IGNORED

Will USB C ports replace USB A-B ports for streamers and DACs in the future?

I'm noting that newer computers come with a USB C  port, that dongle DAC's are largely USB C now and that the EU just forced Apple to use USB C instead

of Lightning connector for future cell phones. Overall I find USB C connector end far more locked in place than USB A, B and micro USB connectors and the smaller size

easier to work with., less physical clearance conflicts.

Not seeing that Aurender, Innuos or Lumin streamers offer a USB C  port yet or that any major DAC manufacturer includes a  USB C port.

Is this just inertia or does USB C have any documented technical issues that would dis-incent future preference of it's use for USB DAC connection?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hi Dave, I know that Schiit eventually wants to have all USB C ports. That is what the Urd will have. My Mack Book Pro is all USB C and a DH Labs C to B cable works beautifully with the Yggy. I am not aware BTW of any so called high end cable manufacturer that offers a C to C cable. I was told simply there is no demand for it.

24 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

Hi Dave, I know that Schiit eventually wants to have all USB C ports. That is what the Urd will have. My Mack Book Pro is all USB C and a DH Labs C to B cable works beautifully with the Yggy. I am not aware BTW of any so called high end cable manufacturer that offers a C to C cable. I was told simply there is no demand for it.

The Cable Company has choices from Audioquest and Nordost. But its slim pickings compared to USB A/B options. The only real market driver I see now

are DAP's connecting to external portable DAC.

Playing around at the moment with a Cayin RU6 connected USB C to an 11i3 NUC which got me curious

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

I know that Schiit eventually wants to have all USB C ports. That is what the Urd will have. My Mack Book Pro is all USB C and a DH Labs C to B cable works beautifully with the Yggy. I am not aware BTW of any so called high end cable manufacturer that offers a C to C cable. I was told simply there is no demand for it.

Yes, I like the approach of Schiit going for USB-C.

Some time ago I asked over at WBF a HE cable manufacturer from the UK to offer USB-C connectors. He told me exactly the same. I acknowledge that it might be a PITA to solder USB-C connectors but there are people who like to do it. 

I got a very nice USB-A to USB-C from Singapore made out of a Gotham cable.

I really hope USB-C will replace eventually USB-A/B.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)