IGNORED

Apple Airplay: What is it practically speaking and what value is it for streaming audio?

computerilliterate

Question

A lot of talk here about something called Apple Airplay. 

The good folks at Idagio tell me that, if a streamer has Apple Airplay, it can play in a form called "gapless." 

As you can tell, I have ZERO idea what this Apple Airplay thing is or how it affects ANYTHING. 

The Idagio people could have just as well said that eating a chicken sandwich can make your stereo sound better.  

Can someone explain ...

... what is Apple Airplay? 

... how does Apple Airplay relate to streaming? 

... does Apple Airplay degrade sound when one is set up for something called "bit perfect"?

... why would it have any effect on whether streamed audio can play "gapless"?

Maybe there's an explanation already on Audiophile Style but, searching doesn't lead me to anything but numerous entries with random references to apple airplay but no explanation.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

10 answers to this question

1. you need an Apple wireless device. Do you have one?

2. If yes, Airplay is an application to transfer your music lossless & wirelessly from your Apple device to a receiver, usually a Digital Analog Converter (DAC).

3.  It can use local files from your Apple device, or online content from the apps you have on your Apple device.

4. Apple Music or Idagio are apps available in the Apple online store to install on your Apple device.

5. If you happen to have an Android device, use Bluetooth.

1 hour ago, DuckToller said:

2. If yes, Airplay is an application to transfer your music lossless & wirelessly from your Apple device to a receiver, usually a Digital Analog Converter (DAC).

3.  It can use local files from your Apple device, or online content from the apps you have on your Apple device.

4. Apple Music or Idagio are apps available in the Apple online store to install on your Apple device.

Hello DuckToller:  Yes, I have an Ipad2017 (I think version 5???).  

So, you're saying that my wifi would send the Idagio signal in 24/192 or whatever to my Ipad and it would volley it on to my DAC?

It will do this in bit perfect transfer through that little Ipad?  Seems hard to imagine it would sound any good.

And it sounds like I'd have to find some way to wire the Ipad to my DAC through maybe a USB connection since my DAC doesn't have any kind of through the air reception ... only coax, usb, etc.

Oh well.  Back to the drawing board.

2 hours ago, DuckToller said:

Oh, and where does the streamer come in?  Does it connect by usb to my dac?  Or does my Ipad act as a streamer?

In the case outlined, your iPad is the streamer.

But you could go the route discussed in these forums more often recently (due to the usage of Apple music): add an IFI audio  Zen stream in the mix, connect your iPad using airplay to the Stream and enjoy lossless gapless music streams in 24/48 to your Dac, which has his input connected to the, iFi.

If you want to stay in the Apple universe, and enjoy higher resolution, imho, get a MAC mini as Streamer/Transport.

No need for IPAD then, other than controlling the MMini like a remote control, no need for the iFi.

Connect the Mmini to your DAC, and use your desired  applications - Apple music and Idagio - on the Mmini.

6 hours ago, computerilliterate said:

So, you're saying that my wifi would send the Idagio signal in 24/192 or whatever to my Ipad and it would volley it on to my DAC?

In tennis terms: Ace :-)

It is a simple digital packet transfer from your WiFi to the IPad, likewise a YouTube video, which you could as well cast to your TV using the IPad

On 11/11/2021 at 5:37 PM, computerilliterate said:

A lot of talk here about something called Apple Airplay

The good folks at Idagio tell me that, if a streamer has Apple Airplay, it can play in a form called "gapless." 

As you can tell, I have ZERO idea what this Apple Airplay thing is or how it affects ANYTHING. 

The Idagio people could have just as well said that eating a chicken sandwich can make your stereo sound better.  

Can someone explain ...

... what is Apple Airplay

... how does Apple Airplay relate to streaming? 

... does Apple Airplay degrade sound when one is set up for something called "bit perfect"?

... why would it have any effect on whether streamed audio can play "gapless"?

