IGNORED

Schiit Yggdrasil (Unison USB) vs T+A DAC 8 DSD - mini review

4 minutes ago, matthias said:

How do ECD compare to Schiit and T+A regarding slam, PRaT and drive?

Thanks

Matt

They are voiced quite differently - Schitt and T+A are closer in their sound signature than what the ECD is.

The ECD DAC sounds like it's frequency response has been shifted up, again probably due to it's lack of traditional output stage.  Bass is present, tight and detailed... but lacking weight to it (hence my stand mount comment).  If you want slam, PRaT and drive stick with Schitt or T+A.

Sorry, should have read more closely.

There is a possibility the AGD input impedance is also quite low, being zero feedback and all.

Though I would sooner associate this kind of bass character with the DAC power supply or DAC itself.

Any active pre should supplement the lack of active output stage, this is all an output stage is in the end, an amplifier and/or buffer, except inside the DAC rather than at the other end of the interconnects.

48 minutes ago, numlog said:

Sorry, should have read more closely.

There is a possibility the AGD input impedance is also quite low, being zero feedback and all.

Though I would sooner associate this kind of bass character with the DAC power supply or DAC itself.

Any active pre should supplement the lack of active output stage, this is all an output stage is in the end, an amplifier and/or buffer, except inside the DAC rather than at the other end of the interconnects.

Agreed

• 3 months later...

TT2 is the best DAC I’ve owned (to date!) the qutest is pretty close if you optimise it (I will write about these optimisations at some point  - running the qutest stock is not that amazing to be honest), but the TT2 just has bags more detail (significantly more than T+A and HQPlayer combo IMO) and the preamp section is amazing.  Other than using a passive pre, I think the benefits of the TT2 would be lost through any other preamp as the detail would just get smoothed over.

You have to have a very good system for the TT2 to shine (let the detail come through), otherwise an optimised qutest would be better.

How do you power the TT2? Stock PSU? Probably not, or? Sounds interesting. Surprising though. It seems that you would prefer the TT2 to the DAVE. Ups, sorry for going OT ...

Apple Powerbook G4 15\", iTunes, Metric Halo LIO-8, active speakers

Stock PSU - TT2 doesn’t really need the tweaks that the qutest benefits from.

I’ve had a DAVE in my system before and couldn’t get it to sing.  However got one with Sean Jacobs DC4 psu coming for a one day demo shortly.  Now that I have learnt the tricks from maximising the qutest, it will be interesting to see how it performs.  (I am biased though, I’m still expecting the TT2 to be my favourite!)… we’ll see.

8 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

I have one final piece to add to this topic.  I reported that I had noticeable transformer hum off my unit, which put me off, others have not experienced this issue.

I come back to it now, because I had another new piece of hifi equipment in my set up which displayed the same thing.  In this case the manufacturer replaced the unit and then the hum was gone.  It was blamed on poor quality control on the transformer windings and glues used (probably not helped by rough transportation).

So anyway, I believe that's the problem I had with the Yggy - would likely have been resolved by requesting a replacement unit and it was most likely a manufacturing defect.

Thanks for the update.

No electron left behind.