IGNORED

Article: SOtM Launches sMB-Q370 Motherboard

Very unclear what these audio parts actually are. 

External (optional) clock input isn’t explained at all. And no connection available. This may be the most interesting feature. 

If they where to build an audiophile motherboard I would like to see several options for external power input. And at least one SFP cage. 

No W11 support. Not sure if it’s matters. 

On 12/18/2021 at 8:31 AM, firedog said:

How long will it be till a vendor comes out with an audiophile server based on this board?

Lots of people don't want to build a pc from scratch.

Like a Sonictransporter ? 

I can't wait to see this one in the wild and to start getting feedback from the Audiophile Style community as more people integrate this motherboard into their systems.

Any suggestions what this motherboard can replace ? And improve ?

I expect HQplayer isn’t where one like to use such a motherboard. 

17 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

It's gotta be a "miracle of the century" if anyone were able to design a superior Q370-based motherboard that won't cost (much?) more than that Asus WS C621E SAGE mentioned above

Those that like to try, can contact this company. Maybe it’s same as SOtM use. 
https://www.bcmcom.com/custom_motherboard_design.html#designtype
https://www.bcmcom.com/bcm_product_RX370Q.html

Well, i think If we could specify a audiophile motherboard ourselves would be better. 

A lot of separate inputs for external power supply. No graphics. KVM controlled. And of cause a nice FPGA for clocks with a nice clock, and optional external clock input. Audiophile USB. Possible USB by fiber. Dual SFP interface. No RJ45, except for KVM interface that you could totally switch off. 

I assume someone has much better ideas than me how to specify an audiophile motherboard. 

Of cause we would need a clear understanding of where to use the MB. (No HQplayer). 

3 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

I was hoping the SMB-Q370 would have included a high grade clock baked into the motherboard.  Hmm…

…..and that actually make a lot of sense. I don’t know how many various clock frequencies a MB needs, but the correct FPGA ought to accomplish the task. And you could even get a nice clock output as an option. 

Still I’m asking where such a possible audiophile MB can be used. I can only think about as an endpoint or containing your player SW. In both cases the quality of the USB out should matter. Or any ideas how to best use this MB ?

On 12/24/2021 at 2:14 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

One thing that probably makes little sense for most users, but I’d love, is an AES output on the motherboard. It would just be cool. 🙂

This is where we probably would like to use a PCI card. With optional own power supply. And clock input. 
Must exist something like this already ?

You may add i2s to the wish list as well 😀

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

CAPS is a completely different thing than this. A comparison would make zero sense.

So is there a difference?

At least it may tell us it’s possible to achieve better SQ with different and more expensive methods. 

Or maybe the difference is negligible.