IGNORED

Best way to rip CDs to a server on network

21 hours ago, Stephen_V said:

I am looking at building a music server that does not have a cd drive. What is the recommended way to rip CDs at the highest quality and then have them programmatically moved to the music server on the same network?

I would not recommend that.  Ripping cannot be guaranteed to give perfect results all the time especially with regard to metadata/tagging.  I'd sooner check them out and, then, simply copy/move them to the NAS.  (Oh, yes, I would not store them on the server.)

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I agree with @Kal Rubinsonon the meta data.

dbpoweramp does a ‘fair job’ of metadata and actual ripping is very good. EAC is also a good ripper on its own.

For reviewing metadata MP3Tag or Tagscanner are both good programs, the former integrates with the discogs r number populate metadata.

As for storing the files on the media server has the advantage that any updates are quick to load, like Roon or Jriver. Noise mitigation  from using a large drive can be found by bonding the case, linear supplies to the drive as well as the server.

NAS for me is just too slow to access and is better off as a backup device.

Have a search on type of external CD drives to use. The older and heavier the better is a tip.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

2 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Has not been a problem for me even with my mch hi-rez files and the convenience is wonderful.

The disk spin up time, gagging on delivery to the server while copying new files put me off NAS for audio. Very reluctant to spend on another NAS and end up with the same pain.

Another issue, QNAP 419P used to a be a reliable Apple Time Machine. With subsequent changes with Apple and NAS firmware over the years, this functionality is lost. That’s what you get for being #5% in the land of OS.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

11 hours ago, One and a half said:

The disk spin up time, gagging on delivery to the server while copying new files put me off NAS for audio. Very reluctant to spend on another NAS and end up with the same pain.

Sorry to hear that but I have not experienced such issues.   IMHO, these issues are consequent and amenable to system/setup options.

11 hours ago, One and a half said:

Another issue, QNAP 419P used to a be a reliable Apple Time Machine. With subsequent changes with Apple and NAS firmware over the years, this functionality is lost. That’s what you get for being #5% in the land of OS.

I don't use Apple stuff except for iPhones. 

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile