IGNORED

Can people define acronyms they use, particularly ones that have multiple meanings in audiophile context?

astrotoy

Question

3 answers to this question

Larry,

Not exactly the correct answer to your question but Gordon Holt's "Sounds Like? An Audio Glossary" is still one of the better references available out there for me.

https://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/index.html

Perhaps an opportunity for Chris and the AA community to get something done for digital?

The progress that has been made in the last decade has been tremendous and a ready reckoner might be an interesting project.

Regards

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Within any occupation or discipline, there is a language subset of acronyms that takes an awkward mouthful of something like Visual Approach Slope Indicator into a Vasis. 

It was generally understood with technical writing that, with the introduction of a new acronym that it would be presented as Raise Boring Machine (RBM) followed by the bracketed abbreviation, and that abbreviation used throughout the rest of the paper. 

I suppose that within any discipline - in this case audio - people don't feel the need to use the longform of Total Harmonic Distortion (THD). 

In this case, however, I do agree with you.  In any right thinking world, a Reel to Reel (R2R) has nothing to do with the design of a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC).   

On 7/26/2022 at 9:31 AM, astrotoy said:

NOS

Yes, NOS stays for Not Over Sampling.

R2R (like ladder) is one way to realize dacs, R2R dacs use resistor arrays, while Sigma-Delta (or Delta-Sigma) dacs use chips of different choice like Sabre, Burr Brown (Texas Instruments), AKM (Asahi Kasei Microdevices).

Typically R2R (and ladder) dacs are NOS dacs as opposite of Sigma-Delta dacs that do oversample.

Here you can read about R2R, Delta-Sigma dac … and Google is you friend …

Stefano

My audio system