IGNORED

Article: SOtM Launches sMB-Q370 Motherboard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Appologies for being cynical - but no comparisons and another 5* review?

5* vs what exactly?

The starts is what the article is rated by anyone who wants to give the article stars. I don't control that. 

Comparing motherboards wold be huge undertaking that I wan't prepared to spend that much time on. I understand the desire for such a review though.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

15 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Yep - without it we’re clueless and the review has no meaning/insight

This is a pretty narrow view of the world. 

If the only thing you're looking for is a sonic comparison head-to-head versus another motherboard, that's ignoring many other items I mentioned in the review. That's OK, I can't please everyone. 

Have you ever needed support from ASUS? I have. I know what the experience is like. 

How do you suggest someone sets up a comparison of the sMB-Q370, using the same parts that I did, with another motherboard?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

I personally think a comparison with any other motherboard would have been fine, even your CAPs server?

I run 8086k, so could compare.

Credit to Hans Beckhuyzen - he did provide comparison, but a commercial streamer, and not a DIY product.  But still gives an idea about it’s relative performance.  Trouble was with his review that it’s the same rig you are using - just a regular ATX power supply.  What the computer audiophile peers want (that you’re the lead of) is a review that try’s this with a proper linear power supply and also the suggested SoTM clocks into the mix.  Let’s see how this thing scales!

Sorry, but I’m just very disappointed with the review.  Nobody has yet given this product the attention it deserves and it’s a missed opportunity.

(I’ve actually had good support from ASUS prior - but that’s not what I’m really interested in - sound quality is the big deal).

For a proper comparison, the only item that can be different is the motherboard. I just can't setup two identical computers, with all the cards and clocks and linear supplies like I used, and compare them. It isn't practical for A/B testing. Any other testing is just a claptrap. 

CAPS is a completely different thing than this. A comparison would make zero sense.

I completely understand that everyone wants more. More comparisons, this PSU that PSU, this RAM that RAM, etc... I have to set a limit somewhere, and let the extremely detailed discussions take place in the forum. 

59 minutes ago, botrytis said:

It has to do with the BIOS used in that and 9th generation CPU' motherboards.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/high-severity-bios-flaws-affect-numerous-intel-processors/

There are still Spectre and Meltdown flaw issues with these CPU's. Also, nothing earlier is supported by Win 11.

Ah, not a big deal in my opinion. There are always flaws found. For a home music server, not a show stopper. 

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, Exocer said:

Hi all,

I have had the pleasure of using the SOTM SMB-Q370 for the last few days. Let me cut to the chase: I am very pleasantly surprised by the improvements in resolution, soundstage size and transparency. This is without the enhancements from the clock board. I expect that the clock board will takes things to a new level and I will report on that when/if the time comes.

Going with the SOTM SMB-Q370 can be a complicated choice because we've learned several key attributes to focus on for SQ:

1. Going CPU direct is best.

2. Robust VRM is great for SQ.

• I am here to assure you that my i9 9900k glides wonderfully and without issue in the neighborhood of 4.8ghz (down slightly from 5ghz). The VRM is doing a wonderful job.
  • Do not feel negatively about the fact that you will utilize the PCH more. The SQ from this board is significantly better than the already wonderful Designare (which allowed me to go CPU direct for my JCAT USB XE, Femto NVME, and, Startech Fiber NIC).

This sounds somewhat like a sales pitch or "buyers justification", but I am simply sharing my astonishment with this board. I was a bit underwhelmed for the first 12 hours or so. I had wondered if the board was overpriced and only offered a true benefit with the clock board. Let's just say I have paid more than the price of this board for other items that have had far less impact from 20 hours and onward. I believe SOTM when they say this board was built with audio parts that sound good. I am really impressed with what they've accomplished and I have yet to poke around in the bios to disable the features I will not be using (this should result in a further SQ uptick).

I hope @MayfromSOtM can confirm if there are plans to release another board in the future with the same technology, but with support for newer CPUs. I was fortunate that I had not already moved on from the i9 9900k but most others on this forum have already done so. The i9 9900k is difficult to find new a this point, many of the CPUs on ebay have been abused by overclockers (I'm an ex-oc-er :D) so yeah, the older chipset limits the appeal quite a bit, which is a shame because this motherboard is ridiculously good and should have more widespread acclaim for what it accomplishes. I suppose its tough to answer this question now, as this could take away from sales of the current board. 

Either way... SOTM did a wonderful job here and I am keen for others to try and share if they're hearing what I am hearing! Another post will follow once I've done some tweeks/breakin.

Cheers,

-Rob

Great to read Rob!