IGNORED

Oggo´s power supply shoot-out (using the example of an Uptone EtherRegen)

2 hours ago, audiobomber said:

That does not appear to agree with the advice from @JohnSwenson?

What I said is not in conflict with what John wrote.  No leakage currents make it across the differential isolators of our A>B "moat" so even if leakage currents come into the EtherREGEN via the one in-use RJ45--or from a high-leakage SMPS--they are not going to make it across to the moat to the 'B' port (where whatever is the DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer endpoint or Ethernet-input-equipped DAC is connected).

Now I suppose that someone could be concerned about leakage-current interaction on the 'A' side--between the SMPS and the 'A' side's network feed--but I'm not sure that such would be audible.  Still, there is no harm in utilizing the Ground screw if in doubt.  

[But as mentioned, if the internally-ground-shunted UpTone-branded AC>DC adapter brick is used, it is already taking care of the earth grounding.]

On 8/10/2022 at 10:06 AM, audiobomber said:

In this system, replacing the N8 SMPS with an iPower2 provided a noticeable boost in sound quality, and grounding the iPower was audible, so I'm pretty sure that grounding an iPower that is directly powering the ER would be useful.

OK, I just fabricated and installed a copy of John Swenson's SMPS grounding adapter between my iPower 2 and my EtherREGEN.  It is definitely staying in my system.  My immediate impression playing my very favorite songs is improved clarity and definition from an inky black background.  Thanks @audiobomberand John Swenson!

WAN (direct from router - no other switches in signal path) or LAN (NAS) > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > BJC Cat 6a > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > Uptone Audio EtherRegen powered by Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 @12v with AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10 MHz External Master Clock powered by AfterDark Modernize LPS > RPi4b/Pi2AES powered by Ferrum Hypsos LPS at 24v running Volumio as end point using Spotify Desktop App or JRiver > I2S over ethernet UTP > Metrum Onyx NOS DAC w/DAC3 Upgrade Modules > balanced AES/EBU > PS Audio SGC Preamp > balanced AES/EBU > Parasound A23 > NHT Classic Towers with dual sealed NHT subwoofers using miniDSP digital xover

On 8/12/2022 at 12:26 PM, audiobomber said:

You may want to try the original power supply for the ER (no ground required). Just yesterday, I compared and found it superior to a grounded iPower X 9V, which is an upgrade over the standard iPower SMPS. Treble was cleaner with the supplied ER SMPS.

I get different results from @audiobomber.  As he correctly states, this can happen with different systems and different listener preferences.  In my system with an improved version of John Swenson's SMPS grounding adapter with my iPower 2, I clearly get improved clarity and definition, particularly in the bass frequencies versus the stock Meanwell SMPS from Uptone Audio.  I hear improved bass extension and dynamics, but this may be a result of the clarity and definition improvements, which are not subtle.  Hand-in-hand with more overall clarity and definition is improved sound stage imaging.

Here is a photo of my improved Swenson grounding adapter made using 14 gauge solid copper wire:

Swenson SMPS Ground Adapter.jpg

See my user profile for a diagram of my system.  YMMV.

WAN (direct from router - no other switches in signal path) or LAN (NAS) > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > BJC Cat 6a > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > Uptone Audio EtherRegen powered by Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 @12v with AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10 MHz External Master Clock powered by AfterDark Modernize LPS > RPi4b/Pi2AES powered by Ferrum Hypsos LPS at 24v running Volumio as end point using Spotify Desktop App or JRiver > I2S over ethernet UTP > Metrum Onyx NOS DAC w/DAC3 Upgrade Modules > balanced AES/EBU > PS Audio SGC Preamp > balanced AES/EBU > Parasound A23 > NHT Classic Towers with dual sealed NHT subwoofers using miniDSP digital xover

6 minutes ago, Qstik said:

Here is a photo of my improved Swenson grounding adapter made using 14 gauge solid copper wire:

Swenson SMPS Ground Adapter.jpg

See my user profile for a diagram of my system.  YMMV.

