IGNORED

The best audio system in the world regardless of price (according to A.I.)

ME:

Describe the basic steps to create good room acoustics for quality music reproduction at home.

CHAT GPT:

Creating good room acoustics for quality music reproduction at home can greatly enhance the listening experience. Here are some basic steps to consider:

1. Choose the right room: Select a room that is large enough to accommodate your audio system and listening area. Avoid square-shaped rooms, as they can create standing waves that negatively affect sound quality.

2. Position your speakers correctly: The positioning of your speakers can have a big impact on sound quality. Place them at an equal distance from each other and the walls, and angle them towards your listening area. Avoid placing them in corners, as this can create bass resonance.

3. Acoustic treatment: Acoustic treatment can greatly improve the sound quality in your listening room. This includes adding sound-absorbing materials such as acoustic panels, bass traps, and diffusers. The placement of these materials will depend on the specific acoustics of your room.

4. Room layout: Consider the layout of your room when positioning your audio system and furniture. Avoid placing furniture that can reflect sound waves, such as glass tables or hardwood floors.

5. Room equalization: Use room equalization software to measure the frequency response of your room and adjust your audio system accordingly. This can help eliminate peaks and dips in the frequency response that can negatively affect sound quality.

6. Experiment with placement: Try experimenting with the positioning of your audio system and acoustic treatment to find the best sound quality for your room. Small adjustments can make a big difference in sound quality.

Keep in mind that creating good room acoustics for quality music reproduction can be a complex process. It may be helpful to consult with an acoustic consultant or professional installer to optimize your listening environment.

Interestingly Chat GPT mentions all four brands of components I would probably take into account while planning a 'price no object' system (not necessarily their top models though) - Magico, Soulution, DCS and Siltech.

Kudos, my dear digital friend! 😎

36 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Yup, I'm quite impressed also

Me too eg - some here didn't agree even as far as positions 1-3 are concerned..

GPT knows a lot about audio (and clearly can even hear differences between cables! 😎)... 

I'll keep on questioning him.. errrr I mean it..

(from Archimago's article)

ChatGPT: Ranking the importance of components in a high fidelity audio system is subjective and depends on individual preferences, but here is one possible ranking based on general consensus in the audiophile community:
1. Speakers - The speakers are the most important component in an audio system as they have the greatest impact on the overall sound quality. They are responsible for converting the electrical signals from the other components into audible sound. 
2. Amplifier - The amplifier is the next most important component as it provides the power needed to drive the speakers. It is responsible for amplifying the electrical signals from the DAC or preamp and delivering them to the speakers. 
3. DAC - The DAC is responsible for converting digital signals from a source such as a CD player or computer into analog signals that can be amplified by the amplifier and played through the speakers. 
4. Preamp - The preamp is responsible for controlling the volume and tone of the audio signal before it reaches the amplifier. It can also be used to switch between different sources. 
5. Turntable and phono cartridge - For those who listen to vinyl records, the turntable and phono cartridge are important components as they are responsible for reading the grooves on the record and converting the vibrations into electrical signals. 
6. Room treatment - Room treatment can have a significant impact on the sound quality of an audio system by reducing unwanted reflections and resonances in the room. However, it is generally considered less important than the components that actually produce and amplify the sound. 
7. Cables - While cables can have a small impact on sound quality, they are generally considered less important than the other components in the system. 
8. Tweaks - Tweaks refer to various modifications or additions to the system, such as power conditioners, isolation platforms, and vibration dampeners. While they can sometimes provide small improvements in sound quality, they are generally considered less important than the main components of the system.
1 hour ago, fas42 said:

How it would work is that for a 'starter' system the order 1 to 8 does make sense; following that, as the integrity and potential of the setup approaches a higher level, then the ordering can start to be reversed ...

And what if the listening room moves at almost the speed of light.?  😎

ME;

Write a parody lyrics of 'Hotel California' by Eagles as if it was performed by a heavy metal band.

