IGNORED

Purifi Class D

Have read that the stock input buffer is a weak link, on the VTV and other builders like Nord or Apollon, which offer several upgrade options.  Additionally, the VTV is value oriented versus some of the other builders that have spent more efforts on layout, wiring choices, parts upgrades, and power supply enhancements.  

This one even uses what appears to be LPS (3 toroids) to drive input and output of amp, if I understand this correctly ($10K, hardly a bargain):  

https://www.stereophile.com/content/lkv-veros-pwr-power-amplifier

Run Aerial 10Ts, which are power/current hungry beast, and sent a note to Purifi to see if they intended to produce a double power amp, like 400 watts into 8 ohms, which had been rumored.  Response was no, just a rumor.  Bridged monos, they said wouldn't help with these speakers, as power goes up but current capabilities wouldn't increase in that configuration.  Sticking with the McCormack DNA-500, even checked on SMc upgrades described here in CA, though $5K cost, which is more than I paid for the amp.

Tone with Soul

1 hour ago, RickyV said:

I wondering about transformer based class-d amps. So not only for the input stages but also for power. Is somebody doing that? 600va transformer, rectifier and big capacitance. 

And the question would be if that would be better then the smps?

That's what the LKV one I linked above utilizes, the reviewer was smitten.  Can't be a big magazine advertiser based upon the size of the company.  Here is what the pointed out on its site:

Transformers: Three separate toroidal power transformers are employed in the PWR+: (a) One large 1KV transformer weighing over 12 pounds supplies high current for the Class D output stage. (b) A second serves as a floating, +15 volt supply for the driver circuitry in the Purifi module. (c) A third feeds the power supply for the LKV Class A input/gain/driver stages.

High Current Supply: This power supply employs almost 40KuF of capacitance and is specifically designed to meet the demands imposed by Class D amplification circuits. Most importantly, it copes quite effectively with “power pumping,” a problem unique to Class D amps.

Line Level Supply: To assure the very accurate, low noise/distortion performance for which the LKV Class A circuits are known, each power rail in this supply has two stages of power regulation, a capacitance multiplier, and 40KuF of capacitance.

Tone with Soul

17 hours ago, GUTB said:

I thought the LKV was a custom GaNFET design. Is it a Purifi? I put the VTV back in, currently playing CDs.

"LKV Research founder Bill Hutchins uses Purifi Audio's 1ET400A class-D power amplifier modules" clipped from review.

Tone with Soul

• 2 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 3:14 PM, Matias said:

I am just waiting for Bruno to finish his new more powerful Purifi modules.

A few months back, contacted Purifi and they stated that they had no immediate plans for a release of more powerful modules.

Has that changed?

Tone with Soul

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Who is producing high powered/high current Purifi amps?  

Have read that they require separate power supplies to deliver specified output/current.  

Also read that Hypex has/will introduce an updated high power/current amp board that may outperform the Purifi version.  Anyone heard or seen one of these units?

Tone with Soul

Who knows what all the promotional language (what my real estate financier friend calls NYC developer speak, versus lies and misleading statements) means.  Not sure which prior amps and power supplies are being compared to the new units.

Was trying to find third party data on these new products, and this is what's out there, so far.   There is some chatter that the Hypex NCOREx "leapfrogs" (whatever that means) the new high powered Purifi amps...

Watching these developments for a high current version as my DNA-500 is nearing 20 years in service and I need that kind of power to light up my beloved Aerial 10Ts, which still sound pretty fine. 

Tone with Soul

Over at ASR (the test/no listen crowd) they tested the various NAD amps and found them noisier than other implementations of Purifi amps, but with an enhanced power supply that generates more output than Purifi/Hypex combinations.  

Purifi announced a while back that they were developing their own power supply(s), but do not believe they are yet available.  

Guessing that all this Class D new product has been greatly slowed down by the mess in China over COVID and supply chain issues.

Tone with Soul

• 2 months later...