Nice, but a simple ground wire on the ER would achieve the same result. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

23 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Nice, but a simple ground wire on the ER would achieve the same result. 

I should have thought of that myself.  However, with my typical single-minded focus and the fact that John Swenson hadn't mentioned it, I made it more complicated than it needs to be.  The engineer in me also says I need to actually try it myself - but I can't see how it would be any different unless there is something weird inside the ER or my system with ground loops - highly unlikely.  Thanks.  

OK, I just removed my improved Swenson SMPS grounding adapter and grounded the ER directly using its ground connector.  I do not hear any difference between the two grounding approaches.

Good catch @audiobomber!  Much simpler solution.

32 minutes ago, Qstik said:

OK, I just removed my improved Swenson SMPS grounding adapter and grounded the ER directly using its ground connector.  I do not hear any difference between the two grounding approaches.

Good catch @audiobomber!  Much simpler solution.

It's good to have anyway. You can use it, if you redeploy the iPower2 to another system. I use a similar grounding arrangement with an iPower2 on a Silent Angel N8.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 12:26 PM, audiobomber said:

You may want to try the original power supply for the ER (no ground required). Just yesterday, I compared and found it superior to a grounded iPower X 9V, which is an upgrade over the standard iPower SMPS. Treble was cleaner with the supplied ER SMPS.

I also found the stock ER SMPS superior to a Zero-Zone 50w 12V LPS, contrary to @Oggo's original post in this thread. This comparison wasn't completely clean, as I had to make two changes. I had to replace the Z-Z LPS, which normally feeds a TP-Link 580D upstream of the ER, with a 12V iPower, in order to free up the Z-Z for the ER. I did not care for the Z-Z on the ER, as the sound seemed softer and lost transient snap. I attribute the different results from Oggo to two things that all audiophiles must contend with:

• Different systems
  • Different sonic preferences

As usual, YMMV, it's always best to do the testing for yourself.

I need to revise my opinion on power for the EtherREGEN. I very recently made a significant change to my system. I've been sending music to my audio system via wi-fi. I figured out a way to try wired connection. I now connect from my NAS to a Silent Angel N8, via 50 feet of CAT8 cable and LAN Isolator, to the ER. Removing the router and extender from the circuit, along with their Zero-Zone LPS power supplies, provided a clear improvement in sound quality.

This change freed up a Zero-Zone 50W LPS, which I decided to try on the ER and to my surprise, it was quite a different experience compared to my first attempt. The LPS was more dynamic, with a bigger soundstage and a more technicolor sound compared to the stock ER SMPS. I found the bass a bit loose however, so I was wasn't quite finished. Some say that a switch is best powered by a switching supply, so I redeployed the iPower X 9V from another system, and that did the trick (with grounded ER of course). The sound tightened up, became more dynamic and just sounded right compared to the similarly priced LPS.

Getting rid of the wi-fi conversions and the two linear power supplies allowed the ER power supply upgrades to show their quality.

After extended listening, I was finding the iPower X a bit hard-sounding on some digital material, so I re-shuffled my power supplies and ended up with a Zero-Zone 2020 S.S. powering the EtherREGEN. This is quite a beefy unit compared to the Zero-Zone 50W, and sounds better in every possible way. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005001725998997.html

So now my LPS lineup is:

EtherREGEN with Zero-Zone 2020 S.S.

exaSound PlayPoint with Zero-Zone 12V 3.3A

exaSound e32 Mk-II DAC with Teddy Pardo 12V 2A

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I perceive that using a iFi DC iPurifier 2 at the input of the EtherREGEN, while using the supplied standard power supply, brings about an all round improvement in my system.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

On 9/18/2022 at 4:40 PM, audiobomber said:

After extended listening, I was finding the iPower X a bit hard-sounding on some digital material, so I re-shuffled my power supplies and ended up with a Zero-Zone 2020 S.S. powering the EtherREGEN. This is quite a beefy unit compared to the Zero-Zone 50W, and sounds better in every possible way. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005001725998997.html

So now my LPS lineup is:

EtherREGEN with Zero-Zone 2020 S.S.

exaSound PlayPoint with Zero-Zone 12V 3.3A

exaSound e32 Mk-II DAC with Teddy Pardo 12V 2A

I have one of these on my router, looks the same but you choose the voltage.  It’s very impressive and wiped the floor with the iFi Power X that I did have on my router. So much less noise. 

