IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

30 minutes ago, Encore said:

Exactly--I won't even bother to ask. When you buy from Abbas, you buy into his approach, which is decidedly--you might even say proudly--esoteric and personal. 

Well, I emailed him yesterday. Even asked if he could make a version where I power it myself. 
I like to try this product. If several is interested, we may get some sort of group buy at a better price 😀

20 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Tubes can have very different noise spectrum than solid state devices, hence the phase noise spectrum of a tube based oscillator can be quite different than from a solid state oscillator.

Thanks John, and happy new year. 

Can we still measure phase noise in the same way, and have given numbers at 1 and 10 Hz, as with solid state?

Meaning can one compare them by equal measurement methods ?

On 1/1/2022 at 2:41 AM, Encore said:

He said 20-30 years, but I'm not sure whether that holds for 24/7 operation. Time will show.

Hm, well maybe a tube isn’t just a tube. Maybe there is many ways to use them. I noticed they arrive in many different sizes, but I have no idea why. I just been watching Paul’s videos about tubes. Interesting subject. 

However he states they just last a year. 

Do we need a thread about tubes ?

I don’t expect Uptone to start with tubes 😀

(Well, probably the only component the world won’t lack these days). 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/4/2022 at 3:36 AM, Mike Rubin said:

Will I still get benefits from an AfterDark clock if I have this configuration?

Against what others may say, I will say no. (Or very little). 

Add a opticalModule between and run A>B, then a clock surprisingly works better. 

On 3/11/2022 at 6:44 AM, Jeremy Anderson said:

I'm curious if anyone has any experience splitting a single 50 Ohm clock output (e.g. an AfterDark. Project ClayX...) and sending one leg to a 50 Ohm receiver (e.g., a DAC with a 50 Ohm clock such as the Gustard x26 Pro) and the other leg to a 75 Ohm receiver (e.g. the EtherREGEN)?

I have. Works. Use 50 ohm cables.
Now I’ve upgraded to 50 ohm only. And received my second clock today. 

On 3/11/2022 at 6:47 PM, Jeremy Anderson said:

EDIT: Adrian just answered a PM of mine asking about the splitter and he said 'the performance for Giesemann clock is better not using that splitter, it degrades the sound quite a lot' so that is less than fortunate news. Hmm.

Look at this as he likes to sell you another clock 😂

Buy the Eva, (and splitter), and test it out. 

On 3/17/2022 at 12:51 AM, Mike Rubin said:

That hasn't been my experience, Andreas.  To my ears, in the week or so that I have had the clock, there has been a very large difference with it in the system. 

So you tested with clock and A>B plus opticalModule vs clock and B>A, and the latter sounds better. 
Thanks. God to know people getting different results depending on the quality of the clock. 

I suspect the Eva is so good, that at overcomes the degradation of phase noise done by the moat. 

I have a new clock with -118 -143 here. Will test during Easter. Maybe I will come to same conclusion as you.

The present clock is a King. Don’t remember phase noise numbers. Think they where -113 -139.  

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, Mihaylov said:

Sorry, but I don't know the origin of the oscillators that AD uses in its products. Luckily I am able to order the best new oscillators from Morion at an affordable price. 😀

Search my posts. There should even be links to exact same board on AliExpress or eBay that cost “nothing”. 
Again, better purchase same board from Adrian and get the phase numbers verified. Only talking about sine wave, without any modifications. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Mihaylov said:

Neutron Star 3 does not have OCXO installed.

One could ask the guy's intentions. Or he is just a person that doesn’t know better. Reminds of a certain other guy that is showing of his measurements and screws things up. 

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Superdad said:

One of the very best quotes we received was a German oscillator manufacturer. It was for an OCXO guaranteed to -114dBC/Hz at 1Hz, -145dBc/Hz at 10Hz.  VERY respectable performance.  The cost? $365 per piece if we order 100 pieces; dropping to $325

Well, you could make a $1500-1800 Etheregen with that one ? 
You don’t need 4 of RJ45 on A side to save space, and instead of external clock in, you offer one 50 ohm sine out. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2023 at 10:05 AM, TomJ said:

Unfortunately I can't find anything in the net where the jitter value of Ethernet was measured except my own measurements. If now the jitter value is not improved at all - and with the realization by my measurements I am not alone (e.g. also Ed Meitner), the question is nevertheless where sound improvements come from.

Mayby you find something here:

https://audiophilestyle.com/search/?&q=Phase noise&quick=1&author=JohnSwenson&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

https://blog.bliley.com/ultimate-guide-to-phase-noise

On 1/20/2023 at 3:47 AM, Superdad said:

Tomorrow I will post a couple of photos of current EtherREGEN Gen2 development progress and a detailed update on the status.

I’m waiting for the update. I’m hoping for a version with that OCXO and 10 MHz output sine 50 ohm.

(And no SFP B side 😥). Price between 9 and $1200 if with an built in OCXO

15 hours ago, Superdad said:

By the way, the expensive ultra-low-jitter sine>square wave converter chip that we are adding for the first time to EtherREGEN Gen2's external clock input will do a lot to help people realize more benefit from external reference clocks

Dam, will have to wait for generation 3, in order to get that built in OCXO 😀

Or never. Really looking forward to implement the ERG2 into my system. I have huge expectations. 

Will be interesting to se how the 50 ohm vs 75 ohm will be solved.