IGNORED

Finisar SFP+ Modules for Audio Grade Network Switch (Group Buy for Audiophilestyle.com)

@AfterDark.

If your selling the FTLX1475D3BTL at a reasonable price, just PM me 😀

Normal shop price is just above $100.

(3 meter LC to LC OS2 9/125μm cables is only $5, so no need to add)

I have ensured 10 new of similar one in 1 GB SFP. (At £10 each). 
And there the jitter is specified in data sheet as well.  It’s seems much better than any other module. 

I attach BL and TL if anyone like to compare data. I can’t think much difference for us. 

finisar_ftlf1421p1xcl_oc-48_ir-1_stm_s-16.1_rohs_compliant_pluggable_sfp_transceiver_product_specification_0.pdf finisar_ftlf1421p1xtl_oc-48_ir-1_stm_s-16.1_rohs_compliant_pluggable_sfp_transceiver_product_specification_rev_b1.pdf

8 hours ago, AfterDark. said:

Hi! Roasty,

Thanks for your purchases. 

The sounding for Cisco is warmer. The Finisar is more balance and details. Two different sounding for different pre-amplifiers. (

Recommended depends on system

Tube Amp -> Finisar

Other Amp -> Cisco (Vocal ****)(Jazz***) / Finisar (Vocal ***)(Jazz****) (depends on music types) 

Thanks again. 

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

Adrian

Its worth mentioning that those modules have different technology applied. Right ?

The Cisco is MM and another type of laser as well. (I haven’t verified the data sheet). 
Finisar is DFB laser. 

It may very well be that that’s make the difference. 

What is this “RJ45 SFP CONVERTOR” ?  
A RJ45 module for SFP ?

4 hours ago, skatbelt said:

So no direct comparison possible with the FTLF1324P2BTL module.

I think this isn’t available anymore from Finisar. Discontinued. Correct ?
This is Fabry-Perot laser btw. Have some fun and compare jitter against this 1421 data sheets I posted. 

This SFP+ may work.

FTLX1475D3BNV

As well as this one:

FTLX1475D3BCV

Because it’s dual rate.

However since EtherRegen is NOT a 10 GB compatible device, it’s a waste.

And even if the item in the other end is 10GB, like those nice Mikrotik switches, you’re still only using a one GB line. Devices has to communicate on same rate. 

The only thing I can think about that will make worth paying the extra money (and risk), is that if it measures equally  good as  the FTLF1421P1 series, as well as the 10 GB only FTLX1475D3BTL which is offered here. 
Then you will have a future proof module that will also work in 10 GB network or application where such a technology is utilized.

It will take some effort from John to measure all this. He has an idea how. 

My advice to those that have an EtherRegen, or plan to buy one, it to stay safe and purchase SFP 1 GB muddles like the 

FTLF1421P1xCL

or

FTLF1421P1xTL
and maybe the

FTLF1421P1BTL-3G

31 minutes ago, AfterDark. said:

I shall prepare the list of switch which can use SFP+ . Some of the new switch like Buffalo GS-BS2016 for some reason can support SFP+ even it is not in the datasheet. 

That would be fantastic 🙌

But I would say, it’s enough to just test the EtherRegen with those 10 GB modules, if you have one EtherRegen available. 

Remember the only reason we even consider 10GB modules, or even higher, is the belief in that this technology has lower jitter and then possible lower phase noise.

It may be like that, and I have suggested it in another tread, that you can utilize SFP+ and 10GB modules between devices for maybe other protocols. Like clock interfaces would be great. And probably any other audio digital interface. But we’re not there yet. We don’t even know if we ever will. 

I will email Buffalo 😀

23 minutes ago, AfterDark. said:

Thanks for your research on different models. We have FTLX1475D3BNV in stock, customer may consider to change to this Finisar SFP+ to ensure it works on all devices. 

Thnk you for listening too a good advice 😄

I’m quite confident that’s a much safer choice. 

BTW, can you tell us the FMC you’re selling is a TP-link ? Maybe the MC220L ? (9V/0,6A). 

But probably more like the Planet GT-805A that is a 5V / 2 amp module. 

Can you confirm that your FMC can be powered by an LPS-1.2 ?

I think those that purchase your FMC, won’t like to use the supplied SMPS. 

