IGNORED

Well recorded solo piano suggestions

I'm just starting to experiment with hires downloads.

I have always really loved any kind of solo piano music, but have always been somewhat annoyed by the tendency for this difficult to record instrument to result in frequently clipped and otherwise messed up recordings.

Can you point me to some particularly well engineered (and of course artistically performed) solo piano hires downloads?

thanks!

New guy here - old guy elsewhere...Mac Mini - BitPerfect - USB - Schiit Bifrost DAC - shit cable - Musical Fidelity A3.5 - home-brew speakers designed to prioritize phase and time response (Accuton ceramic dome drivers and first-order crossovers) and a very cheaply but well corrected room...old head, old ears, conventionally connected to an old brain with outdated software.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain

of music are you looking for? Keith Jarrett's solo work on ECM is generally well recorded, and HDTracks has a 24/96 download avauilable of KJ's: Paris Concert. ECM goes for a super detailed approach, with very close miking-not necessarily what one would here in concert, but I like the effect.

I have not heard it yet, but based on Ray Kimber's other recordings I trust that the recent Isomike release of Robert Silverman playing Mozart is a superb recording on SACD/CD. Just Google "Isomike" to find it. Of course, ripping the SACD layer is next to impossible...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I will check out the KJ download tonight.

No go on the SACD though...downloads only for me.

thanks,

jp

New guy here - old guy elsewhere...Mac Mini - BitPerfect - USB - Schiit Bifrost DAC - shit cable - Musical Fidelity A3.5 - home-brew speakers designed to prioritize phase and time response (Accuton ceramic dome drivers and first-order crossovers) and a very cheaply but well corrected room...old head, old ears, conventionally connected to an old brain with outdated software.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain

If your are into classical, Nojima Plays Liszt on Reference Recordings is pretty stupendous, both sonically and musically. Happy listening.

Mach2 server, Datatale external SSDs, all on battery power, Stahltek Vekian DAC,[br]Pathos InPol2 Integrated, Leedh Nazca, Magnan wire.

If your are into classical, Nojima Plays Liszt on Reference Recordings is pretty stupendous, both sonically and musically. Happy listening.

Mach2 server, Datatale external SSDs, all on battery power, Stahltek Vekian DAC,[br]Pathos InPol2 Integrated, Leedh Nazca, Magnan wire.

Too bad RR is stuck in the 1990's technologically. Not even any way to sample their wares on their so-called website.

Since I was able to sample it at Amazon, and since I can use my amazon-prime subscription to get it shipped free...I bought it there.

This is a good addition to my redbook collection...but sure wish I could find some similar HiRes downloads.

Anybody else?

thanks,

jp

Thanks Chris!

Don't know why I didn't think to search there. Still getting the feel for this new way of getting my music (got used to iTunes for years).

Canceled the Amazon order and the HDTracks Download is almost done.

thanks,

jp

Thanks Neil for the suggestion. I listened to the samples of the Chopin, and really enjoyed them.

Unfortunately, when I went to try to buy the 24/96 download, the payment processing stuff they are using is declining my U.S. based debit cards (both of them on different banks).

Hard to imagine a company could stay in business if they fail on something as important and central to the business as accepting payments.

arghh,

jp

(anybody know of a different download site that has hires downloads of this artist?)

Hi Jeff

I looked at Linn's T's&C's and in the Payment section I found this:-

"You can pay by any of the following credit or debit cards; Visa, MasterCard, Maestro, JCB, Transax and Solo."

Are any of these common in The US?

I have a similar problem here in Europe in that I cannot purchase from HDTracks in the US, but this is because of licensing issues rather than payment issues. Hopefully one day HD will sort out the licensing issues.

Some of the stuff on the Linn site is really good; any chance you can set up to transact with one of their accepted payment formats?

Regards,

Neil.

EDIT: Turns out both of my banks were paranoid about a charge to a non-US website. They were both "saving" from internet fraud by keeping me from getting my hands on this download.

After a call to one of the banks I'm now able to order things from Linn.

It may well be your card company. I have been buying stuff, using US Bank cards, that clearly looks like I might be using my card in Europe (from Linn Records for example) and the bank security systems kicked in and transactions were declined until I spoke to them and notations about usage or overseas purchases were added to my account.

Many of Angela Hewitt's recordings on Hyperion are available as flac downloads. CD quality, not higher, but her most recent Bach Well-tempered Clavier recording is outstanding musically, excellent sound and a chance to here something other than a Steinway, she plays a Fazioli piano.

Lots of other stuff on Hyperion too. Check out Passionato.com as well for a huge range of classical music.

Beethoven op. 111 & Berg op. 1 by Aspaas on 2L label. You can download the 1st movement of op. 111 for free from the 2L website if you hunt for the web page for testing download formats. (Cannot link directly to the free download page because they use server-side scripting for navigation.)

Bach Goldberg Variations by Andras Schiff on ECM label.

Prokofiev piano con #2 by Bronfman, Gilbert, NY Phil. On NYP's own label, but sold by HDtracks.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Many of Angela Hewitt's recordings on Hyperion are available as flac downloads. CD quality, not higher, but her most recent Bach Well-tempered Clavier recording is outstanding musically, excellent sound and a chance to here something other than a Steinway, she plays a Fazioli piano.

+1 (or even +2) on this recording! I bought this CD at a recent concert, and have listened to it many times already. And Ms Hewitt signed it for me - you don't get that with a download (digital signatures just aren't the same thing)

Max