IGNORED

opticalRendu network streamer – a review

Have you tried the ethernet in on your Gustard R26 DAC? This gets rid of the need for the Optical Rendu altogether. I just oicked up the R26 for a second system and run run the ethernet straight into it with a dedicated roon server on an old MacMini. Pretty impressed with this running into a Wilsenton R8 with some Electrovoice Senty III speakers. My primary system has two etherregens in series into an optical rendu. Both rendus have AfterDark clocks and are powered by high end linear power supplies all around. This all running to a Terminator 2 dac. Once the Gustard is burned in I am curious to see how it fares against the T2 with and without all the ethernet toys in front.

EtherRegen powered by Sonore UltraCap LPS1.2 -> Optical Cable ->OpticalRendu powered by SGC 50w LPS -> Ghent silver plated ->star quad USB (JSSG360)->Denafrips Hermes DDC -> i2S HDMI (Clocked by Terminator Dac via BNC)->Denafrips Terminator II Dac->Linear Tube Audio Preamplifier->Melody 845M Monoblocks -> Silversmith Fidelium Speaker Cables->Pure Audio Project Trio15 Coaxial Open Baffle Speakers->2X SVS 4000 Subwoofers->All connected to PSAudio P10 Power Plant

Ilatpoh76, my homeplug is TP-Link AV600 Powerline Ethernet Adapter (TL-PA4010 KIT) per Andrew's recommendation. Seems to work faultlessly. Vastly better than a wifi extender. 

Sandston, I did try the ethernet input on the Gustard R26 DAC. It sounded very proficient sonically without being clinical or over-analytic, but still I found I wasn't connecting to the music on a gut level (especially noticeable on vocals). Once I got the oRendu working into the Gustard's USB input everything felt much better. I should note that I tried this during the initial stages of burning in the DAC, so I will compare its USB vs. ethernet performance again at some point. But I suspect the Gustard's onboard facility doesn't really rival the oRendu for sound quality.  ///  I don't know about the etherregen but will definitely check it out.  ///  I'm really curious about Soundnews' claim that the R26 rivals Denafrips's Terminator DACs. Cool that you are in a position to test that!

You don't get very much for your money with the Sonore products do you? It always puts me off spending my money on them. Tiny little boxes that require separate quality LPSU to work at their best. For the cost of an Optical Rendu and LPSU there are a multitude of beautiful and capable transports.

I'd like to listen to one in my system to see what the fuss is about, but I'm not sure I'd feel much pride of ownership and that's important when spending £2K on anything in life.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a thoughtful and detailed review providing important context. It's definitely chock full of insight from actual experience comparing different DACs and giving some context that is useful to others. 

Would be curious is the Node got a similar galvanic treatment coming from a router just with a couple of media converter boxes with fiber. I've set that up (with a 5v lps into both) and am very impressed by the improvement on my sensitive system.

Was also curious about the Sonora options more along the lines of an UltraRendu but that's not in the cards right now. What I've done is use Aurdivana 2.1 from may M1 MacBook Air as the base to a 2011 Mac Mini which is rigged with the fiber and media converters. Wanted to use the Mac Mini as a "Sonore" type device and installed JRiver so the laptop can "see" it. Not only did it work; it's working the best ever. 

The fiber with converter boxes was a very nice jump. Now, it's taken another leap. I'm curious about the new Wiim Pro streamer coming later this month. I will test it with the fiber and media converter boxes. It could prove interesting if nothing else. 

Thanks again for the shared insights here. 

• 3 months later...

Just found this post - I have been enjoying my opticalRendu for about 6 months.  I previously had a microRendu and wasn't happy even though I was using the galvanic isolation with two media convertors.

I take my feed off of my router with a 60 foot long Cat 6 ethernet cable because our router is in a different part of the house than my listening room.  I thought about using a homeplug and have used them in the past but I feel they introduce noise onto the power line.  My "expert" on networking says there is no loss on a 60 foot run of Cat 6.  It did cost me $200 to have him make the run but I feel it worth it, even if it's just the placebo effect.

The first thing the ethernet cable goes into is a commercial grade CISCO Switch that I bought on eBay for $80.  My music sounds "better" with the router in the chain.  More musical?  Slightly better clarity and sound stage?  Hard to describe but it's there.  I know there are much more expensive switches out there that are above my budget.

The ethernet cable goes into a tp-link MC200L media converter - $20.  It's powered by a Small Green Computer LPS, $189.  So far no expensive cables.  I tried a $400 ethernet cable and did not hear a difference.  I come out of the tp-link with a garden variety fiber optic cable into the opticalRendu.  I am powering the opticalRendu with another SGC Power Supply.

Coming out of the opticalRendu with a fancy USB cable purchased from Small Green Computer - IN-AKUSTIK.  Sounded better to me than a basic cable and an Audioquest cable.

Now here comes another little box, thanks to Tom Gibbs.  Douk Audio U2 Pro ($65) - converts the USB to I2S.  I have an I2S input on my Gustard x26 pro DAC.  I'm using ANOTHER SGC power supply for the U2.  Again, a small but hearable improvement.  If anyone has an I2S (HDMI) input on their DAC I recommend giving it a try.  I tried an expensive HDMI cable but it didn't sound any better than an 8K cable I bought on Amazon.

I look at all these little black boxes and say: "How can this be better?" - but it is to my ears.  I've also recently added an Afterdark clock to my Gustard.  BIG DIFFERENCE.