Then the very simple conclusion is then:

EtherRegen, Sonore opticalModule, and probably a lot of other SFP cage devices will work with a 10GB SFP+ module inserted. Especially the FTLX1475D3BTL used in both ends. Very interesting. 

That’s the important thing for now. And no reason to cancel orders 😀

The speed doesn’t matter. But of cause it’s limited by the internal circuits. 
If the use of this module should favor the “limited” 1 GB SFP modules is another discussion. 

But I can see possible benefits. I probably upgrade my own SFP standard now to the SFP+ FTLX1475D3BTL 😀

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

No offense dearest Andreas, but I am not sure why you are having trouble grasping this since I slowly wrote it as clear as I could.

When I see questions people ask on AS, I think sometimes I can also ask the questions, that have the obvious answers for every one else. 😀

At lest we now know for 100% that if people get an idea of building a GB network, there is limitations to make items play together. So I was certain that the 10GB Mikrotik switch won’t work with EtherRegen based on your and John’s explanation. 10GB SPF+ cages won’t work. 

However I’m in doubt as the Mikrotik actually says it supports 1GB. But that may not be the case with the 10GB module directly to EtherRegen.

Well anyway the important thing is most can purchase what Adrian is offering and knowing that unless you happen to have an 10 GB SFP+ switch, you won’t have any problems. 

Maybe this Mikrotik is the perfect item to mix 1GB and 10GB network. 

EDIT. You wrote only 1GB  Mikrotik won’t work. 

FE7C5515-B069-4D89-ACD9-8BE5981B3CCF.jpeg

36 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

The next question to be asked

As well if the use of 10GB modules wouldn’t matter at all ?

Will there actually be any difference between the FTLX1475D3BTL and the FTLF1421P1BTL ?

As they both will be running at one GB speed. 

If the cost is equal, probably use the FTLX1475D3BTL. 
(There are still more £10 FTLF1421P1BCL available on eBay).

On 3/18/2021 at 11:00 PM, Superdad said:

No. If you put an SFP+ transceiver into the cage of a switch listed as having SFP+ ports and being 10Gbe, the switch is going to send 10Gbe data through that transceiver and it till not work with any 1Gbe-only device.

https://community.fs.com/blog/can-10gb-switch-port-link-to-gigabit-switch-port.html

Since probably several is having or considering one of the two very reasonable priced Mikrotik switches with 10GB interfaces I think the following will work:

Put a 1GB FTLF1421P1xxx into the 10GB cage of the switch and put the 10GB FTLX1475D3BTL into EtherRegen or the opticalModule.  Not the other way. 

The $99 CSS610_8G_2S_in is probably one of the cheapest way to obtain a 10GB FMC and in addition get a management 1GB switch. I ordered one.

Do not expected other 1GB modules necessary to work this way with the 10GB FTLX1475D3BTL. 

On 3/19/2021 at 5:25 AM, Roasty said:

So is it alright to mix single mode fiber and multi mode fiber? 

Eg from wall/media converter to sotm is single mode, and from sotm to ER is multi mode? 

This is what you’re asking ?

Type of modules not so important as the question is about mixing of MM and SM in your setup.
Well of cause the modules must support either MM or SM. 

(A 10GB module  in a 10GB switch won’t work). 

7CA2BFFA-64AE-4794-B624-8FAEACBE6FCF.thumb.jpeg.7aa29f8f5db44ac43831aa932c8ea3d0.jpeg

17 minutes ago, MasterWarzombie said:

You love to confuse people's minds. :)

No not at all. Actually I’m trying the opposite. What is the confusion with the above sketch ? Please explain. I can change it. 

(About understanding why I said all this before, please read latest 2 days posts in Optical Network Configurations tread). 

Is there anything that’s not yet clear what configuration when using the 10GB FTLX1475D3BTL that will work or won’t work with the Mikrotik switches ? Or probably any 10GB SFP+ switch ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 5:57 PM, lake_eleven said:

There is sound quality advantage?

I would say that a DBF laser (1421 & 1475 ) is technologically better than a Fabry-Perot (1321 & 1324) laser. And usually more expensive as well. 
DBF has better (lower) Relative Intensity Noise (RIN). Jitter numbers is better as well. 

If this means better SQ, I can’t say, but this is one reason I recommend DFB lasers for SFP modules. Just to be sure 😀

• 2 weeks later...