IGNORED

Article: Apple Music Lossless, High Resolution, and Dolby Atmos Announced

45 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes, if it's just tied to Apple Music and Sonos type products, then it isn't for many in this niche. However, it's a great thing overall that the biggest players in the market are offering it and it can only help people gain exposure to higher quality. If 0.0005 percent of people drift over to HiFi, our niche is looking really good. 

If Apple locks it into their own ecosystem then what real benefit will there be unless they increase the quality of their equipment significantly. 24/192 through a HomePod will still suck.

No electron left behind.

"Apple has confirmed to The Verge that lossless audio is exclusive to Apple Music and thus subscription-only. The company won’t offer music purchases in lossless quality, nor will there be any way to upgrade owned tracks to lossless with the paid iTunes Match service."

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/17/22440090/apple-music-lossless-audio-dolby-atmos-support-audio

No electron left behind.

10 minutes ago, ChipotleCoyote said:

I am pretty sure if Apple were supporting MQA they would be contractually obligated to use the bolded phrase Master Quality Authenticated® at least three times in every press release.

There are some labels that have slipped MQA files in to Qobuz, maybe someone with a set up that can stream lossless right now can find a 2L label album on Apple Music and see if the MQA light illuminates.

No electron left behind.

3 minutes ago, ChipotleCoyote said:

When this rolls out, I'll give it a try. (They said "coming in June," so it's all still AAC for now.)

Yeah, I noticed. I went looking for the activation stuff, and even though my phone is on the Beta its not there yet. I can find no way to get it done on a Mac, either online or in the settings of Music.

No electron left behind.

37 minutes ago, loop7 said:

I sometimes wonder if the streaming industry will eventually run out of enticements for customers.

MQA, lossless, High-res, spatial processing.

What happens then?

Hopefully they'll start competing with quality of files and user experience/ease of use...

No electron left behind.

On 5/18/2021 at 3:27 AM, katools said:

If Apple & Spotify offer a way to stream lossless content to their DACs why would they choose to pay more to access the same content via those services?

I can't use Apple Music in Roon to stream over my network to my endpoints and to my DAC. I can't purchase Hi-Res tracks from Apple like I can from Qobuz. Etc...

No electron left behind.

54 minutes ago, Mc-ornell said:

The weird thing is, in my current Apple Music settings I can choose a resolution for video playback/downloads (up to 4K/HD), so why they can’t enable lossless/high-res lossless for my current version of MacOS doesn’t make sense. I’m hoping the information Apple is currently putting out re: lossless on the Mac is incorrect. If not, I guess there will be one of the other lossless services in my future. 

Same thing. My only guess is that it wont be available until June.

No electron left behind.