IGNORED

Name that (NUC) sound!

I've noticed with the stock NUC 8i7BEH I use for Euphony server that I can hear a faint high pitched morse code like sound from it in operation. Wondering if anyone

has a clue what that comes from, only additional hardware in it is RAM and and Optane memory. Would an Akasa fanless case eliminate the sound?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

3 hours ago, davide256 said:

I've noticed with the stock NUC 8i7BEH I use for Euphony server that I can hear a faint high pitched morse code like sound from it in operation. Wondering if anyone

has a clue what that comes from, only additional hardware in it is RAM and and Optane memory. Would an Akasa fanless case eliminate the sound?

My best guess would be is that you hear the coils of the switch mode regulators under stress of fluctuating current. 

A case will help.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

I can hear this with my 7i7DN fanless NUC.

I can also hear the same noise from my 2 laptops, one with an older i7 CPU and one with latest 10th gen i7. Very easily heard with ear next to the keyboard when CPU is under load. It doesn't matter if the laptops are battery or mains driven.

I've always assumed it was primarily the CPU vibrating slightly under load, with possibly other components like RAM, clock, etc contributing. That cause is just a complete guess, but I'm sure that it's not specific to NUCs.

most likely coil whine

probable effective 100% cure (i.e to inaudible) - make sure Windows (or other o/s) Power settings are not battling with CPU settings in BIOS (especially CPU speed)

e.g. iirc my problem was "Always On" or "High" Power settings in Windows means CPU speed 100% but if SpeedStep/C States is/are on in ASUS BIOS there is a conflict and this raises any lurking coil whine potential thru the roof

hope helps

By accident I may have found the problem source. I decided the other day to eliminate the Audiphonics USB adaptor for 5v USB so that I could try the LPS 1,2

as power source for EtherRegen, as soon as I did that the sound got much louder/worse. Switching the Lush 2 to the front USB port for the NUC

eliminated the sound.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system