IGNORED

NVMe SSD designed for audiophiles

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2021 at 8:09 PM, Exocer said:

Brief update:

First of all, thanks @ASRMichael for the tag! I totally would have missed this thread otherwise.

I am now providing external power to the Femto NVME and this has taken it to new heights. As I told @darkforce, all of my cables were built using Oyaide 2.5mm/5.5mm straight barrel DC outputs. With the location of this card in my machine, the barrel connector did not fit, nor was it the proper size. So, I went ahead and ordered a 90 degree Oyaide in 2.1/5.5m size and modified one of my cables to use it.

I thought about going with an adapter but my OCD didn't let me do so although that would have been a much easier approach.

Summary:

• There is great improvement in transparency and realness to the sound. The improvement is shockingly large. There will be no going back to the regular Optane at this point.
  • The sound is more transparent and detailed without fatigue.
  • The presentation is even more effortless
  • Noise floor has dropped to some degree
  • Timing and PRAT are fantastic and a bit more "real" sounding
  • Greater sense of being there for the performance.
  • Decay of notes, especially in some Jazz piano recordings, is so much more realistic sounding than before
  • Larger and more precise soundstage

I'll just conclude this by saying the drive was an improvement to my system across the board. Without the external power, there were no notable negatives to the sound (although the sound was a bit subdued and polite at first), and obvious improvements to vocal detail. With external power it really is something special. This bodes well for the power supply and the drive itself I suppose.

Context:

The above feedback pertains to the Femto NVME drive vs my memory of the Optane. Many of the above benefits were obtained by simply switching to the Femto NVME without dedicated power, but, to a lesser degree.  The major benefits came after adding external power.

My listening spans across multiple genres but I really enjoy Jazz pianists. My playlists usually contain a lot of live Jazz performances. Other genres also displayed improvements I did not expect. For example, I stumbled upon Madonna's "Vogue" and was gobsmacked by the soundstage. I had not listened to this song since he earlier part of my computer audiophile journey and it sounded like an entirely different song this time around, in a good way.

Cheers,

-Rob

1461189709_NVMEpower.jpg.90195b5ac5ecf94f3fa80870b9204843.jpg

Wow! Great review! Did you compare to Ramroot? 

@darkforce when will these be available for sale? 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...