IGNORED

Squeezebox sever compatible DAC

I am wondering whether there is any DAC which has an Ethernet socket and can talk to squeezebox server. Connecting this way should provide better jitter performance than USB. And squeezebox server also has a very nice interface.

I know one can connect a DAC to Touch or Transporter through SPDIF. However, both only support 96k.

It is a terrific interface. Seeing as Logitech is in the hardware business I'm guessing that their propriatary software is just that, propriatary and will only work with their products. If you are looking at high performance options using ethernet then you should have a look at Naim Audio. They stream up to 24/96 through Upnp and the results are superb as you have suspected by using ethernet and thus eliminating the digital connection. They are not inexpensive but the sound is superb from everything that they make.

They have iTouch controls which are not quite as nice as something like the SqueezePad app for the iPad but still quiet usable to look through your library and they are working feverishly on new apps for both iTouch and iPad that look very very nice. I can not recommend this company highly enough for the direction that it appears you want to go.

PS. Their new piece that does what you are hoping for (ehternet streaming of high resolution music) is called the NDX and it also has digital inputs (24/192) in addition to internet radio handling.

David

RealHiFi, I'm unsure but are you a dealer?

I so I think you're on thin ice here as you've repeatedly commented on threads about Naim products when they are only slightly related to the original topic. Chris doesn't have many "rules" for posting but commercial entities slipping subliminal advertising into their posts is against the spirit of this forum.

If you're not a dealer than I appologise.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I am not very familiar with Naim interface or their music library management. Linn is also using Ethernet for their stream music players. However, I love Squeezebox server library management. I do hope some DAC manufactures can license from Logitech.

It is actually possible o use Squeezebox Server with Linn DS (sort of). Check out Skweezy DS. This software may also work with other UPnP products such as the Naim.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Yes I am a dealer for Naim products. But I certainly didn't think commenting about them was in any way a conflict. You are of course probably right and I should now keep all comments regarding ALL products (whether I carry them or not just in case I might some day) out of my posts.

My apologies.

David

Realhifi - No need to overreact and "threaten" to tell other dealers to not come to the site. For the most part dealers come here looking for information, not to provide information. That said there are a few dealers who have "managed" to abide by the "rules" and make CA a very productive site for themselves and readers specifically seeking information from them.

If CA isn't for you, no worries.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, My comments were not meant in any way as a threat as I can't imagine you need dealers or manufacturers commenting on this site anyway. It was simpy made because it is all too easy for someone to make a recommendation to someone based on experience that is misconstrued to be self advertisement.

It is my own neglect in not seeking out the set of rules that I was supposed ot be abiding by. Quite frankly, I didn't see them.

I am not used to having my hand slapped as I am constantly aware of and am cautious to a fault in the area of impropriety

in our business. If it sounded like I overreacted my apologies.

David

"RealHiFi, I'm unsure but are you a dealer?

I so I think you're on thin ice here as you've repeatedly commented on threads about Naim products when they are only slightly related to the original topic. Chris doesn't have many "rules" for posting but commercial entities slipping subliminal advertising into their posts is against the spirit of this forum.

If you're not a dealer than I appologise.

Eloise"

Does this mean that this site id off limits to Apple employees also? I'm sure there are a few (I happen to know a number of them) that could certainly steer people towards good solutions but should they stay away because of their obvious connection with Apple? Just trying to get the gound rules straight.

David

@realhifi ... May I follow up my previous post by pointing out a couple of things...

First off, you state about the Logitech / Squeezebox "Seeing as Logitech is in the hardware business I'm guessing that their propriatary software is just that, proprietary". This is arguably incorrect. Logitech / Squeezebox run open source software so anyone could take the software and implement it in their own device so long as they abide by the conditions of the GNU Public License (GPL) the Squeezebox system is licensed under. As of this time (March 2011) I am unaware of anyone else using the Squeezebox software. (Though Sonore / Vortex box do use it as part of their Linux based music servers).

Second, I believe it would be acceptable for you to mention the UPnP system as an alternative, mentioning Naim alongside others using the same system (i.e. Linn, PS Audio, Resolution Audio, Marantz, Denon, Rotel, Arcam and many others. This would be providing information to posters rather than backdoor advertising for a product ou supply.

Third (and a technicality) there is no such product as an iTouch - it's an iPod Touch. Yes I'm a pedant.

Fourth, the rules apply equally to Apple employees. I'm sure if, in a thread asking what computer to buy, Steve Jobs posted "buy a Mac Mini" Chris would equally jump on him. That's the equivalent of your post.

In summary, the general rules for replying to a post such as this (for example) would be ... "No, but have you considered UPnP devices" is an acceptable reply for a dealer / manufacturer; whereas "No, but have you considered a Naim NDX" is (as has been commented) not an acceptable reply.

Eloise

Eloise

---

Of course the only problem with me supposedly shilling for Naim is the simple fact that no one knows what my business is as I've never advertised on here with the name of my shop, my website or even where I am located. Kind of tough to do any business with out those small details. I am certainly not out drumming up business for Naim just so that they can get a new customer which has NO bearing on my business so I'm not really sure where you are going with that either.

