IGNORED

I have had it with Roon, their lack of support, their user forum, and it's users...

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, bobfa said:

My journey is following along the trail blazed by @austinpop.  

• Squeezelite was a first step
  • Then a mix of AudioLinux, Euphony and more AudioLinux
  • I built several hardware systems.  I had a custom server built for me.
  • Now I am back to LMS and Squeezelite on Raspberry Pi.  (BOB IS HAPPY)

Yes, Bob, as you've experienced, music player software design and implementation does have an effect on SQ. This is what I and many others have been hoping of Roon: that they would make the SQ of their software a business and development priority. Clearly, they have other imperatives.

I've been consistent in my posts that functionally, I'm a big fan of Roon, despite the ever-growing complexity of their UI. The UX is still head and shoulders better than most other players. I still remember the day when, a few weeks after I got Roon ~5 years ago, I was able to get to OCD heaven — every album in my library was organized and had an album cover! It took some "expert" features of Roon to achieve, but it was a huge step up from the tag-based players out there, and it felt like a real milestone in my audio journey.

Ultimately, it depends on us, the consumers. Do other music players sound better on our systems? If so, the tradeoff between better SQ and worse UX is one we have to decide for ourselves. I have several friends who I've helped with their audio systems who aren't tweak-o-philes like us. For them, a slick user experience to enjoy their music far overshadows the benefit of squeezing (pun intended) out the last ounce of SQ. I still have them on Roon. Actually not quite. One of them recently opened Pandora's Box and tried Stylus (he was already on Euphony OS). Now he can't go back!

The main thing that I don't like is the implication, expressed by some on this thread, that if Roon say there is no SQ difference, then there is no SQ difference. This is AS. We decide for ourselves!

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

I have recently had an interesting experience helping a friend with his Antipodes DX2 3.1 software update.  I have never heard Roon sound so good.  His whole family was amazed.

In the case of the Antipodes server, while I personally have not experienced one, I have friends with K30 and K50 units. What they've told me is that the new 3.1 software update both enabled or refreshed other software players. They seem to be liking both MPD (yeah, old school!) and LMS/Squeezelite for SQ. It might be interesting to compare Roon on the DX2/3.1 with these other players to see what your friend thinks.