IGNORED

Word clock cables

The better the cable the less jitter. So they need to be the best and they must especially match the impedance throughout.

Usually this is 50 Ohms and I like to notice in advance that we provide only 75 Ohms (best) cables (with BNC connection).

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

13 hours ago, MetalNuts said:

I myself have used several BNC word clock cables, they really have impact on the sound (strange but true).  My best buy is an Oyaide DB-510 which performs as good as a Nordost Vahalla (if not better than).

thanks for the advice!
where did you purchase this cable ?

I found Russian Tchernov Special cables made a noticeable improvement in my system. I was using Belden cables but my Mutec MC3+USB kept losing sync with that cable in place. The Tchernov Special in comparison seems to be more transparent sounding overall with greater extension at both ends, more fine detail. The Belden was smoother and richer sounding but the sync issues drove me nuts.

• 3 weeks later...

OK. This is tread is Word clock cables. I hope it’s OK to include all clock cables. I’m only discussing 10Mhz ones. 

I was seeking advice at a producer of clock cables. 

Here is my mail. 

Seeking advice 50 ohm coax cable.

Dear sir/madam

I’m presently a happy owner of this cable. 

The use of cable is in a 10Mhz sine wave clocking signal used in digital audio. 

As an audiophile, I’m one of these people seeking best possible technical solutions. 

Based on my use and needs, what is your best (technical) recommendation for a clock cable ?

You may also advise on length.

I’m not asking for any description why a certain cable should be in favor of another, but please feel free to add any possible technical arguments. (Leave sound quality out of cause 😀). 

I believe good shielding may be beneficial, in order to keep RFI/EMI issues away. For coax cables, shielding may be a different way of thinking. 

Some of us audiophiles is using a dual shield configuration on cables, especially starquad DC cables this work very well. The shield is not in contact with any plugs, it’s made the way that it create a Faradays Cage. So only the end of the two shields is connected. (Isolation between shields).

This only for information only, and maybe some inspiration to the engineering department 😀

Andreas

======================

And here is the answer:

Hello Andreas,

Thank you for contacting Mini-Circuits.  I am glad to hear that the Mini-Circuits cable you purchased is working well for your needs, thank you!

For clock signals, generally in the audiophile community you will hear the most talk about reducing clock jitter as a possible source of audio distortion.  Shielding is generally connected to both sides’ ground, but sometimes, someone will lift one side to stop a ground loop.  However, by lifting the ground loop, the benefits of the grounding are reduced.  So the best practice (if a ground loop needs to be removed) is to use an isolating transformer.  But again, this is only if removal of a ground loop is needed.

So, generally speaking, any of our cables will work equally well for 10 MHz clock signals as they are all shielded.  The main consideration is whether you are going to be putting this cable in as a permanent install, or connecting and re-connecting it repeatedly.  If the former, then please consider one of our “interconnect” cables.  If the latter, then consider our “test” cables.

Please let me know if I can be of further help.

Thank you,

XXXXXX

Field Applications Engineer

Mini-Circuits

——————————-

So he isn’t actually answering or recommend any cable. Which may be fine.

I have never taught about cutting the shield in one end. This is interesting, as we then may cut shield in both end and add another layer of shield and create JSSG360. 

Maybe a request to Ghent Audio ?

The other thing mention is isolation transformer. I assume he means the AC. So we leave that out. 

So maybe the quality if shielding and isolator in use define the difference among cables ?

Is there any questions you think I should ask in reply to this guy ?