IGNORED

streamer vs preamp - which is having more influence on the sound?

Quokka

Question

So I have a Hegel P20 preamp at home.  It's been running for the last 3 years with a connected external CD player via analogue inputs.    The preamp also has home theatre bypass so my avr also connects to it and I can switch between the two sources as needed.   My Power amp is a Hegel C55.

Lately though I really wanted to get into music streaming so I bought a dedicated music streamer in the Lumin D2 and connected that to the preamp instead of the external CD player.

My question is what is having more influence on the sound that I'm hearing?   I know power amps have an influence on sound but let's just concentrate on streamer vs preamp here.   Is it the DAC in the streamer (or CD player...whichever one is connected) or is it the preamp that's primarily responsible for the sound I'm hearing?  I know it would be hard to actually "quantify" amounts here but any explanations would be appreciated.  Despite my high end equipment, I'm still a newbie when it comes to the audiophile world.  

5 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Quokka said:

So I have a Hegel P20 preamp at home.  It's been running for the last 3 years with a connected external CD player via analogue inputs.  ...

Lately though I really wanted to get into music streaming so I bought a dedicated music streamer in the Lumin D2 and connected that to the preamp instead of the external CD player.

My question is what is having more influence on the sound that I'm hearing?   ...

I have a Linn Genki that I bought in 2001, its a fine HDCD player, especially since I can bypass the dated DAC section and use BNC out to newer DAC's.

But the limitations of mechanical transport keep it from matching the detail retrieval of a lossless streaming solution that stays purely in the computer

digital domain until D/A conversion occurs.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

It's a tricky question without having direct knowledge of each component.  But assuming your goal is to improve sonics with the best bang for the buck, I would guess that the streamer/DAC is having the biggest impact.  If I'm right about your goal being an upgrade, I would take a look at placing the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC between the streamer and the pre amp (note that I am assuming you can bypass the internal DAC).  Good luck!

I think there are comparisons you can make, in case you are interested in alternate setups.

You need a (free) sound level meter app on your smartphone.

1. Compare Lumin D2 analog output in your preamp setup vs the D2 direct analog output to the power amp.  In the latter case, turns on Volume Control, Leed Processing Volume, turn the volume way down before you play something.  Do a level matched comparison of your favorite complex track that lets you compare details, imaging, dynamics and bass.  This exercise determines how much the preamp contributes (or takes away) the sound quality in your setup.

2. This requires the preamp to be used.  Assuming your CD player has a coaxial input and supports up to 192kHz, you may get a 1.5m BNC to RCA 75 ohm coaxial cable to connect the D2 BNC port to the CD player coaxial input port.  In Lumin app, turn on Digital Output, set MQA Mode to Core Decode, and DSD to PCM 176.4kHz, turn off Volume Control (since you're using the preamp).  This exercise compares the D2 DAC against your CD player DAC.  If you decide to revert to use D2 DAC, set MQA Mode back to Full Decode, and DSD to Bitstream.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead