sacrifice of sound quality. I would say this, though, if I had not had a change to directly A/B it with the Rega DAC, I would have bought it instead of the Rega DAC. It has a very good sound stage and gives excellent instrumental clarity.

The Rega DAC for me was the clear winner. It displayed a tonal sweetness, tight musical integration, and excellent instrumental clarity. The build is excellent, being hand made in their own factory in England.

I realize these DACs vary widely in price. This comparison was written without price consideration - just overall sound quality impressions.

Nice review, thanks. I'm starting to think that it's the analog output stage that makes a difference on these devices. I'm a little concerned about the USB input being so low res on the Rega. What inputs did you use in your tests? Would I need a Hi-Face or such to listen to hi res files from my computer?

Thanks for your comments. I used a Toslink connection with each of the DACs. The USB input requires a 3rd party adaptor to obtain HiRes results. I'm not sure why people use USB, but in A/Bing between the two types of connections, I preferred Toslink over USB.

Hope this helps.