IGNORED

Age and Quality of Good Speakers

New to the forum so forgive me if something like this has been asked and answered a million times.

I’m looking at getting a pair of floor standing  speakers.  They are going to be the basis for a 2.1 system that will be about 50/50 movies and music, including vinyl (so pretty much everything).

I’m looking to spend about $800 or less.  I’m open to new or used speakers.  I’ve seen a lot of used speakers that originally retailed for a lot more selling in my price range.  My question is it better to be these used speakers or new ones that are selling in my price range?

Now I obviously know that the condition of the used ones are important.  But what is the quality difference?  Better or worse when comparing 15-20 year old speakers to current models?

For example, for $500 I can get a pair of Dynaudio Audience 72SE that retailed for $3200 12 years ago.  I also found a pair of store returned Elac UF51 for $700.  Which is the better deal?  Is one speaker a lot better sounding than the other?

Thanks!!

IMO, I would be looking for something used in the price range given, especially since you are wanting a tower speaker.

These days finding something new in the price range given is a tall order, again especially when dealing with a tower style speaker. The reality is that a used bookshelf/monitor speaker would probably offer more bang for your buck at this price point but there are options out there if you look long enough.

I've never heard any of the speakers you mentioned but going strictly off of name brand the Dynaudio is likely a far better bet of satisfaction between the two choices listed.

But with that said and if I were you I might be more satisfied with these guys linked below. There are plenty of positive reviews to be found around the web on them and they fit your price point. I have no idea who is selling them but its just one option I see out there now that fits your requirements. Maybe take a look into it.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa7ha4-psb-imagine-t-full-range

Linn Kabers/Keilidhs or even Ninkas can be had in that price range...but I am partial.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

What type of sound do you like from your speaker? That will determine which way you can go.

A set of used KEF LS50 with a sub would go a little higher but the sound quality would be there,

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On 1/14/2021 at 9:38 PM, botrytis said:

What type of sound do you like from your speaker? That will determine which way you can go.

A set of used KEF LS50 with a sub would go a little higher but the sound quality would be there,

Funny you mentioned KEF LS50.  I actually just bought a pair of the new LS50 Wireless II that sell for $2500.  The guy was moving and sold them to me for $1200.  And since I don’t need a receiver to run these, I was able to go over me set speaker budget.

That works 👍

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects