IGNORED

What has produced the greatest sound improvement for you?

In your audio system, what has produced the greatest improvement impacting on sound quality or better musical experience? Not just 'maybe a bit different' but in your opinion clearly better.

It could be software, hardware, room treatments, tweaks whatever. What single thing or things stands out that you would definitely recommend to others?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

16 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Each element (name it) improves vastly (and not just different). But the most surprising is the PC. Of course I know this for years, but today I may regard the PC more important than the DAC.

Peter

Hi Peter, you obviously produce an audio computer and there has been a lot of interest lately with the new CAPS server as well as the Taiko Extreme. Without giving away proprietary secrets is there something more specific about what part of the PC is so important?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

13 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

David - thanks. This is nothing much about proprietary matters. For me this is about an overkill of "capacity" (contrary to CAPS like machines), combined with the ultra-fastness of the PSU elements, that in itself combined with the fact that it should not be a switching PSU (which are inherently ultra-fast - just saying). Next up, and this is about the real finesse, it is about a super stable current usage (think shunt-like). If you now compare with the contenders (or with Taiko, or with CAPS-like), you can see differences all over the place. Think in the realm of 40 cores, weighing 14Kg/31lbs only (including linear PSU, including cooling and dead silent, not even water cooled).

I did not want to make this a commercial / self-advertisement. I only can't put enough emphasis on the importance of the PC (playback machine).

Thanks Peter.

As far as I am concerned as OP, and I hope @The Computer Audiophile will agree/permit, you can plug your products as much as you like. My interest is in finding out what things make an improvement and why. To the extent that you're willing to share that information, I say let's do it. That applies to any other manufacturer by the way.

As you know I am not from a technical background but I don't think anyone would disagree with the concept of having a linear power supply for a PC, your emphasis seems to be on speed/capacity. The other thing I'm taking away is stable current usage and the need for multiple cores.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

14 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

--Dedicated AC power line.

--Room treatments.

--Dual subs.

Other elements do/did improve sound quality for sure, but the items above were very big gains, and on this forum, most probably already have a system "dialed-in."

I think the uninterrupted "home-run" from the panel to the audio area would be a benefit to anyone. And perhaps clean power supplies should be included to make a generic statement: improve power.

I feel strongly others would also benefit from room treatment/management, but if you have a less than optimum space, it is worth serious consideration.

My room is oddly shaped, with a low ceiling. When I brought speakers home to try I was floored by how much worse they sounded  than in the shop. Who stole my bass?

So, I read around various product sites and tutorials on room treatments and sound management, and incrementally added things, listened, and added things. 

I am fortunate that I can design and build things myself, when desired, so it allows a lot of freedom in customization. 

For some inexplicable reason, Sweetie has let me run absolutely wild building the system and the room. Makes no sense at all.

1E03C3FB-9132-46C7-86EF-EA4A94E219DF.jpeg

I have gone for the first two on your list, definitely. I also think Sweetie gave her/his approval very wisely for the Revel speakers. In my humble opinion they are giantkillers. (I sure hope I identified the correct speakers but they sure do look like Revel salon 2 which I have listened to for many many hours).

Sound Minds Mind Sound

11 hours ago, jcbenten said:

More watts...I went from 66 watts/ch to 200 watts/ch by adding the Linn 2250 and this is far and away the biggest improvement in my system; over multiple DACS, CD players, and streaming methods from my NAS to the system.

I think it depends on what watts 🙂

Was the overall quality of the two amplifiers different apart from just the power rating? I would expect for example, comparing oranges with oranges, more watts will be beneficial if you have a difficult load. If you are a fan of class a then it also might mean how long the amplifier stays in class a

Sound Minds Mind Sound

15 minutes ago, Summit said:
  1. Setting up the audio system correct in good listing room trumps everything else IMO. Many try to squeeze in too big speakers in a small room or worse sit too close to some walls which result in massive amount of reflections.
  2. Fix bad mains power is paramount, because just like the course is never going to tests good if you start with bad raw materials, no audio system will sound good with bad mains power, leaking currents etc.
  3. Get better source i.e. sever, transport etc
  4. Get good anti-vibration racks, footers and room treatments.
  5. Now if you have done 1-4 it’s perhaps it’s time to start upgrade the other audio gear in your system.  

I couldn't agree more. One of the biggest things for me was treating the room with bass traps large enough to be bass traps and then playing with reflection and diffusion, speaker setup et cetera.

I've never been a fan of any DSP thus far and that includes digital room correction. I hear different but is not right to my ear (thus far). With regards DRC I realise that I am now probably a dinosaur in my opinion but I swear I can hear the direct sound from the speakers and not just some kind of summation or psychoacoustic effect of the sound waves interacting at my listening position. I hear the direct sound first and I don't like the alteration from DRC whether it be minimum phase or mixed phase or the next phase generation. I put a lot of effort into getting that direct sound and to mess with it basically messes with my head. The analogy here would be sitting in a reasonably intimate live venue listening to amplified sound. If I'm close enough to the artists I get a mixture of live and amplified sound, natural and artificial sound. It's part of what makes live performances still so attractive to me, there is still a realness to the sound which is hard to reproduce.

Sound Minds Mind Sound