IGNORED

Roon 1.8 Discussion

58 minutes ago, firedog said:

6. I activated the option for my albums to show the "Qobuz" and "Library" symbols. But on several on the views - say after a search- when you press on the "more" button to see all the results, the symbols disappear.  I don't like that. I want to see which albums are mine and which are from Qobuz.

in case you havent found it yet, and this was also an option in the previous version as well, but in Focus you can use Storage Location as one of the variables and Focus only on the songs from your local storage, Qobuz, or Tidal, etc...

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Yes, I get that, but that isn't what I am talking about. The results of the search display both types of album. I want the "badges" for each type to appear, as I've requested in the album  They don't. I can't always remember whats in my collection and what's Qobuz. The badges 

Oh, I found that too, Settings > General > Browsing Preferences > Customize Album Display > and a window pops up, its in there.

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, DuckToller said:

I assumed so, but how should I know objectively that it should be there ?
I think I'll try to restart everything ...

Someplace I saw a menu to make it always visible, or to hide it, etc... If I find it again i'll let you know where I am seeing it.

edit: It's right in Settings > General > Browsing preferences

No electron left behind.

28 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

this one ?
grafik.png

does hide the "purist" sidebar ... unfortunately no enhancement ... Thanks for caring my friend !
I have noticed it is about the machine language setting of the windows machine, sounds like there will be a fix on the way ...

That's the one, I have it set to yes and on my desktop it works well, if I make the window large enough it appears, if the window is smaller, it is under the same menu button it was before.

Ah, I see.

No electron left behind.

12 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

I have Roon client on a Win PC and Roon core is offline (it's going to stay like that for the moment). How can I update only the client? Everytime I start it is asking to locate the Core and I cannot go further. 

Essentially, you can't. If you update the client and not the core, the client will not be able to communicate with the core. Alternately, if you update the core and not the client, the same thing will happen. You have to update both of them. However, once you connect the core to the client, there is a setting to update automatically or not, and you can choose which to update, and which not to update. Although, as I said, if you do only one of them you wont be able to use Roon.

No electron left behind.

• 2 weeks later...

I was experiencing all kinds of small annoyances with Roon 1.8, such as it seeing albums in my local library in one place, but not making it available in other places, such as my Library page, Similar sounding artists being credited to albums they had nothing to do with, etc...

Well, I did a clean installation of my Roon library, did NOT do a restore from backup, and all my woes are gone, for now anyway. I lost play counts and edits, but that's not a huge deal. The edits are few and the play counts are inconsequential.

No electron left behind.

19 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is a major issue with Roon. Because nothing is stored in file tags, everything is lost. I have major “edits” and it really sucks to lose this info every time Roon needs a new db. 

I agree, but I felt it was the only way to make sure I wasn't carrying any bugs forward, and at the moment, it seems to have worked.

No electron left behind.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, christos said:

Did anyone experience problems inserting AIFF files in Roon 1.8 (Build 764) on Windows10?

After upgrading, I had problems presenting (or not showing) some existing albums in my local library.

Local library is a well maintained (since 2008) iTunes Library for all PCM music and a Flat Forder with all my DSD albums, located in a Synology DS218j NAS. Total Number of tracks is ~105.000 (~7.000 albums).

I decided to start from scratch, reinstalling Roon on my NUC7i7BNH. Roon crashed when reached the first Album in AIFF.

I tried a new "clean Instalation" in my W10, i9-9900K (HQPlayer Desktop Server) - same behaviour, Roon crashing after reaching exactly the same AIFF album.

After converting AIFF album in Apple Lossless, Roon passed that point to crash in the next AIFF album.

I have almost 800 AIFF tracks, and it is a big task to convert all and still maintain their existence in iTunes Lib.

Similar experience?

Any ideas/proposals?

Have you tried removing just that album and trying again to see if Roon continues on to add the rest of the files?

No electron left behind.

• 2 months later...

This might be a crazy idea, but I think Roon should stop making a complete app for 2 different operating systems, leave the server part of the duo to Linux while making only the remote app cross platform. I may be in a minority, but in my experience Roon Server runs best on Linux.

No electron left behind.

41 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Interesting discussion on Roon. I am a Lifetime subscriber, and will say up front that the Roon UI is a thing of beauty. More than the UI, it's the UX (user experience) that is really transformative. They took something that was clunky and fiddly in the past (UPnP, LMS, etc) and made it elegant and attractive. I give them a lot of kudos for that. 

The areas where I have issues with Roon the product, and Roon the company are:

• Roon has fallen further and further behind on absolute SQ, compared to the best players out there. Granted, this may be a don't care for some fraction (whether 80%, 90% or something else) of the user base, but for those who care about ultimate SQ, it is a reality.
  • This in itself isn't as bad as the fact that Roon does not seem to acknowledge this as an issue. Attempts to bring this to their attention -- believe me, I've tried -- have fallen on deaf ears.
  • When even the most talented system builders like Emile Bok of Taiko, who tried very hard to make Roon perform at the highest SQ on the Extreme server, throw up their hands, privately declare Roon as unworkable, and invest considerable funds to develop their own solution, it just reinforces the point that Roon are unwilling to focus on SQ as a priority.
  • Which brings me to the most egregious issue I have with Roon -- their forum. There is simply no way to engage with them directly to raise issues like the above, provide evidence, etc. No, you have to post on their forum. And then endure the insults and brickbats of the peanut gallery. I have done this before, tried to encourage Roon to try their competition, and hear it for themselves. But to do this, I got all kinds of abuse on their forum. I left in disgust.

The fact of the matter is that Roon does have a complex architecture. Due to their ability to support multiple endpoints from one Core, with the ability to group them, this leads to complex synchronization concerns, which make SQ optimizations like caching and/or pre-buffering a challenge. I get that.

But these are not insurmountable problems. For example, they could explore a "high performance" mode that implements SQ optimizations as long as the user accepts that only one endpoint can be active, and grouping is disabled in this mode.

I'm not saying this is the answer, but the point is we never get to these conversations, because well before that point, the "mob" on their forum has swarmed over and smothered the request.

At this point, I've moved on. I have better options for extremely high SQ players. I still have my lifetime subscription to Roon, and I use it for noncritical listening, to discover new interesting music.

I have to agree on all points here. I have all but given up on their forum.

edit: However, In Roon's defense, I do think that an overwhelming amount of people on their forum are causing their own problems or are just very new to using technology in any manner and think Roon is the greatest thing ever.

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Anyone else noticing this strange behavior when restarting Roon? It pegs my processor at 100% while scanning the library and it takes forever. This is a new development. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 1.05.50 PM.png

Yep, every single time.

No electron left behind.

11 hours ago, firedog said:

Not happening at my house. Sorry, sounds like you have to find a system specific issue.  Windows 10 64 bit.

Well, Chris and I run the same hardware, with a different OS which is even weirder because I can't think of something that would make this a hardware issue.

My only guess is that my library has been growing quite a lot lately as I download and rip more than I was before.

No electron left behind.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, asiufy said:

There is now an option in Settings > General > Allow for more covers and photos, that will decrease the size of the album art, thus allowing for more albums per row. 

Though the choice is good, the implementation isn't. With that on, artwork is too small, and the text below too clunky, so I just use the default (larger) setting. Most apps allow folks to resize the album art at will, but alas, not Roon.

That option has been there since at least early 1.7, which is as far back as I remember it being there.

No electron left behind.