IGNORED

Misleading Measurements

9 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

This may be a good start, as a summary:

http://www.aes-media.org/sections/pnw/ppt/other/limitsofhearing.ppt

I followed the ASR attempt to establish agreed upon thresholds for a while, and it seems like it petered out. My sense of why that happened is that we can mean “audibility threshold” in two different senses: what humans physiologically can detect and what research has established listeners hear in audio reproduction. For example, the audibility threshold of distortion was stricter in the initial ASR threshold attempt than in Archimago’s recent experiment. So, over at ASR there seemed to be a mix of physiology, AES-type research, and random assertions used to support the “lenient” and “strict” thresholds. 

Some of the results, such as a “strict” linearity of 120 seemed far beyond realistic audibility IMHO. At the same time, I kind of think IMD is more audible than that ASR post suggested. However, it definitely seems like there’s a lack of good research on some topics.

Then, of course, we’d get into issues of age and hearing and trainer versus untrained listeners.

Ultimately, this uncertainty and complexity is why I think a lot of people default to the “moar is better” approach. But I think a “these DACs all clear the bar of flat FR, linearity to 90 dBfs etc., so I’m going to listen to them and see if I notice any differences and which I like better” is more advisable. 

• 3 months later...
On 9/22/2020 at 3:01 PM, Blake said:

Speaking of the topic of this thread, I'm not sure if this has been posted about and discussed here on AS, but I found it to be an interesting read as I have always had some suspicions about ASR:

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/audio-science-review-review.9827/

IMO this is a pretty devastating critique. 

46 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

It's the case of caveat emptor:  do your own homework. Anyone who blindly buys into what is said on ASR or AS or SBAF, Facebook, Twitter, or whatever, is likely to be making a mistake. Do you really think the guys at SBAF have no favorites and are completely unbiased? Or reviews or recommendations posted here, on AS? ASR is just another web forum.

I do think Amir had a very unique set of biases and a very large ego. And, in my experience, AS, SBAF, GearSlutz, etc. all tend to allow a wider array of viewpoints than ASR does.