IGNORED

How do headphones tackle the required low frequency wave length requirement?

MetalNuts

Question

It is undisputed fact that lower frequency has a longer wave length and the room should ideally have sufficient length for the low frequency to sound what it should sound like. 

However, how do the headphone tackle it, the length between the headphone and the ears are far less than the speaker placement from the ears, yet it can produce to certain extent satisfactory low wave sound?

MetalNuts

5 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

Headphones work well with bass because the space between the phone and ear is so small that there can be no bass resonances.

As well as which, headphones can have a much wider bandwidth, with a much lower LF cut off than most typical speakers.

My own ATH M70 are specified as from 5Hz to 40kHz (no limits specified at the top end) and they are far from the best available.  

ATH M70x.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Another aspect of getting good believable bass is "feeling" the bass, which headphones can do to some extent, but not in a "hit you in the chest". I've had really good results with a Subpac that attaches to my chair and delivers very low bass that you actually feel (there's also a backpack model for portable use). This really gives that added dimension of realism in the bass. This was originally designed for recording engineers who need to truly evaluate their recordings... 

https://subpac.com/