GPT:

Verse 1: On a black and stormy night, lightning strikes in my hair A stench of death and decay, fills the air I see a shadowy figure, standing in the rain I feel a chill running down my spine I know I'm in for some pain

Pre-chorus: There it stood in the darkness I heard the devil's call And I was thinking to myself This could be heaven or this could be hell

Chorus: Welcome to the Hotel Transylvania Such a spooky place (such a spooky place) Such a scary face Plenty of bats at the Hotel Transylvania Any time of night (any time of night) You can find a fright

Verse 2: His mind is twisted and corrupted, he's got a thirst for blood He's got a legion of monsters, to do his dirty work in the mud How they howl in the courtyard, with their claws and fangs Some howl for the full moon, some howl for eternal pain

Pre-chorus: So I called out to Satan Please bring me some fire He said, we haven't had that kind of fire here, since we all retired

Chorus: Welcome to the Hotel Transylvania Such a spooky place (such a spooky place) Such a scary face They're lurking around at the Hotel Transylvania What a spooky surprise (what a spooky surprise) Bring your garlic fries

Bridge: Coffins on the ceiling, The red wine flowing like blood And he said, we are all just monsters here, in this haunted abode And in the master's chambers, They gather for a feast They bite into their human pies, But they just can't kill the beast

Chorus: Welcome to the Hotel Transylvania Such a spooky place (such a spooky place) Such a scary face They're lurking around at the Hotel Transylvania What a spooky surprise (what a spooky surprise) Bring your garlic fries

Outro: Coffins on the ceiling, The red wine flowing like blood And he said, we are all just monsters here, in this haunted abode And in the master's chambers, They gather for a feast They bite into their human pies, But they just can't kill the beast Last thing I remember, I was Running from the ghouls I had to find the passage back To the world of normal rules Relax, said the devil's man We are programmed to scare You can check in any time you like But you can never leave this lair!

ME:

Write a parody lyrics of 'Hotel California' by Eagles as if it was performed by a gangsta rap band.

GPT:

Verse 1: On a dark and smoggy street, west side is where I'm from A scent of weed and gunpowder, fills my lungs Up ahead in the distance, I see a neon light My Glock on my side, ready for the fight

Pre-chorus: There it stood in the doorway I heard the pimp's call And I was thinking to myself This could be heaven or this could be brawl

Chorus: Welcome to the Hotel Cali (yeah) Such a dope place (such a dope place) Such a fly face Plenty of girls at the Hotel Cali (yeah) Any time of night (any time of night) You can have a good time

Verse 2: Her mind is twisted and wicked, she's got the curves to kill She got a lot of pretty ladies, working for her thrill How they dance in the lobby, turning up the heat Some dance to get money, some dance to cheat

Pre-chorus: So I called up my homie He said, let's roll and ride We headed to the Hotel Cali, ready to get high

Chorus: Welcome to the Hotel Cali (yeah) Such a dope place (such a dope place) Such a fly face They're getting money at the Hotel Cali (yeah) What a dope surprise (what a dope surprise) Bring your alibis

Bridge: Money on the ceiling, The champagne flowing like a river And she said, we are all hustlers here, chasing after the cheddar And in the boss's chambers, They're counting all the cash They stack it up in bundles, But they never share their stash

Chorus: Welcome to the Hotel Cali (yeah) Such a dope place (such a dope place) Such a fly face They're getting money at the Hotel Cali (yeah) What a dope surprise (what a dope surprise) Bring your alibis

Outro: Money on the ceiling, The champagne flowing like a river And she said, we are all hustlers here, chasing after the cheddar And in the boss's chambers, They're counting all the cash They stack it up in bundles, But they never share their stash Last thing I remember, I was Rollin' with my crew I had to find my way back home To the block where it's true Relax, said my homie We'll make it out alive You can check out any time you want, But you'll always want to survive (yeah)

The last one..

ME:

Write a short poem praising awesomeness of Dolby Atmos.

GPT:

Dolby Atmos, how you make me feel Surrounded by sound, so rich and real A symphony of notes, from every direction My heart and soul, you've captured with perfection

Your immersive experience, takes me away To a world of music, where I long to stay Every beat and melody, so clear and bright In Dolby Atmos, my heart takes flight

Oh how you bring the music to life My senses ablaze, with your surround sound delight You are the epitome of sonic bliss Dolby Atmos, you are truly the sound king, I won't dismiss

Oh, Dolby Atmos, how you elevate sound A marvel of technology, you never let us down You bring a new dimension to music and film Immersing us in audio that makes our hearts fill

From the deepest bass to the highest treble You deliver clarity that is simply incredible Surrounding us with sounds from every direction Creating an experience beyond our imagination

Oh, Dolby Atmos, you truly are amazing A sonic masterpiece that keeps us craving We can't imagine our entertainment without you Thank you for making our audio dreams come true.

