IGNORED

Oggo´s power supply shoot-out (using the example of an Uptone EtherRegen)

There are those who would say that a power supply should make very little difference to a network data stream. After all bits are bits and these days we have bit perfect transmission. No?

No. Because that DC actually is the data stream, at least the voltage part of it, and likely the oscillator is powered by the same supply so oscillator output timing and stability is very much going to depend on the quality of its driving voltage, so its clear that the data stream is simply modulated power supply input. The data stream generates the music that’s played…..the power supplies and all ancillary hardware are responsible for the presentation of that music….so its a lot down to power supplies when it comes to how good the music sounds. 

So now comes the interesting part…….power supplies are only part of that presentation….power cables, fuses, DC cables also play a role, as you noted. 

The next place to look for improvements are 

Quality of input mains

Anti-vibration measures such as footers, racks and platforms

Quality of ethernet cables 

Modems and router power supplies and vibration mitigation 

Farad Super3 easily outperformed the stock power supply and another LPS I had with the ER.

It has the orange fuse, Furutech inlet, and Level 2 DC cable.

When I upgraded my Uptone JS-2 to an orange fuse, the performance jumped considerably for my streamer connected to it.

So like blackmorec mentioned, there are many ancillary variables to this.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

7 hours ago, Johnnydev said:

The Farad super 3 with the orange fuse and furutech inlet and level2 copper DC cable and a audioquest monsoon powercable gives overhere a stunning result

Good choice! Go and try the AQ Hurricane HC. This will blow you away...😋

Keep in mind there's now a purple fuse that' supposed to be SO much better than the orange.... the merry go round is never ending (I'm still stuck with a sale priced black one in my Sonore LPS - which is also very good - for the oR)

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

7 hours ago, Oggo said:

Good choice! Go and try the AQ Hurricane HC. This will blow you away...😋

Yes, a good power cord can do wonders. I am plugging it into an Isotek One, which is probably overkill. 😀

Luckily, the used market is flooded with high end power cords now, so we can pick and choose.

I will have try the QSA Yellow fuse someday in the Farad and Uptone. I have it in my amp, and it is jaw dropping.

10 hours ago, skyline said:

It would be interesting if you tried different power cords with the LPS.

I did try different power cables with the Farad and ended up in ordering one Audioquest Tornado HC (for EtherRegen 1) and one Hurricane HC (for EtherRegen 2), which should arrive here in about two weeks from now. Luckily I was able to borrow some Audioquest cables from the European distributor through my local dealer for testing. Expensive but good.

Otherwise the Supra Lorad (25th jubilee silver plated edition) IMO is a good cable you can purchase for a reasonable price. Lots of clarity and holographic sound, if needed. In fact, it's not the best option, if your setup is already on the "bright side".

On 10/30/2021 at 6:02 AM, Oggo said:

I did try different power cables with the Farad and ended up in ordering one Audioquest Tornado HC (for EtherRegen 1) and one Hurricane HC (for EtherRegen 2), which should arrive here in about two weeks from now.

The ER is very sensitive to power cords. 

This thread shows how much one has to put into to get the ER running optimally.

It’s quite a bit of funds actually.

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2022 at 4:12 PM, Iving said:

Hi Oggo,

Trying to decide which Farad Super3 for eR. 9V or 12V. Some discussion around here. Would love to hear why you preferred 12V. Thank you

I had opted for 12V according to the cheaper 12V Zerozone LPS I had in use before I ordered the Farad Super3s. AND I was able to try different voltage settings with the Ferrum Hypsos. In the end, IMO it might all come down to your setup, if you will hear any major differences. 

(If you can't make up your mind, which one to choose, you might order both (9V and 12 V) and return the one you don't like. I think, restocking is possible.)

6 minutes ago, Oggo said:

I had opted for 12V according to the cheaper 12V Zerozone LPS I had in use before I ordered the Farad Super3s. AND I was able to try different voltage settings with the Ferrum Hypsos. In the end, IMO it might all come down to your setup, if you will hear any major differences. 

(If you can't make up your mind, which one to choose, you might order both (9V and 12 V) and return the one you don't like. I think, restocking is possible.)

Thanks a lot for this Oggo.

I too was using a 12V output (from a PH SR7T).

A SQ report that seems convincing to me reads, "at 12 V it was a bit more resolving, and had a slightly more dynamics. At 9V it is a bit more homogeneous and has a better tonality. Also at 9V the sound has more body."

Can you segue your own listening experiences to this report? Any SQ observations at all re. 12V vs. 9V (or any <12V)?

Thanks again

I had read the posting in the other thread too, but can't confirm. In my setup 1 the Hypsos running on 12V delivers more body, more dynamics and a wider sound stage. It's definately not much, but on the Hypsos I prefer 12V over the 9V, which Ferrum recommends as a preset for the ER. But results could be different with a Farad Super3... And as I said, different setups can lead to different results.

Otherwise, you could choose the Hypsos and finetune the voltage setting to your tasting (highly advised).

At 12V more dynamics (same as other report) and more body (opposite). Perhaps wider sound stage is related to resolving and opposite to homogeneity so consistent.

I'd love to have a Hypsos PS! Fine-tuning eR sounds like a dream. With a single output Hypsos is £1,100 against Farad Super3 at just over £400 without fuse etc upgrades. At this time I couldn't justify, but see your point entirely.

Thank you for indulging me.

• 3 weeks later...