Maybe there's an explanation already on Audiophile Style but, searching doesn't lead me to anything but numerous entries with random references to apple airplay but no explanation.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

@computerilliterateIt seems that nobody answered you.

1. Apple AirPlay and AirPlay 2 are wireless protocols(digital language) for locally transmitting (between compatabile devices) music and video

2. It is a local streaming protocol.  Streaming is the act of digitally transmitting music or video over some transport system.

3. Apple Airplay is a complex proprietry system that can and does transcode media along the way.  It does not always maintain the original format.

4. Airplay does maintain gapless. 

Gapless is the ability of a transport system to not introduce extra space or dead time between individual tracks of music

Bit-perfect is the abilty of a transport system to ensure that the data exiting a system is EXACTLY the same as the data that entered the system.

AirPlay is mostly used to send data say from your iPhone to your HomePod or your Apple TV.  There are many other examples of this type of transfer.  Some system specific ones are Google Chromecast and Spotify Connect.  The idea is the the same, the implementations are different.  

There are very few stand alone DACs that have AirPlay support.  

AirPlay 2 is an enhanced version of the protocol that provides improved connectivty between devices as well as some performance enhancements.  

In general we do not use AirPlay in high end audio due to the design limitations. 

Bob.

23 hours ago, bobfa said:

@computerilliterateIt seems that nobody answered you.

1. Apple AirPlay and AirPlay 2 are wireless protocols(digital language) for locally transmitting (between compatabile devices) music and video

2. It is a local streaming protocol.  Streaming is the act of digitally transmitting music or video over some transport system.

3. Apple Airplay is a complex proprietry system that can and does transcode media along the way.  It does not always maintain the original format.

4. Airplay does maintain gapless. 

Gapless is the ability of a transport system to not introduce extra space or dead time between individual tracks of music

Bit-perfect is the abilty of a transport system to ensure that the data exiting a system is EXACTLY the same as the data that entered the system.

AirPlay is mostly used to send data say from your iPhone to your HomePod or your Apple TV.  There are many other examples of this type of transfer.  Some system specific ones are Google Chromecast and Spotify Connect.  The idea is the the same, the implementations are different.  

There are very few stand alone DACs that have AirPlay support.  

AirPlay 2 is an enhanced version of the protocol that provides improved connectivty between devices as well as some performance enhancements.  

In general we do not use AirPlay in high end audio due to the design limitations. 

Bob.

Thank you, Bob.  Can you tell me:

1) What design limitations are you speaking of?  Is the audio quality degraded in some way or is it matters of convenience?

2) Is Apple Airplay (1 or 2) easy to implement?  I was hoping to find some way to have a streamer hooked up to my DAC by usb.  Then, I'm told that if I use my ipad to control it through Airplay, I can stream Idagio losslessly.

1 hour ago, computerilliterate said:

Thank you, Bob.  Can you tell me:

1) What design limitations are you speaking of?  Is the audio quality degraded in some way or is it matters of convenience?

2) Is Apple Airplay (1 or 2) easy to implement?  I was hoping to find some way to have a streamer hooked up to my DAC by usb.  Then, I'm told that if I use my ipad to control it through Airplay, I can stream Idagio losslessly.

Apple Limits Airplay bit rates in some situations.  The downsample music to fit the transport.  EG not bit perfect.

You do not implement AirPlay Apple did it.  You have to have devices that support it.

I had noted on another thread you started that you do not need airplay if you are going to test using just your iPad as a streamer.  Using a USB cable from the iPad to your DAC you can play right from the iPad to your DAC.

I think you may need to stop thinking about Airplay and let's talk about using the hardware you have to get you to playing music.

At some point you may need personalized help with this project.  Local dealer or some consulting. 

We have to help you understand the terms, the technologies well enough to make a decision of where you want to go.

I just tested the Adagio app on my Mac and it does not support USB devices properly, it goes through the Apple sound systems and all the music is transcoded.  I do not have the time to test on Windows right now to see if the app is a problem there also.

Bob