IGNORED

Affordable DAC That Doesn't Resample High Rate DSD?

13 minutes ago, Jud said:

Wound up buying the iFi NEO Performance Edition. (Performance Edition comes with iFi’s “Purifiers” for SPDIF and USB. The SPDIF Purifier is big and has a separate wall wart - I just didn’t want to fiddle with it. I preferred the ISO Regen to the USB Purifier.)

Got in balanced cables today and running the NEO direct to amp. Really enjoying the way the system sounds, very musical and clear. Different tracks sound different, instruments sound like themselves.

One caution about a decision by iFi regarding the default configuration for the DAC: It is switchable between fixed (no volume control) and variable (analogue volume control) output. Mine was set to fixed out of the box. Since I’m running direct to the amp, I got full volume on initial hookup, and am lucky I didn’t blow out my speakers and eardrums . So if you're planning on running direct to amp, be sure you switch to variable output first. (The fact that the volume control numbers change does *not* mean the DAC is set to variable output. That’s what fooled me.)

Glad you enjoy the neo. It’s pretty satisfying to me thats giving me headache as to what to upgrade to really

On 12/12/2022 at 5:10 PM, dericchan1 said:

Glad you enjoy the neo. It’s pretty satisfying to me thats giving me headache as to what to upgrade to really

Sorry I have to eat my words from only 2 days ago. I have now upgraded to the IFI Pro IDSD (non signature version) after an offer being accepted!!!!!  So I will be looking to sell the NEO. Cheers!!!

On 12/12/2022 at 9:55 PM, Jud said:

Wound up buying the iFi NEO Performance Edition. (Performance Edition comes with iFi’s “Purifiers” for SPDIF and USB. The SPDIF Purifier is big and has a separate wall wart - I just didn’t want to fiddle with it. I preferred the ISO Regen to the USB Purifier.)

Got in balanced cables today and running the NEO direct to amp. Really enjoying the way the system sounds, very musical and clear. Different tracks sound different, instruments sound like themselves.

One caution about a decision by iFi regarding the default configuration for the DAC: It is switchable between fixed (no volume control) and variable (analogue volume control) output. Mine was set to fixed out of the box. Since I’m running direct to the amp, I got full volume on initial hookup, and am lucky I didn’t blow out my speakers and eardrums . So if you're planning on running direct to amp, be sure you switch to variable output first. (The fact that the volume control numbers change does *not* mean the DAC is set to variable output. That’s what fooled me.)

The obvious question is: how good does it sound?

What did it replace or compare to?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Hi guy, festive season ahead ... please enjoy !

Just bought a SMSL D6 DAC with 2xAK4493S & balanced output for an upcoming review on "affordable" headphone amps.
The small thing costs 180 Euros and will be paired with the brand new Schiit Magni+ and  Xduoo MT-02 head amps, they will compete against the FIIO K7 desktop amp/dac, which sports some dual THX AAA 788 HP amplifcation and the same AKM chip in a balanced configuration. Like the RME ...
Here are some "schiity" impressions from this morning ;-)
MAGNI+ Front.jpg

MAGNI+ Back.jpg

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Hi Ricardo. Season's greetings. 🙂 The short answer is in my post:

The longer answer is that "clear" and "instruments sound like themselves" is meant to denote accuracy, clarity and detail.  "Musical" means that despite the accuracy and detail, it doesn't sound cold or clinical to me. "Different tracks sound different" means I haven't been able to hear a consistent "system sound," which is a good thing. (A "system sound" is something I dislike, because any obvious consistent sound across different tracks gets boring quickly.) For the price (well under $1000 US), it seems to be a very nice unit.

Now of course all this is completely subjective, and thus not something I'd ask others to rely on. Objectively, the differences between this and my prior DAC are that this one doesn't do any upsampling to DSD (I send DSD256 or DSD512 to the DAC from software), and this has balanced outputs to take advantage of my amp's balanced inputs (and the common-mode noise rejection that comes from this).

A Pro-Ject Pre Box S2, a very nice unit at slightly over half the price of the NEO. I had no particular complaints about the Pro-Ject, in fact I liked it quite a bit, though subjectively I do like the NEO better.

Hi Jud, thank you. Season's greetings to you too.

Your reply is just what I hoped to read (your listening assessment and preference).

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)