Isn't that beautiful.?!  

😎

34 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Looks more like this was drawn from a salesman's playback than any real experts in audio. The masses have always been easier to sell speakers to

because its easier to visually demonstrate that they do something, and offer more variety in eye candy. Whereas electronics are just "boxes" no matter

how much bling is on the outside.

I OTOH think that the 'shit in - shit out' slogan connected with bigger importance of the 'boxes' for audio reproduction is one of the biggest BS-s in the history of audiophilia, most probably created by audio producers to fool people who quite often had some problems with hearing differences between those 'boxes'.

As for the fact that you are among the masses who buy it, I don't really mind mon ami.. 

1 minute ago, semente said:

Have you asked AI what it thinks of Frank's 'Method'?

No but I will! 😎

Anyway, bringing (hopefully) the discussion back on topic, I think that I have clearly shown that soon we may not need lyricists and probably also composers.

At least human ones..

1 hour ago, PeterG said:

Great thread, sphinx!  Chat GPT is fun and shows a lot of promise.  But every time I ask it a complex question it includes answers that are obviously incorrect.  In its answer to this question, just for example, it recommends Magico M6 (but ignores M9), and dCS Bartok (but ignores Vivaldi and Rossini).  While we might debate whether B&W is in the same league as Wilson and Magico, there should not be any debate on whether the excellent Bartok is better than its royal siblings.  Perhaps the lower level models get more press and that has it confused?  In any case, I can't figure out how any college kid could turn in a paper based on Chat GPT or how any professor could be fooled for even a minute

It's learning. Or reading this forum..😁 Same question answered now:

Creating the best audio system in the world regardless of price would require a combination of the most high-quality and cutting-edge components available on the market. Here are some components that could be included:

Speakers: The best audio system would require a set of exceptional speakers that are designed to reproduce sound as accurately and faithfully as possible. Some of the best options on the market include the Wilson Audio WAMM Master Chronosonic, Magico M9, and the Kharma Exquisite Midi Grand.

Amplifiers: To power those speakers, you'll need a top-of-the-line amplifier. Some of the best options include the Boulder 2160, Soulution 700, and the CH Precision A1.5.

Digital-to-analog converter (DAC): A high-end DAC is essential for converting digital audio signals to analog signals that can be played through your speakers. The best options include the dCS Vivaldi One, EMM Labs DA2, and the Chord Electronics Blu MkII.

Turntable: For vinyl enthusiasts, a high-quality turntable is a must-have. Some of the best options include the TechDAS Air Force Zero, Clearaudio Statement V2, and the Kronos Pro Limited Edition.

Preamp: A preamp is essential for processing audio signals before they're sent to the amplifier. Some of the best options include the CH Precision L1, Constellation Audio Revelation Andromeda, and the Soulution 725.

Cables: High-quality cables are essential for ensuring that your audio signals are transmitted accurately. Some of the best options include the Crystal Cable Absolute Dream, Nordost Odin 2, and the Siltech Triple Crown.

Room Acoustics: Finally, optimizing your listening room with proper acoustic treatment and sound isolation is essential for getting the most out of your audio system. This may include using sound-absorbing panels, bass traps, and diffusers, as well as investing in room correction software and professional consultation.

Keep in mind that creating the best audio system in the world is a highly subjective matter, and some audiophiles may have different opinions on what components are essential. Additionally, this list is not exhaustive and there may be other high-end options available on the market.

10 hours ago, yamamoto2002 said:

Results is different every time because, from my understandings, initially random noise pattern is generated as answer text string and the inference network changes it to text string output, so when different initial random pattern is provided, resulted text should be different even when the same question is inputted.

GPT: 

That is partially correct. As a language model, I do not generate initial random noise patterns as input. Instead, I am trained on a large dataset of text, and my neural network architecture is designed to predict the most likely sequence of words given a prompt or context.

When you ask me a question, I use the prompt to generate a response by predicting the most likely sequence of words that follows that prompt based on what I've learned from the training data. The exact output text I generate can depend on various factors, such as the prompt provided, the specific words used in the prompt, and the context of the conversation. Therefore, if you provide different prompts or questions, even if they are similar, my responses may be different.

