IGNORED

Allo USBridge won't boot after IP address change

Alan Cae Mawr

Question

Because I want to add another DietPi-based streamer to my Roon system, I decided to change the hostname of the Sparky SBC that drives my @allo.com USBridge: that was fine. I then attempted to change to a fixed IP address using the DietPi interface: that was a disaster. For a while after connectin the power cable no lights showed on the ethernet port, but then after a while they did, but the device still does not show on the router. The USBridge will no longer boot up. Thinking that the DietPi image needed to be re-flashed I looked inside the box and discovered that there was no SD card installed, but an eMMC card was.

QUESTION -- If I prise off  the eMMC card and re-flash it, or replace it with a micro-SD card, is this likely to solve my problem, or is the device truly dead? (I had to pull the power cable to shut it down, which is never a good thing.)

I would also appear that the Sparky SBC is no longer available. Can it be replaced with a Raspberry Pi 3, if the Sparky really is dead? Thanks.

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Alan Cae Mawr said:

Because I want to add another DietPi-based streamer to my Roon system, I decided to change the hostname of the Sparky SBC that drives my @allo.com USBridge: that was fine. I then attempted to change to a fixed IP address using the DietPi interface: that was a disaster. For a while after connectin the power cable no lights showed on the ethernet port, but then after a while they did, but the device still does not show on the router. The USBridge will no longer boot up. Thinking that the DietPi image needed to be re-flashed I looked inside the box and discovered that there was no SD card installed, but an eMMC card was.

QUESTION -- If I prise off  the eMMC card and re-flash it, or replace it with a micro-SD card, is this likely to solve my problem, or is the device truly dead? (I had to pull the power cable to shut it down, which is never a good thing.)

I would also appear that the Sparky SBC is no longer available. Can it be replaced with a Raspberry Pi 3, if the Sparky really is dead? Thanks.

The emmc card is the default boot device, don't void your warranty. Its been a while but I believe you can use all the dietpi options if you attach

a keyboard and monitor, passwords may be changed to Allo's defaults. The Allo GUI just sits on top of dietpi so putting IP address from dietpi

back to DHCP should make the device network accessible again using the Allo GUI

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

The eMMC card is easily removed from the board so, as I could not boot from the eMMC card, I first tried booting from a micro SD card. This did not work, even with the eMMC card detached. It looks like the eMMC is indeed the default boot device, but even when not found the SD card was not used to boot. Then I looked to buy an adaptor to re-flash the eMMC card, but it seems that there are no longer any available in the UK. I have ordered one from the USA at $3.99 (plus $9.99 postage), so we'll see if  that works -- there are apparently some concerns about compatibility. Of course, I could get an adaptor, plus a spare eMMC card, direct from Allo -- for a mere 61 Euros plus shipping!!, which is outrageous. If I can't re-flash the eMMC card using the US adaptor, it seems I will probably be left with a completely useless system, especially as neither the Sparky board or the original USBridge board are in production any more. Not at all happy.

Hi Alan

You can re-flash the OS on micro SD card . if Micoro SD card with dietpi OS is present then first boot device is Micro SD card.

(I have forwarded one PM to you 2days back. Please check PM, so other support engineers also will see your messages and reply fast)

dietpi OS available on below Link. extract the downloaded 7zip file and use https://www.balena.io/etcher/

https://dietpi.com/downloads/images/DietPi_SparkySBC-ARMv7-Stretch_AlloGUI.7z

https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2317&p=8869#p8869

Allo.com Tech. Support