IGNORED

Will the qobuz android/ios/ipad os apps ever get dlna/upnp integration?

Hi. Apologies if I've missed a thread where this is answered. I'm interested to know whether the qobuz mobile/ipad apps will ever get dlna/upnp built in. I absolutely love qobuz itself but using it through mconnect is something akin to looking at a beautiful painting through a key hole. Experience is the same with volumio so I'm assuming its down to the qobuz api rather the fault of the downstream developers.

As a result I need to use roon to get access to the full qobuz menus whilst streaming at full resolution. Airplay butchers downsampling so is not a solution.  As qobuz is my only digital source, thats a pretty silly situation to end up in, whatever the wider merits of roon around dsp etc.

As much as i love qobuz (including the app) if apple were to provide a transport protocol for hires I'd switch just to get proper hires integration and teh proper features of the app. Of course if teh api were to provide parity with the app that would get the same result.

Will this ever happen?

3 hours ago, Phorize said:

Hi. Apologies if I've missed a thread where this is answered. I'm interested to know whether the qobuz mobile/ipad apps will ever get dlna/upnp built in. I absolutely love qobuz itself but using it through mconnect is something akin to looking at a beautiful painting through a key hole. Experience is the same with volumio so I'm assuming its down to the qobuz api rather the fault of the downstream developers.

As a result I need to use roon to get access to the full qobuz menus whilst streaming at full resolution. Airplay butchers downsampling so is not a solution.  As qobuz is my only digital source, thats a pretty silly situation to end up in, whatever the wider merits of roon around dsp etc.

As much as i love qobuz (including the app) if apple were to provide a transport protocol for hires I'd switch just to get proper hires integration and teh proper features of the app. Of course if teh api were to provide parity with the app that would get the same result.

Will this ever happen?

I imagine Qobuz will provide a Tidal Connect equivalent at some stage. Alternatively you could download music.

12 hours ago, Phorize said:

Roon uses the same Qobuz API. Perhaps Roon gets around the Qobuz API's shortcomings (assuming there are any) by throwing the extra processing power of the Roon Core server running on a decent computer. After all, you can't run the Roon Core server on a Raspberry Pi (like Volumio, can) or run it on an Android or iOS device (like the mconnect Player app)!

Have you tried using the free Logitech Media Server as an alternative to Roon for Qobuz support & a pretty decent (web browser based) user interface (via the Qobuz LMS plugin, the Material Skin LMS plugin and the Music & Artist Information LMS plugin)?

1599735996168.thumb.png.50ebcf682bb9edadb3f192a976ef716e.png

1599736092012.thumb.png.803bbf63e64387c459d5ad22fafd49a0.png

LMS does require a computer or NAS to run on, but doesn't have to be that powerful - a Raspberry Pi will do, Plus, unlike Roon, LMS also supports UPnP/DLNA streamers (via the UPnP/DLNA Bridge LMS plugin).

BTW, the closest you can get at the moment to support for UPnP/DLNA streamers in the Qobuz mobile app is indirectly, in the Android version of the Qobuz app (but unfortunately not the iOS version). You can use the Android share feature, to share the track(s) that you are currently observing on the Qobuz app to the BubbleUPnP UPnP/DLNA controller app (which also supports Qobuz via API) and the shared track(s) will automatically start playing on the UPnP/DLNA streamer currently being controlled by BubbleUPnP. 

image.png.0dce64feb6235245fd2701ab18f35171.png

image.png.c2b52c18204465febbcff6ccb392905d.png

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

On 3/11/2022 at 8:03 AM, Rexp said:

I imagine Qobuz will provide a Tidal Connect equivalent at some stage.

I think I'm looking for the same thing. A free way to connect Tidal and Qobuz to my network DAC (Meitner MA-3) so I can control the stream from my Windows desktop without using Roon

I downloaded the Tidal Connect app for Windows but it doesn't see my DAC over the network so I'm either doing something wrong or wrong about what Tidal can do from a desktop.

I am looking at the LMS way but hoping for something I can just download and it works without configuring with a bunch of plug ins.... yes, I'm lazy

I have also tried Mconnect from my iPad and that works so it seems there should be a desktop app that can do the same 

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

7 hours ago, bbosler said:

I think I'm looking for the same thing. A free way to connect Tidal and Qobuz to my network DAC (Meitner MA-3) so I can control the stream from my Windows desktop without using Roon

I downloaded the Tidal Connect app for Windows but it doesn't see my DAC over the network so I'm either doing something wrong or wrong about what Tidal can do from a desktop.