Your point is taken with Squeezebox software. My point is that they are indeed in the hardware business.

iTouch...iPod Touch....*s* you ARE pedantic. But I always appreciate being called out on simple mistakes. I'm sure you do too.

Do you seriously put me in the same league as Steve Jobs? I am flattered!

I get your point, you've made it clear. You've also done more harm than good in my eyes by your tone and the way you approached this whole little mistep on my part. I am surprised and dissapointed at your backhanded allegations and certainly will be sure to steer clear of your posts in the future.

Consider me suitably chastened.

PS. See you on the Naim forum.

David

Sorry if it seems that way! Some things just happen to hit the right buttons.

I can usually turn the other cheek with the very best of them but even us lowly "dealers" feel a need to defend ourselves once in awhile.

I appreciate the beer offer though, thanks for the thought.

PS. Not a whole lot of "retail" left in case you hadn't noticed and at the end of the day after getting it from all angles it doesn't help to get it when you are trying your darndest to be above board and cheery in what is one of the most difficult and challenging times in the history of our industry. My apologies for

bringing a bit of levity to the discussion.

David

It is a challenge to sell people expensive gear, especially cheap old farts like me, and any sense of "sales" can raise hackles all over the place. It's the same thing that happens when someone who is utterly enamored with a particular chunk of hardware proposes it as the solution to every issue. (i.e. Buy a Mac! Buy a Windows Machine! Buy a PSB Speaker! Buy Maggies! Buy Benchmark! etc.)

It doesn't seem to happen very much here in Chris' place, nor do people often jump out an play topic police. However, even the merest hint of such behavior and people can get all prickly.

But given that, my local "stereo shop" has to be one of the very best in the world. Great people, great advice, no pressure, and I try very hard to buy anything I can from them. That kind of limits my choices sometimes, but it's worth it to support them.

(Plug: If you are in the Austin area, stop by Audio Systems, say hello, and tell 'em I sent you. Better yet, buy something from them! I want them to stay in business a long time! :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I find it refreshing and I applaud your sense of loyalty to what sounds like an excellent dealer! It's a bit difficult, to say the least, to make comments about ANY equipment (which many folks are searching for) without it appearing to be self serving. If you knew me at all you would know that having someone have to tell me to "Just relax a bit" is a bit like telling a 12 year old labrador to chill and take a nap! *lol* I am relaxed to a fault most of the time and my clients are not only not pressured, they are like old friends after a short period of time.

I really appreciate your response to this thread and for once I actually may have needed the advice. So onward to more relaxing and by the way I took your advice and had a beer last night after reading your last post!

Nice plug for favorite dealer! We need more of you!

David

@ Eloise

High end CD player vs. Computer playback comparison

This thread is from a dealer that I know carries both the ARC products and I believe he also carries the Audioquest. Is this something you need to comment on or are we only looking at XXX dealers? Should he have left all mention of specific products out of this insightful post?

PS. I represent MANY more companies than the unmentionable one.

David

Hi realhifi - It really helps that I know Rick (the original poster) from meeting him several times at shows, talking on the phone several times, and he flew out to the Computer Audiophile Symposium at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley. I don't favor him, it's simply that I know he has good intentions and truly a very nice gentleman. There's no need to treat every dealer the same when I know every dealer is not the same. Some come on the site only looking for free advertising while others offer great information CA readers are want.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I would not think you would favor any dealer at all and if I have infered that then my apologies! If indeed you welcome dealers insight and comments on the site then you do. I completely understand that. My (obviously) kneejerk reaction has not been to YOU or this site all along. I am sorry if it appeared that way.

To reiterate; seeing as I have had no contact with anyone as being a dealer, not made myself known as a dealer, it seems a bit odd to be taken to task (by another member) over supposedly promoting products that I carry seeing as no one knows how to purchase from me! I am truly at a loss as to how I personally benefit from saying that Naim makes great products or that Audio Research (which I also carry) makes one hell of a Dac. If it would help if I put a disclaimer at the bottom of my posts that indeed I am a dealer then I am certainly willing to do so if you think that might help in people not thinking I am trying to "sell" something on here. I'm not. Frankly I'm not sure why I am actually being taken to task on this at all to be perfectly honest.

I am a passionate music lover and audiophile that has 40 plus

years in this game and have heard litteraly hundreds and hundreds of products and I am simply always trying to help someone to get the very best music they can get in their home.

If the fact that I am also a dealer in the industry is a problem then please simply let me know and I can adjust my posts accordingly, though I am not 100% sure how. Possibly you could let me know the parameters that I should use to post on the site and I can follow them.

I dig your site, I think getting the word out about how this computer driven music movement can drive a resurgence in high quality music reproduction being more of a mainstream and "normal" thing rather than on the outskirts of the conversation is a good thing. Let's all band together on this and see if we can't make that happen. Lord knows the industry sure needs it!

David