IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

Q: Is there a technical exchange that would be useful to the project and would further our understanding of the principles being explored for upsampling approaches?

Excerpted from @Miska's thread on HQPro:

If PGGB uses a billion tap filter, but doesn't make your song billion samples longer, it is doing it wrong and truncating your transients, making performance much worse than with shorter filters and thus more than making point of using longer filters moot.

I've said this before, but the whole thing with those very long filters is just silly and pointless. It just screws up your time domain completely. A billion poor taps cannot beat thousand good ones.

For me, the interesting thing is to make filter as short as possible while still having as perfect frequency domain performance as possible. IOW, making filter kind of short and long simultaneously, getting as close as possible to the mathematically impossible - at the sweet spot in the middle. So reaching goals of both MQA and Chord (totally opposite), but better in both respects.

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, austinpop said:

As regards PGGB vs. MScaler, this is really something you should evaluate for yourself.

...for listeners evaluating this pathway, I will add @austinpophas always advocated for listening and making a decision specific to your system, ears, objectives...and budget. This is easy to forget.

I sometimes do not experience the same effects/outcomes Rajiv describes in his experiences, for whatever reasons.

Because Rajiv is a respected and experienced "influencer" it would be easy to just forge ahead on his path, but my path sometimes diverges. Perhaps yours does too...but that's up to you to figure out. 

I am writing this post because I find Rajiv's latest post to be an insightful and honest reminder that he (and a small cadre of maniacs) is offering experiential guidance...and not prescriptions. And that is still very, very helpful...

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png