£113.74  12% Off | GZLOZONE 2020 latest DC Audio linear power supply (smart version) 5-20V @ 4A with overpressure protection LED display
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtDIzmI

Panasonic TX-65HZ1000, Lyngdorf MP-50, MK Sound: IW300 x3, IW150 x2, IW950 x4, X10 Subwoofer x2, Nord Acoustics NC500DM MK2 3ch, Oppo UDP-203 AudioCom Signature Edition, Melco N1A, Sky, Apple TV 4K, Lumagen Video Pro, Philips Pronto TSU9600, Chord Music & Sarum Cables, SOtM sNH-10G sCLK EX x2, Plixir Elite BDC, IsoTek Sigmas Powe

• 1 month later...

This is a great thread.  The addition of an EtherREGEN transformed my system, and while it's great being fed by my iFi iPower Elite I'm very tempted to improve the power supply,

The Farad is tempting, but I'm in the UK and bringing in items from the EU is painful*

Alternatively, as anyone tried the Plixir BDC Elite with the EtherREGEN?

* - yes, Brexit has been a nightmare.  I've been in conflict with Fedex for 4 months over "unpaid" customs fees.

21 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

This is a great thread.  The addition of an EtherREGEN transformed my system, and while it's great being fed by my iFi iPower Elite I'm very tempted to improve the power supply,

The Farad is tempting, but I'm in the UK and bringing in items from the EU is painful*

* - yes, Brexit has been a nightmare.  I've been in conflict with Fedex for 4 months over "unpaid" customs fees.

The iPower Elite seems like it should be a great PSU. I'm surprised to hear so little about it on the net. Some who say a switch is better served by a switch mode supply vs. linear, and the Elite would appear to be a top notch SMPS. If you do try a linear supply, I would be very interested to hear your opinion. 

I have an iPower X, which is definitely lower tier than the Elite. I've tried with a variety of gear. I consider it to be equal in sound quality to the lower tier Zero-Zone 50W LPS. I like the X because it's compact. It's sounds great powering my MC220L FMC.

1 hour ago, audiobomber said:

The iPower Elite seems like it should be a great PSU. I'm surprised to hear so little about it on the net. Some who say a switch is better served by a switch mode supply vs. linear, and the Elite would appear to be a top notch SMPS. If you do try a linear supply, I would be very interested to hear your opinion. 

I have an iPower X, which is definitely lower tier than the Elite. I've tried with a variety of gear. I consider it to be equal in sound quality to the lower tier Zero-Zone 50W LPS. I like the X because it's compact. It's sounds great powering my MC220L FMC.

To be fair, I'm getting a great sound from it - and I do sense out there a little snobbery directed at the Elite as it's not an LPS.  Saying that, reviews of the Plixir Elite are glowing.  Also, I'm expecting an external clock soon for the ER and it too takes a 12V input, so thought the Plixir BDC Dual could feed both.

1 hour ago, GoodEnough said:

I'm in Ireland and give instructions to all senders of items to me, for some time now, not to use Fedex.  I had several different deliveries on which duty was levied and paid through Fedex on the morning of delivery, and then became the subject, in each case, of an invoice following  from Fedex demanding payment.  There does not seem to be any link up between different accounts departments in Fedex.  I was then embroiled in emails to and fro, supplying proof of payment and it just became more convoluted.  Total nightmare.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.