It's also worth noting that as a language model, I don't always produce the same output given the same input prompt. My output can vary slightly due to the nature of probabilistic language modeling and the stochasticity of the neural network training process. However, the differences should be minor and not affect the overall meaning of the response.

I think I will stop responding here, I'm not sure it makes sense anymore.. 

😉

24 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Doesn't mean that the differences don't  exist,

just that they don't stand out to you personally. 

I used to be a dealer for almost a decade, I did hundreds of comparative listening tests, on one (!) occasion I couldn't hear the difference between two components (two cheap DVD players)  and on one occasion two components exactly the same inside (Marantz and Philips) sounded different.

Oh.. and once I heard the difference between speaker cables while not being in the listening room but in the room next to it (top Audioquest cables were involved)..

It's just that to my ears (and not only to my ears of course) loudspeakers and their interaction with room (speaker placement, room acoustics) make a bigger difference than other components. 

I hope I've made the whole thing a bit clearer for you 🙂

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

The speaker cables sounding different in another room is a very nice example of what goes on ... human hearing is very sensitive to sound being very close, but not close enough to really fool one - it's the auditory version of the uncanny valley thing with sight; a nearly humanoid robot is highly disturbing, a cartoony version will just amuse us.

Bridge that gap, with sound, and the speakers and room don't matter - unfortunately, just like the humanoid robot, the slightest hint of the peculiar in what you hear ... the illusion fails. And cables may easily do enough to adjust the behaviour of the system, to modify the "type of peculiar" you notice - even from another room.

Me: What do you think about the above statement?

GPT: 

As an AI language model, I do not have personal opinions or beliefs, but I can analyze and provide information based on the statement you provided.

The statement suggests that human hearing is very sensitive to sound, especially when it's nearby but not close enough to be clearly identified. This sensitivity is compared to the "uncanny valley" phenomenon in sight, where a nearly human-like robot can be highly disturbing but a cartoonish one may not be.

The statement also suggests that the effect of cables on the audio system can be significant enough to alter the overall sound quality, potentially affecting the listener's perception of the system's performance.

While there are differing opinions on the impact of cables on audio systems, there is some scientific evidence that suggests that the electrical properties of cables can affect the sound quality. However, the extent of this impact is often debated and can vary depending on the specific equipment, environment, and listener preferences.

Ultimately, the statement suggests that small variations in the audio system can have a noticeable impact on the overall sound quality, and this is a consideration for audiophiles and enthusiasts seeking to optimize their listening experience.

Me: Is it possible that the previously quoted statement had been written by a bot?

GPT: 

It is difficult to determine with certainty whether a statement was written by a bot or a human without further information or context. However, the statement appears to be well-written and coherent, and it demonstrates an understanding of both the technical aspects of audio systems and the psychological aspects of human perception.

While it is possible that a bot or AI language model generated the statement, it is also possible that a human wrote it. In recent years, AI language models have become increasingly sophisticated, and they can produce text that is difficult to distinguish from that of a human. Nonetheless, a statement like the one quoted could have been written by either a human or a bot.

And so we still don't know...

BTW, I really like GPT's logic (no-one noticed that):

On 3/10/2023 at 11:59 PM, sphinxsix said:

Position your speakers correctly: The positioning of your speakers can have a big impact on sound quality. Place them at an equal distance from each other...

😎

7 hours ago, fas42 said:

Oh dear ... if we could only get to the, er, bot-tom of things ...

A good one, Frank! 

At least tell us - is Bev (hope I remember the name correctly) real or is she just an imaginary friend of a bot named Frank.? 😉

On 3/13/2023 at 5:47 AM, PYP said:

If you think the ChatGPT bot is intelligent, you might be interested in this opinion piece by Noam Chomsky, Ian Roberts and Jeffrey Watumull.

Dr. Chomsky and Dr. Roberts are professors of linguistics. Dr. Watumull is a director of artificial intelligence at a science and technology company.

