IGNORED

Denafrips DACs might not actually be NOS?

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I believe whether whatever iteration of "NOS DAC" is compatible with whatever post process software such as HQPlayer is a red herring.  The question should be IS THE NOS DAC AUTHENTICALLY A NOS DAC? 

NOS DAC is well defined by enthusiasts by products that use NOS DACs such as the list provided by @semente:

But other people like NOS DACs with Redbook. People using Audio Note, Lampizator, Border Patrol, AMR, 47Labs, Zanden, etc. DACs.

And, if it differs in design, implementation, technology and, most importantly, in SOUND, then it's not classically, technically or authentic(ally) NOS.   Of course, R2R removes the possibility of using traditionally used NOS chips from TDA or AD.  So, maybe by definition NOS R2R is NOT NOS and consumer should not expect NOS R2R to sound authentically NOS.

26 minutes ago, idiot_savant said:

@etane - so do *you* think a NOS DAC should be filterless with redbook ( 44.1/16 ) material? No PC, no external OS box? And if so, why? And does this necessarily match with a DAC type ( e.g. must be R2R, sign-magnitude, a particular chip )?

your friendly neighbourhood idiot

I can't directly answer your question as I am not technically inclined.  I drank 47lab's koolaid and understood the reason why NOS dacs are the only digital source I could effortless listen to is because it lacks brick filter, O/S, PLL and such.  Whether the source hardware is PC or software is not redbook, I don't think it matters.  I think it does matter that additional processing is added to the DAC chip.  To some, it's like adding ketchup to sushi.

Just want to add, I've moved away from NOS DACs as Topping D90 offers me a sound that is very close to what I am familiar with NOS DACs, inky blacks and lack of glare.  I've put an order in on Singxer SDA6 and expect it to offer the same menu but with better results plus it has a "NOS" mode haha.

2 minutes ago, semente said:

You need to cut down on the koolaid, the additional processing results in a more accurate reproduction of the signal.

You sound like you're from ASR.  But, yes there's more than one way to skin a cat.  But, what I was driving at is how NOS is defined and that's as much as I could do with a technical definition.

• 2 months later...