IGNORED

Building a high performance compute server for HQPlayer

I believe @Miska already commented about this before but when selecting a board and memory (X570) for HQP is the memory speed and board memory speed important? I think I remember it was very important, I am building a 3800x, I know not the best, but selecting the board I am split between Asus and Gigabyte and found that MSI allegedly have the fastest memory support

"For DDR4 OC support? MSi all the way, they have on they QVL sheet 4000mhz on 4 slots even for low mobo! They achieved 4666mhz on 2 slots too and in one test they has 5200mhz DDR4 with micron e live stream :D So if DDR4 speed matters to you MSI all the way."

So if it is that important maybe I would go MSI, just need confirmation

Thank you @jabbr for posting your findings and conclusions. I am just now building a fanless PC for HQPe and Roon. It won't be such high performance as your Xeon but it is something I had planned anyway and need to finish it.

• HDPlex H5 v2 chassis
  • Asus TUF Gaming Wifi motherboard
  • Ryzen 3800X
  • Nvidia GTX 1650 (GDDR5 or 6 not sure yet)

I will be happy if I can run DSD256 with ASDM7EC

If you and @Miska could provide some recommendations or changes to this build (without altering the chassis) that would be greatly appreciated like memory recommendations, ECC or unbuffered, etc.

Thank you in advance

• 1 month later...

HAs anyone used or looked into the Meshify C case for an air cooled PC for HQP? seems to be more compact, provide same cooling (by air), if you need a custom loop then the R5 / R6 seems to be a better option, but since @Miska prefers the R5 I might be missing something obvious.

• 2 months later...