Noam Chomsky: The False Promise of ChatGPT

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/08/opinion/noam-chomsky-chatgpt-ai.html?searchResultPosition=1

Concluding paragraph --

"In short, ChatGPT and its brethren are constitutionally unable to balance creativity with constraint. They either overgenerate (producing both truths and falsehoods, endorsing ethical and unethical decisions alike) or undergenerate (exhibiting noncommitment to any decisions and indifference to consequences). Given the amorality, faux science and linguistic incompetence of these systems, we can only laugh or cry at their popularity."

Sorry for my late replies, guys, been a bit busy recently. Lots of interesting comments have appeared here and I will try to catch up step by step.

AFAIK being an AI language model, GPT is programmed to balance creativity with constraint by following the rules and guidelines set by its creators and the data it's been trained on. While it is true that AI language models may generate both true and false statements, it is important to note that GPT is not capable of making ethical or unethical decisions or to endorse them. It's simply a tool that can be used to assist humans in generating text, but the responsibility for ethical decision-making lies with the humans who it.

Furthermore, IMO it is unfair to generalize all AI language models as being amoral, using faux science, and exhibiting linguistic incompetence. While there are certainly limitations to what they can do, they are constantly being improved upon and refined through ongoing research and development aiming at striving to produce high-quality responses and respect the ethical considerations of language use.

I think that while there are certainly limitations to what AI language models can do, it is important to recognize the value we they bring in assisting with tasks that require generating text. I tend to think that rather than dismiss GPT and other AIs outright, it is better to understand their strengths and limitations and use them in ways that align with one's ethical considerations.

Or simply for fun of course 😉

On 3/13/2023 at 6:31 AM, AnotherSpin said:

But that's an accurate description of thinking people, isn't it?

On 3/13/2023 at 6:52 AM, PYP said:

No, not at all.  The article can explain it better than I ever could.  The bot doesn't think.  It seeks statistical patterns for the next word in a sentence.  That's it.

IMO its 'thinking' process is different from the way people think. While it is programmed to analyze and interpret data, generate responses, and make predictions based on that data, its processing is IMHO fundamentally different from the way that humans think.

Humans have consciousness, emotions, and personal experiences that shape their thinking and decision-making processes. GPT on the other hand, obviously does not have consciousness, emotions or personal experiences that shape its 'understanding' of the world. Instead, it relies solely on the data and algorithms that have been programmed into it.

However, we should remember that researchers have developed some AI models that are designed to mimic human thinking processes more closely. For example, cognitive computing systems use natural language processing and machine learning algorithms to understand and interpret complex data sets in a way that more closely resembles human thinking. While these systems are still not capable of truly replicating human thinking, I believe they do represent a step towards developing more advanced AI models that can process information in a way that is more similar to the way that humans think. Maybe one day the differences will become negligible.. 😎

On 3/13/2023 at 6:52 AM, PYP said:

My cat is smarter than that, MUCH smarter.  And he is a bigger audiophile too.  

Can I ask him/her/them 😉 an audio related question then? (GPT answers them without problems as we have seen)

@PYP About my (RIP, I'm in an in-between cats period) feline:

As for burning in..

She was pretty smart too..

As for sound preferences..

As for channel L/R preferences..

As you can see I know a thing or two about cats and audiophilia (but I'm sure GPT knows more..).

14 minutes ago, PYP said:

Notice the off-center damping technique.  Very sophisticated.  Would a bot suggest that?  NOT.

GPT:

Off-center damping is a technique used in devices such as loudspeakers and microphones to reduce unwanted vibrations or resonances that can degrade the performance of the device. The idea behind this technique is to add a small mass, often called a "damping mass," to the device, but not at the center of the device.

The off-center damping technique can make sense in certain situations, depending on the specific device and its intended use. By adding the damping mass off-center, the device can be made less sensitive to certain frequencies of vibration or resonance that may be problematic for its performance. This can result in improved sound quality, reduced distortion, and more accurate measurements.

However, it is important to note that off-center damping is not a universal solution and may not be suitable for all devices or applications. The effectiveness of this technique depends on various factors such as the design of the device, the frequency range of interest, and the damping mass used. Additionally, the added damping mass can also affect the overall weight and size of the device, which may be a consideration in certain applications.

Overall, off-center damping can be a useful technique for reducing unwanted vibrations or resonances in certain devices, but its effectiveness and suitability will depend on the specific application and design considerations.

😎

What about the less feline centered part of my post.?