I am looking at the LMS way but hoping for something I can just download and it works without configuring with a bunch of plug ins.... yes, I'm lazy

I have also tried Mconnect from my iPad and that works so it seems there should be a desktop app that can do the same 

Your Network DAC has to have the Tidal Connect software installed. Not many have this so far.

20 hours ago, bbosler said:

Not really the same thing as the OP, given that you require control of your UPnP/DLNA streamer (or 'network DAC' if you really must use that simplistic view of what a streamer does - it is not just a network interface, ie, it actually decodes & plays audio files too, so 'network player DAC' would be more appropriate) from a Windows computer, so not from a mobile Android or iOS device - never mind for streaming file tracks from TIDAL as opposed to Qobuz!

BTW, there's no such thing as a 'Tidal Connect app', so presumably you are referring to the TIDAL Desktop app. Yes, the TIDAL Desktop app doesn't see just any streamer over the network because it's only designed to either provide its audio output on the computer you've installed it on or to get TIDAL's online server to supply its current playlist's tracks directly to a TIDAL Connect supporting streamer. Also, as you are looking at LMS, you should be aware that the LMS TIDAL plugin only supports TIDAL's HiFi quality audio connection at best, so is restricted by TIDAL's online server to providing CD-res 16bit/44.1kHz tracks and you won't get TIDAL's hi-res MQA tracks (which require a TIDAL Master audio quality connection) - this will apply even if you supply a TIDAL HiFi Plus account to login with.

Unfortunately, there currently is no less complicated free way of achieving what you require (the other notable one being the TIDAL Desktop app via an appropriate audio cable driver application and foobar2000 with the foo_record & foo_out_upnp fb2k plugins installed). The cheapest paid method would be Audirvana Studio - perfect if you see it as paying for (hopefully) less complications. 😀

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

1 hour ago, Cebolla said:

The cheapest paid method would be Audirvana Studio - perfect if you see it as paying for (hopefully) less complications. 

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I don't mind paying a reasonable price and < $10 a month to operate a multi-thousand $$ system is certainly more than reasonable, it is practically free. I'm amazed people will bitch about such a pittance.

However, less than perfect as one of the main features I want to use is auto-play, which Audirvana , last time I checked, does not support with Tidal or Qobuz. That is one reason I was using Roon. It has a feature called Roon Radio but it starts repeating after an hour or so playing the same 10 or so songs over and over. They are aware and say they are going to fix it but I see complaints on their forums going back 5 years so I have no reason to believe they are actually concerned about it. 

5 hours ago, bbosler said:

However, less than perfect as one of the main features I want to use is auto-play, which Audirvana , last time I checked, does not support with Tidal or Qobuz. That is one reason I was using Roon. It has a feature called Roon Radio but it starts repeating after an hour or so playing the same 10 or so songs over and over.

Ah, moving goalposts - you didn't mention that before & now you are even further away from the OP 😀. Well, if you are still ok with LMS (you haven't said if its lack of providing TIDAL's hi-res MQA tracks would be a show stopper for you), the Don't Stop The Music plugin configured with the LastMix plugin should provide you with a decent enough 'TIDAL auto-play radio' based on similar artists.

-- Jo Cox

16 hours ago, bbosler said:

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I don't mind paying a reasonable price and < $10 a month to operate a multi-thousand $$ system is certainly more than reasonable, it is practically free. I'm amazed people will bitch about such a pittance.

However, less than perfect as one of the main features I want to use is auto-play, which Audirvana , last time I checked, does not support with Tidal or Qobuz. That is one reason I was using Roon. It has a feature called Roon Radio but it starts repeating after an hour or so playing the same 10 or so songs over and over. They are aware and say they are going to fix it but I see complaints on their forums going back 5 years so I have no reason to believe they are actually concerned about it. 

Maybe a USB cable then...

4 hours ago, Rexp said:

Maybe a USB cable then...

except my computer is over here and my DAC is over there, which is the reason I got a DAC I could stream to... 

currently using the Mconnect app on my iPad so that does what I want except it would be more convenient to have a desktop program .. just seems as mature as all of this is there would be  a solution for a Windows desktop. Tidal says it is coming soon from their desktop application... 

thanks for all of the ideas

summary... looking for a desktop application that will stream Tidal and Qobuz to my network connected Meitner MA-3 DAC that utilizes the autoplay function of those programs or has a good autoplay function built in. Roon will do the streaming but the autoplay sucks. If they ever fix it I will be done. Audirvana will stream them too but won't autoplay. They say that is coming soon.