IGNORED

Has the CA World put Pure Music in the recycle bin when I wasn't looking?

Well I'm back. I have had a bit of a holiday from audio obsessing and scouring the site for more and more information and to be frank I was having a great time listening to my system. I thought after tweaking the room acoustics and setting up all the equipment with just the right cables and ICs I would be totally happy but then I started on this site again. I feel like I'm missing something now and since my wife put a stop to me blowing my brains out on a high end analog system I need to step up the DAC and the software end of my system. I using a MAC Mini as a dedicated server with backup of course. A Wavelength Cosecant V2 that I love with a Tele NOS tube and my system is all tube CAT JL-3 Statement monos [newest and bestest ones out there] a VAC Phi 2.0 Controller Pre and a CAT SL-1 Legend, and finally Wattpuppy 8's with pure silver speaker cables that sound amazing. That part of the system I am happy with. I was thinking of upgrading to the Silver version of the Wavelength Crimson but the cost vs improvement is a little dubious. I don't know whether I'll get $10K worth of sound improvement. I am still going to end up with a table eventually but staging is everything. You married guys understand. Anyhow any software advice would be welcome.

Cheers and happy listening.

The Dubemaster

Check out the APL Dac-S, it will defiantely be an upgrade.

You can even go direct to the monos and you can sell the preamp which will make the wife even happier. Im pretty sure you wont have the urge to go for a table after this.

Im letting my table go at the moment...

The Crimson is a big improvement over your Cosecant. The Crimson with the Numerator module(ESS Sabre 32) is the unit to aim for. The Silver transformers have become very expensive and Gordon will only quote a price at the time of the order.

But a standard Crimson with the Numerator module will be a significant improvement over what you have now.

If sound staging is important to you, Pure Music is second to none, especially in the Integer version that will be forthcoming and supports this dac.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

Not side by side, but I owned the copper version for 6 months prior to the silver upgrade. The sound difference is very obvious and easy to hear. The sound is more detailed, faster, and with better resolution.

The sad thing is that the silver transformers are getting so expensive, that they may not be a practical option. I purchased mine in 2007 with a retail of $7500. I bet that the price is much higher today.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

There was a site in Europe that sold silver transformers, but they are long gone. Given the amount of wire in a transformer, silver is a better conductor than copper. But I think the silver transformers will soon be history.

Superb system. You may want to consider dCS's Debussy for USB as it soon will be upgradeable to 24/192 via async usb. I think it is an outstanding dac.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

So many choices now. Amarra, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, and Audirvana to name a few.

Thank you so much for the comments. Since I saw no recent references to PM I assumed that it was passe and was replaced. The only limitation is playing FLAC files which I seem to have acquired allot of. I will try the open source program and do more research into Amarra and the others suggested. I think I will still bite the bullet and order a Crimson Silver in the long run. I have loved the Cosecant but my decision isn't in stone. Love the CA community. I find it refreshing to see that the egos are left at the door and this truly is a valuable forum for us with this audio sickness. Cheers and be well.

The Dubemaster

they do all sound different, that's for sure.

My rankings based on SQ:

1. PM - just awesome

2. Audirvarna, integer mode is very good indeed, I would put Foobar on a Win7 platform with WASAPI here as well.

3. Decibel

4. Fidelia = Clementine

5. Amarra (just for cost, can't justify the price & buggy sw)

6. iTunes

Based on use/file management

1. Fidelia = Clementine Both take in FLAC directly

2. PM = iTunes

3. Decibel

4. Amarra just a bit clunky

5. Audirvarna, still in beta, WIP

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Yes, the Denominator (ESS Sabre 32 chip) for the Crimson is the same in the HS so that doesn't have to be changed.

I am also looking forward to the HS update. I love this dac!