IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

Question for MU1 and Tambaqui owners.

Last year I treated myself to the MMT and I'm delighted with it as a fantastic DAC.

I should call it job done but you know how this hobby is 😁

I'm planning on replacing my Innuos Zenith SE with an MU1 but am balking at the £12k UK price and hoping to pick up a pre-loved or ex-demo unit to avoid spending an amount that would see her finally divorce me for having lost my mind 😜

I've spent last couple days rereading all 58 pages of this thread and the 5 pages on WBF.

AES is clearly needed (probably Sablon as I'm a big fan of Mark's work).

I can therefore sell my USB kit. Phoenix, 2 x Sablon Evo and a Network Accoustics Muon USB. And obviously the Zenith SE. So these immediately help take the sting out of the eye watering price of the MU1.

What's less clear and from what I've read last couple days has less consensus is the LAN improvements impact.

I currently have a Sonore OM delivering fibre into an ER powered by an SR4T. This is kinda non-optional because the fibre is transporting the signal a distance not really viable for ethernet.

More debatable are the rest of the LAN chain: 

Sablon LAN into PhoenixNet into Muon Pro Streaming system (into MMT).

When I bought the Muon Pro Streaming system I compared the following combos between ER and DAC:

1. Sablon LAN only

2. Muon only

3. LAN - PhoenixNet - Sablon LAN

4. Sablon LAN - PhoenixNet - Muon

I concluded at the time the PhoenixNet added a great deal. And the Muon added a great deal. Combined was slightly better but very marginally so. To be honest I could and arguably should have chosen either the PhoenixNet or the Muon as each delivered 90% of the improvement but this hobby being what it is I obviously kept both despite the combo being ever so slightly better.

The MU1 being more immune to Network vagaries has me wondering whether I could dispense with some or all of the above.

From a simplicity perspective the Muon Pro going from ER into the MU1 really appeals and I could then sell the PhoenixNet and Sablon LAN to further lessen the pain of the MU1 purchase.

I'm therefore wondering about the experiences of MU1 and MMT owners with either the PhoenixNet or Muon and any advice around the LAN side of things?

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

Thanks @PYP and @Mike123

I really appreciate the feedback and experience.

As I suspected I'm gonna have to experiment and try different combos to see what's best when I get around to pulling the trigger on the MU1.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

1 hour ago, Fourlegs said:

When I had the MU1 in my system I tried it with and without the PhoenixNET and the Muon Pro. In the end I preferred the PhoenixNET with it and to the extent that I would never consider dispensing with the PhoenixNET in my system whilst I had the MU1 because it helped so much with the sound quality. 

Thanks @Fourlegs,

That's very interesting even if it's not the answer I'm looking for in terms of reducing the box count.

Will defo have to experiment a bit and see what works best in my system. But your direct experience with both is perfect as a data point for my question.

Cheers,

Alan

11 hours ago, skatbelt said:

An alternative: sell the MMT while it still has a good resale value and buy an MU2. Here in the Netherlands I see a trend of DAVE/MU1 and MMT/MU1 combinations for sale with the argument of purchasing the MU2.

Thanks and I can see the rationale but I only bought the MMT in July and there is no way I'm willing to part with it so soon.

21 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Based on my previous rave comments about the tiny £30-ish Linksys wifi dongle, my recommendation is that you try this into the MU1 before making any other decisions about networking components. This is based on MU1 to DAVE, but I doubt that matters much. With the dongle talking to the stock broadband/wifi router (as provided by the service provider) in an adjacent room.

Of course YMMV depending on the networking infrastructure in your home, but for a tiny fraction of the price of single audiophile fuse, you may just find that you don't need ANY networking boxes or cables. A huge saving in boxes, cables, cost and complexity. If you find that your existing networking boxes do indeed sound better than the dongle, well, you've only lost £30.

Hi @TheAttorney,

I've read your posts and experience with the WiFi dongle with interest. I'll admit I'm somewhat sceptical having spent years following the widely accepted dogma that WiFi is inherently noisy and LAN is better. Not that I doubt your experience for a second. More it challenges a deeply held assumption.

But like you said. It'd cost £30 to find  out for myself.

Cheers,

Alan

On 1/22/2024 at 10:06 AM, yellowblue said:

@BigAIMc

As you know I went from Innous Zenith SE with Chord Dave/MScaler, Phoenix USB to MU1 and Tambaqui and really enjoy my new chain (sometimes I can miss the special flavour the SE had, but overall the MU1 is much better). I kept my PhoenixNet because I think it sounds a little better with it than without it in my chain.   

If you buy an older model without S/PDIF be carefull if it hasn´t yet got an overhaul of Grimm. As I wrote earlier I got problems two times with my older 2-series model but Grimm solved it with their great customer service.

Hi Ralph,

I recall your experience and your feedback that the MU1 beats the SE by such a large margin played a pivotal role in my coveting one! I hold you partially responsible 😄 along with the reviews from Christian Punter et al.

And great advice about being selective about avoiding an older preloved model.

Cheers,

Alan

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

This thread could do with a sticky. Best practices or best settings for sound quality on the MU1 (and in time MU2).

I've read the entire thread twice now. Once as it evolved and once as I researched and decided to buy an MU1.

My MU1 arrived on Tuesday 😁. I caved and bought a new one as ran out of patience waiting for a used one.

I've followed all the advice I can recall from here but am sure I read other recommendations that I can't recall. Roon settings etc. My MU1 is connected to my MMT and here's my checklist:

AES - check

Sablon AES cable - check

Roon device volume - check

4FS upsampling - check

Roon DSP disabled - check

But I'm sure there were other suggestions. I think a couple might have been @TheAttorney for Roon settings. And perhaps even MMT settings to try. And no offence but I really don't want to read all 70 pages again! I have a new server to listen to and don't have the time 😉

Any other settings I should be tinkering with?

Cheers,

Alan