IGNORED

Article: Review | Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series 3

17 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Chris on March 4th I made a 25 minute presentation to a Southern California marketing company about high resolution audio. Part of the presentation was the numbers aren't there for DSD.

None of that matters with respect to your comment. Ask Chad (Acoustic Sounds) about how many of his customers want DSD. In the grand scheme of life it’s a small niche, but then again so is golf, given that a tiny percentage of Earth’s 7.7 billion people care about it. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, firedog said:

Chris, I find it interesting you made no mention of MQA playback and how the DAC handles it. Berkeley were big promoters of MQA and how wonderful they said it sounded a few years ago-essentially they agreed it sounded as good as the original, or even better. Even to the extent of coming online and arguing with MQA detractors about it.

They also emphasize their implementation of MQA in the product description. 

My thoughts on MQA, both the technology and company, are well known and needn't be discussed in this review. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

32 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Chris,

I assume that you fed the DAC with the AES from the W20SE?  Did you use the Alpha USB from another source?  Just curious about architecture.  

Bob

PS thanks for the links to the music!  

Here are three common ways I used the RS3. 

Sonore Signature Rendu SE optical > USB > Alpha USB > AES > RS3

W20SE > USB > Alpha USB > AES > RS3

W20SE > AES > RS3

16 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Someone who can afford this DAC is probably not very interested in messing around with USB to I2S converters or I2S PCie cards.

If there was an advantage I’m pretty sure all DACs would use it. Heck, even without an advantage manufacturers implement things because change = $ oftentimes. I2S (externally) just hasn’t caught on. 

• 2 weeks later...