IGNORED

Testing MQA: Is it worse than FLAC?

11 minutes ago, saturdayboy said:

Are you trying to save them from themselves?

I would never want to do that. I’m trying to save pure PCM for myself. Some people here only have access to Tidal. Tidal recently removed tons of pure PCM albums in favor of MQA versions. This leaves consumers without a choice. Pay the MQA tax or hear one’s music sound even worse. 

Not cool in my book. 

If a Tube amp company made a deal with all the record labels that listeners need tube amps, I’d be against that tube amp company. Not because of how they sound but because it removes choice for everyone. 

Similarly, if labels mandated 32/384 WAV PCM and removed all other formats for people I’d be against it. MP3 serves a purpose and I support it’s existence. 

Perhaps Bob Stuart shouldn’t have said the quiet part out loud, when he told everyone that MQA’s goal was to enable record labels to replace all other versions of music and keep the real masters locked away. Now, it’s up to the record labels to decide what we get. The streaming services have no choice but to accept what’s delivered to them. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

16 minutes ago, saturdayboy said:

Pretty respected, including here. Why would they do that, and why aren’t you calling them out for perpetuating the lie like you are MQA inc.?

13 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

Because they're a business. 

Because if customers are demanding something, then a manufacturer will do what drives more sales. 

See ps audio for example. They support mqa but also have a video where Paul explains he does not like mqa. 

Just because a manufacturer makes their products compatible with something it is not a statement of agreement with mqa's marketing claims. 

Yes.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 7 months later...
2 minutes ago, saturdayboy said:

Just pointing out that prices for hi res streaming are dropping, and MQA has done little to effect that. btw - TIDAL dropped their prices again today.

Yes, Tidal lowered prices for CD quality, but kept the mQa tax on its HiFi Plus tier. CD quality is $10 per month and mQa is $20.