IGNORED

Beginner questions.

TheWeiss

Question

So, I'm very new to the whole world of audiophile. all I know is I love music, and enjoy it a lot!
now, I don't know the terminology so excuse it if I make some mistakes.

I've had the ATH-M50X's for a long time, and after reading a bit I've found that the ATH-R70X's are a great upgrade, but very different.

I've been reading around and the words DAC and AMPS come up a lot, is it mandatory? because the headphones work just plugged into my PC's Headphone jack, if it is mandatory which one to i get to fit the R70s.
Also about music in general, are there specific streaming services that provide a better listening experience? or a higher quality sound for that matter.

What are common things I should know going into the hobby in general would be great to know as well.
thank you for your time, and I am really looking forward for the future in this little endeavor I've taken on.

6 answers to this question

6 hours ago, feelingears said:
6 hours ago, feelingears said:

So get a Spotify or Amazon or Apple Music subscription or trial and compare with Qobuz. If you hear a difference, without any extra DAC or amp, that's something. The pricing is very similar so that's easy. But from there, well, remember: this hobby isn't just about the music. Some like the gear, some like the exploration, some are into home theater, some seek some aural nirvana that only they can hear (quite literally). And all, well, all of us audio-types spend way more money than we need to get what we already have in our cars and on our phones. 

Disagree--if all you do is switch streaming services, there is an excellent chance that you will not hear a change.  The crappy embedded DAC, amp, and speakers or headphones you are currently using will still produce crappy sound. 

Firedog has provided some excellent suggestions.  If you spend a few hundred or a few thousand dollars with the companies he's highlighted, and switch to CD quality or hi rez streams/downloads, you're likely to get a big smile.  And if you don't hear the difference, just return the gear. 

My first audiophile purchase was a $200 Dragonfly, and I had not even known what a DAC was when I walked into the store.  The difference was immediate, and I quickly added an entry level amp from NAD and speakers from B&W.  This first full system was <$3,000 all in, and it produced great sound, much better than a mass market system at the same price point.  Check out @DuckToller's excellent thread on $2500 systems for more ideas

Good luck!

On 11/7/2022 at 8:14 AM, feelingears said:

I don't tread into these waters often because if you love music, this hobby isn't just about the music, it's also sometimes about sound. Many people enjoy music over car stereo or wee little iPhone speaker or earbuds, so you have to ask yourself, what do you feel you're lacking? Why spend a penny more?

I see your point, and to be fair you're not wrong, but listening to music with the r70's was such a calming experience and knowing my self it's something I could get into. I'm taking it slow, trying to learn more and more while finding which gear is right for me. but thanks a lot for replying! unfortunately Qobuz isn't available in my country but my dad has a vinyl library and the sound is just amazing.

On 11/7/2022 at 1:50 AM, firedog said:

Likely that if you get a specialized headphone DAC and AMP for headphones it will provide better sound than your headphone jack.

Buy from a store or company that will allow you a trial and/or return if you aren't happy.

For some good relatively inexpensive options try https://www.schiit.com/products.

Some of the Chinese companies like Topping, SMSL, and Sabaj, make some  good, relatively  inexpensive solutions with DAC and amp in one box. 

Also look at iFi, Dragonfly Red or Black, or Pro-Ject.

There are lots of options. The most expensive is not necessarily the best or the best value.

As far as streaming, Amazon, Tidal, Deezer, and Qobuz have CD or better quality streams as opposed to mp3 quality. You want something with at least CD quality steaming to get the most out of  your quality phones.

I'll go back to the store i bought the r70's from and ask about there. ill mention the brands you talked about for sure!