IGNORED

Unpopular opinion... I don't think Eric Clapton is very great.

9 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I can't think of a single example of a musicians output quality increasing with financial success.

1 minute ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I was talking Clapton and pop music.  I see the Coltrane reference as somewhat non sequitur to this discussion.  Noodley jazz and pop music are so not the same thing...

Really.? 

Am I the only one sober here today.?

14 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

My view on Clapton et. al. might be a little "out there": The more wealthy a musician gets, the more the quality of their output declines.  I can't think of a single example of a musicians output quality increasing with financial success.

Many examples. Eg Queen, Led Zeppelin had been in good, creative shape for a long time - at least the first 4 albums, U2 recorded good music long after making serious money.. The first ones coming to mind.

2 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I imagine "pop success" generates orders of magnitude more wealth than "jazz success".

I bet there are eg some successful pop musicians who are poorer than Miles Davis was. Also sometimes pop producers get richer than 'musicians', I guess..

8 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:
9 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Does anyone really dispute the apex of Clapton's success was the "MTV Unplugged / Riding With The King" era?  He might have started out as beloved by hippies everywhere, but he ended up a top earning pop star.

I think he might have been even more popular in the late 70's, just check out:

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/eric-clapton-mn0000187478/discography

But of course he became divine much earlier.

And richer - probably in the Unplugged era.

31 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I see the mention of Yes and thought I’d lighten the mood with a tweet that nearly made me spit out my tea. Too funny. 

Yes, I agree, Yes got old. Genesis has always been old ex definitio..;)

24 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Second, you're right. Masks don't work at all, Drs and Nurses just wear them for the hell of it...

But you wear it every time I see you! :D

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Jud said:

If you approach them as friends around the fireside playing for fun on a cold and lonely evening, I think it helps get into the proper frame of mind.

Thanks for your suggestion, I think I know what you mean but I'm afraid might have heard music at the fireside too many times to buy it on any record or to attend kind of live mass fireside gig.. Don't think this will change my attitude to GD :) 

7 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I was only being half serious...

@Samuel T Cogley What he's hiding under his avatar's mask is the fact that the other half of his face is never serious. In my case the not serious part of my face is more than 3/4, that's why I don't use my photo as an avatar - if I did - you'd see only the very top of my head, makes no sense to me ;)

• 6 months later...
6 minutes ago, Temporal_Dissident said:

Bullsh!t, strawman argument. Calling out wrongs in the world is not “cancel culture.” Blatant racism is not something to simply not “like”…it is morally wrong. And no one is “eliminating” Clapton. People are simply choosing not to listen to him as an artist. 

Yeah, I think well supported critique of everything is allowed. Here, there, and everywhere (unless you get a death sentence for it that is..).

C'mon, some critical voices here won't 'cancel' EC..

1 minute ago, Temporal_Dissident said:

Yawn. Here he is, blues blasting away on someone else’s song. A fine musician. Sure. But what exactly did he ever do to push the boundaries of anything? He stuck to one genre (blues) and didn’t really even innovate within that genre. He’s a fine player. Smooth, great tone, technical, soulful. Fine. But where is the innovation? Where is the creativity? As Garcia used to say, Being a talented player is fine, but do they have anything to SAY?

By the way, if you are looking for the real cover of this great George Harrison song (with an actually creative solo), here you go…

A fantastic version, I agree!