Here's the rest of my system:  Schitt Freya+ preamp (I'm coming out of the Gustard balanced).  Bryston 7B ST monoblocks.  Magnepan Tympani ID speakers.  (I have an analog front end also).

I'm accessing Qobuz with the mconnect app on my iPad.  I tried Roon and loved the interface but it didn't sound any better to me.  The mconnect HD interface on an iPad is quite good.  The multi room thing is not meaningful to me.

Also - I have a USB drive with a few hundred WAV files - ripped CDs.  the drive shows up on mconnect when I connect it to the USB input on my router.  I can play these files and they sound good, although I have to play one song at a time.  This isn't a big deal to me as almost everything have ripped is on Qobuz and almost always the Qobuz tracks sound "as good as" the files on the drive.

It's kind of liberating to not have any computers.

I did my DAC comparisons when I still had the microRendu.  I started with a first generation Schiit Bifrost, and tried a Chord Qutest, Benchmark and Gustard x16.  Decided the x26 improvement was subtle, but I spent the extra money.  Pretty easy to try stuff when you buy it on Amazon!  (not that I don't support and appreciate my local shops!)

So - address the initial premise of this thread:  I'm very happy with the performance of the opticalRendu and like the idea of being able to achieve galvanic isolation without another little box - my system is very musical now and my digital rig sound compares well to my analog.

I have questions - why would I want a "streamer"?  What would it do for me?  Solus, did you consider an x26?  Since you're not using the ethernet input it would seem to be a good alternative.

18 hours ago, Boulder Bob said:

Just found this post - I have been enjoying my opticalRendu for about 6 months.  I previously had a microRendu and wasn't happy even though I was using the galvanic isolation with two media convertors.

I take my feed off of my router with a 60 foot long Cat 6 ethernet cable because our router is in a different part of the house than my listening room.  I thought about using a homeplug and have used them in the past but I feel they introduce noise onto the power line.  My "expert" on networking says there is no loss on a 60 foot run of Cat 6.  It did cost me $200 to have him make the run but I feel it worth it, even if it's just the placebo effect.

The first thing the ethernet cable goes into is a commercial grade CISCO Switch that I bought on eBay for $80.  My music sounds "better" with the router in the chain.  More musical?  Slightly better clarity and sound stage?  Hard to describe but it's there.  I know there are much more expensive switches out there that are above my budget.

The ethernet cable goes into a tp-link MC200L media converter - $20.  It's powered by a Small Green Computer LPS, $189.  So far no expensive cables.  I tried a $400 ethernet cable and did not hear a difference.  I come out of the tp-link with a garden variety fiber optic cable into the opticalRendu.  I am powering the opticalRendu with another SGC Power Supply.

Coming out of the opticalRendu with a fancy USB cable purchased from Small Green Computer - IN-AKUSTIK.  Sounded better to me than a basic cable and an Audioquest cable.

Now here comes another little box, thanks to Tom Gibbs.  Douk Audio U2 Pro ($65) - converts the USB to I2S.  I have an I2S input on my Gustard x26 pro DAC.  I'm using ANOTHER SGC power supply for the U2.  Again, a small but hearable improvement.  If anyone has an I2S (HDMI) input on their DAC I recommend giving it a try.  I tried an expensive HDMI cable but it didn't sound any better than an 8K cable I bought on Amazon.

I look at all these little black boxes and say: "How can this be better?" - but it is to my ears.  I've also recently added an Afterdark clock to my Gustard.  BIG DIFFERENCE.

Here's the rest of my system:  Schitt Freya+ preamp (I'm coming out of the Gustard balanced).  Bryston 7B ST monoblocks.  Magnepan Tympani ID speakers.  (I have an analog front end also).

I'm accessing Qobuz with the mconnect app on my iPad.  I tried Roon and loved the interface but it didn't sound any better to me.  The mconnect HD interface on an iPad is quite good.  The multi room thing is not meaningful to me.

Also - I have a USB drive with a few hundred WAV files - ripped CDs.  the drive shows up on mconnect when I connect it to the USB input on my router.  I can play these files and they sound good, although I have to play one song at a time.  This isn't a big deal to me as almost everything have ripped is on Qobuz and almost always the Qobuz tracks sound "as good as" the files on the drive.

It's kind of liberating to not have any computers.

I did my DAC comparisons when I still had the microRendu.  I started with a first generation Schiit Bifrost, and tried a Chord Qutest, Benchmark and Gustard x16.  Decided the x26 improvement was subtle, but I spent the extra money.  Pretty easy to try stuff when you buy it on Amazon!  (not that I don't support and appreciate my local shops!)

So - address the initial premise of this thread:  I'm very happy with the performance of the opticalRendu and like the idea of being able to achieve galvanic isolation without another little box - my system is very musical now and my digital rig sound compares well to my analog.

I have questions - why would I want a "streamer"?  What would it do for me?  Solus, did you consider an x26?  Since you're not using the ethernet input it would seem to be a good alternative.

@Boulder Bob A streamer would theoretically receive the signal per Wi-Fi/Ethernet and forward it to the DAC, it would be controlled by the IPAD. Actually, your OR is a designated network streamer, thus you are already using one (perhaps not all of its functionalities)...

Edit: a streamer may pull media from local network sources like a NAS and forward them to the DAC.